PDA

View Full Version : Full Length Mud Flap

LarryB
04-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Has anyone 'really' explored the value of the mud flap that hangs on the back of many coaches?
I'm told by some, that the TOAD and the back of the coach will stay cleaner without the flap, and that the flap creates some air currents that actually defeats the flap's original purpose.
I have noticed that not all coaches use the flap, those of you that have had both configuration or that have removed the flap, care to comment?

I'm sure this has been discussed but I didn't find much on the subject in the 'search' mode.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-11-2009, 05:30 PM
I doubt if anybody has done a complete analysis. I suspect it probably minimizes stone dings on the front of the toad because any that pass it are probably so low they are unlikely to chip the paint on the front of the toad.

That's a guess.

As to other things it might affect such as engine cooling, dust on the rear of the coach and toad, or even fuel mileage I don't know if anybody has ever tried to document the affect of the mud flap on those issues.

I removed mine because my driveway transitions from near level to uphill so quickly that in normal ride height my exhaust tip and my rear bumper are extremely close to the ground. I not only had to remove the flap, I also had to reroute the Webasto and generator exhausts because the tips on those which exited directly beneath the bumper were getting smashed.

I also removed it on our first coach but that was because it was damaged coming down a steep driveway onto the street and I did not get the rear of the coach raised fast enough to keep it from dragging.

dalej
04-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Our coach came with that big flap across the rear, I ran it 2-3 years that way and finally took it off and have been free of it ever since. Don't miss it one bit and my service work is much easier.