PDA

View Full Version : XLII Windshields - On Sale

Jerry Winchester
04-14-2009, 04:10 PM
I called Prevost in Fort Worth to schedule having my formerly rock chipped but now rock cracked windshield replaced when I pass thru there on Friday and they informed me the windshield was "On Sale", so I called Prevost Parts who gave me the skinny.

XLII Windshield is regularly - $519 each
Now on sale for - $419
If you buy 5 or more - $319 each

Now here is the rub. You can't mix right and left sides. You have to buy all of one side or the other. And they are drop shipped from the glass plant direct to you.

So the good news is, if you want or need to change out a windshield, this is the time to do it. With the labor, I can get mine changed out for +/-$600 and this is regularly more than $900.

Now if I can just get all the Houston area deuce owners to pony up, we would have a batch of these for future use. But Loc has his phone set on "SHUN" and I don't know where Spongebob is hiding.

Petervs
04-14-2009, 05:56 PM
I ordered 10 of the XL windshields today for those close to me here in the northwest USA, and the Prevost parts guy told me they are also having a sale on air condiotioning parts, like the over the rooad AC compressors, etc.

Might be an opportunity to take advantage of that one too.

I do not have OTR air, so I asked the parts guy to let me know when they had a sale on Series 60 engines!

Ray Davis
04-14-2009, 08:47 PM
I will eventually be needing a RH windshield. I could potentially come through enroute to OKC, or pick up there.

Ray

Sid Tuls
04-14-2009, 09:24 PM
I will eventually be needing a RH windshield. I could potentially come through enroute to OKC, or pick up there.

Ray

Hi Ray could we get them at the same price right here in Mira Loma Prevost? I need on on right side. How long does it take to put one in? I'am talking the guys @ Prevost and how much? Hope you have a great time this coming weekend at Outdoor Resorts.

mikedee
04-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Go figure, The only time in my life I don't have a broken windshield and they put them on sale. It takes about 1.5 hours to do each of my windshields.

On my 01 they blackout film the top.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Well JDUB, since I was hiding out at Prevost Ft. Worth from Sunday thru Tuesday, you should have called me. I have a cell phone you know?

I probably could have brought you back a case of them thair windshields in my bay. But I am back in Houston now so as usual, your a day late ! :D

I don't need either one of the windshields right now, ( knock on wood ) so will have to pass on having one for stock, besides I just dropped a couple dollars too many on my repairs yesterday, and Peg won't let me have any more money. :eek:

Gary S.

Ray Davis
04-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Sid,

I have never personally changed an XL2 windshield, but have seen it down. As Mike indicated, they blacked out the top of the window when I had one changed at Dallas Prevost.

Other than being much larger and heavier than the XL windows, it does seem that they are installed using the same techniques that I learned on the XL. I would think that with a couple of guys, a couple of those glass suction things and a platform to get up near the windows, and it could be done by mere mortals?

But, it seems we need to get 5 units to get the discounted price?

FYI, I just arrived out in ORA Rancho (east of Temecula) Really nice out, but pretty windy. I would assume the Indio area will be as well for a couple of days, anyway.

Ray

flyu2there
04-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Ray,

Windy...my toupee was last seen over Santa Fe climbing through 24000 feet and it departed my noggin in Yuma. No worries, I am going down to Costa Rica on TACA (:p) and ordering up a new one...this time a Beatles model.

Anyway I still don't understand why everyone is buying windshields...hell, the cost of glass coverage is cheap; I understand guys buying 1k deductable for collision but for glass....just doesn't make any sense. 30 dollars or so each year...leave the driving to us!

John

Ray Davis
04-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Actually you got a point. I think I have $50 deductible on glass, but after the fire, I'm kinda afraid to hit my insurance company with too many claims!!! :eek:

phorner
04-15-2009, 09:16 PM
If you have a Florida policy, by law it's a $0 deductible for windshields if you have the comprehensive coverage.

:)

flyu2there
04-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Ray,

Some years ago I was a part owner of an auto body shop and as such I became familiar with policies/deductables. As I mentioned on Peter RV's thread, a comprehensive claim is not counted as a loss...that's the law. Should you have a low deductable on windscreens, let em do it....if nothing else you get a semblance of a guarantee...

Best,
John

Jerry Winchester
04-22-2009, 11:20 AM
A couple of things here. First I called my insurance and glass is covered under the standard deductable and yes it counts as a claim.

Then some clarification on the pricing. When Prevost installs the glass, you actually get it for $319 and they cap the labor at 3 hrs. The guy said sometimes it takes an hour sometimes it takes 4. Depends on what all is in the way and with mine they had to black out the top 10" of the glass to hide the shades and other gear, so that took a little longer.

The guys worked like sled dogs to get these installed. They used that foamy glass cleaner as a lubricant to get the glass fitted to the seal.

I also had a speedometer bulb changed while we had access to the back of the dash with the windshield out. It would have been a major pain to do it otherwise.

Ray Davis
04-22-2009, 01:21 PM
SO, given what you observed there, and out at Kerrville, other than being larger and heavier, was there a difference in the way that the windshield was replaced? Do you think that it's possible that an owner could do it, perhaps with two people, and glass suction grabbers and a platform to stand on?

My gut feeling at this point is that the glass is much bigger, and heavier, but the technique of replacing the glass is the same as we learned on my XL in Kerrville?

Maybe Dale J, the glass master replacer could chime in with his thoughts here. I'd be willing to replace one in OKC, should we think it's do-able.

Ray

Jerry Winchester
04-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Oh you could do it alright, but it will handle nothing like the XL one. You are right in that it is very large and they had the suction cups on it to handle it.

Then they also strategically positioned the cups and kicked them with their heels to move it into place. Lots of lube and prying with the blue sticks. Then they must have hammered them with their fists about a hundred times trying to butt them into place and work them into the rubber seal.

But first they had to hack them out of the seal as they were sealed in there with Silkaflex. Then before they installed the locking strip, he used an air caulk gun and ran a bead of Silkaflex between the glass and the seal.

When the locking strip was installed, he scored the sealant that had oozed out then scraped it off with a razor blade scraper. They installed three different windshields while I was there and two side (door and passanger) windows on an "H". They had to cut and break those out because they are glued in. The new "H" windshield is actually larger than the XLII so that must be a booger to deal with.