PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Rambler

Bob W
04-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Hello all, a close friend of mine just bought a 2008 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. I had an opportunity to drive it on I90 back to Munster In. Seems to drive nicely and the house is well appointed. Also seems like he got a good deal as Monoco is in bankrupcy and these units are tough to move. Suspension system has 8 airbags. How will an older (early 90's) Prevost compare in drivability?
Bob W

ajducote
04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Since no one else has answered, I will try to help you out.
I now have a 45 foot 1998 Prevost XLV
Prior to this coach I had a 42 foot Monaco Dynasty with a tag axle.
The short answer is, the Prevost rides and handles so much better that you can not believe it until you experience it.
That is how I got the wife to agree to buying the Prevost. We drove the Dynasty to the dealer over some rough roads. Then I made her drive the Prevost over the same roads. She was looking at the road and not watching her speed. When she hit 75 MPH I asked her how fast she thought she was going. She said 60 MPH then looked at the speedometer. At that point she said " OK, now I understand" and the deal was done.
On smooth roads you may not notice as much difference, but on bad roads there is a huge difference. Even on rough roads the Prevost has NO squeaks or rattles. Just a little wind noise.

Bob W
04-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I need to get my hands on a Prevost and check it out.
Bob W

Ray Davis
04-21-2009, 02:07 PM
I was searching for a previous thread, but couldn't locate it. It was similar in that someone purchased a nice newer plastic coach, and as I remember thought it drove nicely etc. Then they took it to Alaska, and I remember reading about "white knuckled" driving.

Again, if I remember the thread, it was sold shortly thereafter.

I'm still trying to locate that thread for you, for reference.

Ray

Bob W
04-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks Ray I would like to read it
Bob W

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks Ray I would like to read it
Bob W

Bob W. I never actually owned a plastic coach, but for 3 years we were in a timeshare and we got plenty of experience in a 40' Discovery.

We went to several FMCA Rallies and drove some of the finest new Plastic Palaces money could buy. Newmar Essex, Country Coach Magna, and several others. They really looked nice and were appointed well, but when you spend $400-$850K for one of them, and the next year they are worth less than half of what you paid then you understand the reason we have all done what we have done, and stepped up to a bus. True they depreciate as well, but you at least have (IMO) something to show for it.

I can only tell you, and my wife will back this up as well........ THERE IS NO COMPARISON TO AN ACTUAL PREVOST BUS, in handling, comfort, stability and overall happiness when traveling in them.

This bus is our first RV, and we just love it.

Hope this helps?

Gary S.

Bob W
04-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks Gary and I appreciate your input.
Bob

garyde
04-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi Bob. I've owned HR Endeavor 36', Monaco Diplomat pusher 38', and a Country Coach Lexa Pusher 42'. Each was a step up from the last in terms of engineering, ride, comfort, and sound.
My Prevost Liberty 45' has taken it to a totally new level. No comparison. Not even close.

Coloradobus
04-22-2009, 12:34 AM
BobW,

Having been in the transportation industry for 20 some years, I became real picky how a rig handled.
Our first motorhome was a 1999 Airstream Cutter Diesel 35ft single slide on a Freightliner chassis with a 3126B Cat engine. The coach was all over the road, and we did drive it to White Horse Yukon. Had it for 10 1/2 months:eek:

Our 2nd coach was a 2000 40ft Country Coach Affinity. Super coach, back when Country Coach meant something before the current management was put in place. Too bad we traded it, but MPD struck. It drove and handled like I wanted it to handle. Niiiiiccccceeee. Had it a year, shoulda kept it.

The the first bus, 2001 CC XL w/2 slides. It was a wieghty rig with the over engineered slide rooms made drive and ride like a beach whale. Had it for a year.

2nd bus, 2002 XLII single slide Marathon. Prevost just drives like I expect and want it to, straight down the road. cutting thru the air even with cross winds.

3rd bus, and current is 2000 H3-45. LOVE IT. We cut thru the air and even push big rigs around when we pass. It has the most rake on the front nose of the 2 prevost bodies, and sloping sides I believe add to it being more aero-dynamic than the XL's We get 8 mpg per average over 2000 miles on the most recent trip to Reno and back to Denver.

We have test driven a Monaco Dynasty, and HR Imperial with the airbags. For our short drives, they handled better than our first coach. But, I think because of the monoque chassis/drivetrain, and weight, the Prevost will ride and handle the best.:D

We recently acquired a 1984 270 Airstream classic motorhome on a P-30 chassis. Even tho it has only 33,000 original miles, it like the other 2 motorized Airstreams we have owned, drive like crap. With the 8RX19.5 radial narrow tires, and its light weight construction, 11,660 full water, fuel, LP, it dances all over the road, even if there is the slightest of breezes.

tdelorme
04-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Harley/Dinette , Harley/Dinette

Bob W
04-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks Jim for the great info. We are Airstream owners as well. We have a 2005 25' International CCD. Pull it with a 2005 Ford F250 with the poer stroke. Nice set up but I feel the need for a Prevost. Must be this sickness you folks are talking about
Bob

Coloradobus
04-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Bob W.
Great, are you members of WBCCI? If so, what Unit?
We are Denco 024. Our herd consists of a '51 Flying Cloud (project not yet tackled), '59 Caravanner, '67 Globetrotter, '79 Trade Wind (FOR SALE), '06 Bambi Q/S and the new '84 270 Classic MH. We tow the '67 w/'69 Caddy Deville Convertible, and the 50's trailers will be towed by a 1959 Ford Country Squire 9 passenger wagon. The '79 25ft we are selling is towed by a '79 F-250 V-8 460 with 47K orginal miles. We just sold our B-190 Ford Class B.
We are WBCCI # 5812

04-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Hello Bob,

Have had some fun in airstreams, owned a 25 Classic, loved the idea pulled it with a GMC Denali took a 25K trip around the US and Ca. Towed nicely but had limited storage and for about 3 months had problem with smells from Glue used at the factory. Would own another but would buy the International this time.

Have owned Monaco and HR 40' pushers, bought them from a friend (dealer) at or close to cost, at 40% off they were just fine for what they were, but do not expect much from any plastic coach. Lots of issues, from ride, quality control is poor, and most technicians at dealers are not qualified and cannot fix most factory problems.

Prevost's are designed and built as seated coaches first, the parts, the techs, the service centers just about everything has been created to meet the DOT regulations and as a result Prevost and Prevost car locations must meet these strict requirements.

I would not think that if HR or Monaco had built a plastic seated coach it would fare well in a roadside DOT inspection.

That is my take. Higher standards equal better result.

Bob W
04-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks follks and yes, we are members of WBCCI, Northern Ill unit. We have had a great time with these folks and have participated in a number of rallies and caravans. Also, thanks for the feedback on the plastic units
Bob

lewpopp
04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Any chance of getting a subject line for Wally Byum and the aluminum suppositories.