PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 7200 GPS W/GXM Antenna

04-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I have recently purchased and installed the Garmin 7200 GPS with the XM radio using the Garmin GXM antenna. All went well, installed the unit next to the backup camera, on the dash face, looks great, located just where it will work best, (well not quite)but I do not have enough cable to run the GXM antenna up to the roof to replace the one that is there from the old GPS. The old antenna comes down the center window post and drops out part way down to the old unit. The GXM comes with an extension but there is not enough cable to span the distance. Garmin does not offer another option other than to say (the obvious) you need a longer wiring harness, anyone installed this unit, had this issue, know the solution. The unit does work on the dash, but not well and looses sat contact too often, need a better plan.

BrianE
04-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Bruce, One extension should do it if you mount the antenna on the roof, directly above and about a foot to the rear of the center post. I didn't have an issue with this when I installed the GXM on Tom's Green Machine. I may have used 2 extensions but I don't think so. The 7200 is mounted in the original back up monitor position and the back up camera lead plugged into the 7200 with an adapter cable.

adamdegraff
04-12-2009, 01:43 AM
Hey, does that 7200 have a truck or bus setting for "vehicle type?" Or does it just assume you are a car?

~Adam

04-12-2009, 08:37 AM
It does have a Bus setting, have no idea what or if it really works, as I have not used it yet.

Brian: How did you snake the GXM antenna through the roof and down the pillar with it's large connection plug at the ends?? That big black 90º connection takes up a lot of room in the chase.

I like the idea of exchanging the backup camera with the 7200, but will the 7200 display all the data that the backup monitor does now (Marathon) as I get a bank of readouts for lots of stuff, batteries, water, black, grey, genset etc, will the 7200 display all of this, and how would one gain access to everything?

BrianE
04-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Bruce, The Kenwood DNX 8120 that I recently installed in our Royale uses the GXM antenna also, will pull the centerpost fairing today and forward routing details. Would doubt if the Marathon info pages can be displayed on the 7200 however it can handle 2 video inputs. Marathon tech support might be able to help.

Adam, the 7200 has Truck, Bus, Car/Motorcycle selections. Have compared them all and can't tell the difference. Asked Garmin support and was assured their is a difference in routing preferences but they couldn't be specific.

04-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks Brian, I will look forward to the new install info. Mostly how did you snake the 90º plug through the opening and spaces. I could not see any way to accomplish, I must be missing an important part of the puzzle.