PDA

View Full Version : Tough to Maneuver??

Bob W
04-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Hello all, have a question, is there a significant difference between maneuvering a 40' Prevost and a similar sized plastic palace? Also, in our quest to actually have the opportunity to look closely at an older Prevost we are curious if any member is anywhere near the Chicago area and would allow us to take a look. We would be happy to provide some fine wine.
Bob W

Joe Cannarozzi
04-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Bob IMO our 40 XL is easier to maneuver that a plastic counterpart of the same size. The wheels turn to almost 90 degree and combined with the tag up there is not another 40ftr that could compete.

We are on the south side but I think ours is actually older that what you were curious about. If I am incorrect you are welcome to come and see what 25 years looks like on a 40XL

It is a mess I have stuff opened up from stem to stern:o

Joe Cannarozzi
04-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Just call Bob I am Italian and I can talk way quicker than I can type. Typing also ties up my hands in a very unnatural manor for speaking:rolleyes:

Cell 708-243-7871 anytime

Alek&Lucia
04-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Bob,

If you like to see H3-45 in action, we are only 2.5 hr SW from the Loop.
Call us at 815-437-2856

Alek

Bob W
04-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks folks, i will give you a call and set something up
Bob W

rodburtonmusic
04-11-2009, 11:57 PM
And I'm in Homewood...so you have lots of options!

Joe Cannarozzi
04-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Well Bob all we need to hear from is Tully. That would give you the opportunity to see an 85 Hickox, 87 Executive, 91 CC and a 2000 Royal H-3. We are all close enough together that it could be done in 1 good day.

Rod and I are 15min apart. I have Tullys RO system I need to return to him and so I will be seeing him in the near future, a 30min ride continuing from Rods. Alek and Lucia are another 1.5 hr from there, we have not visited them in entirely too long and she is a great cook:).

Just say the word.

truk4u
04-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Joe,

I think the turn cut on my non IFS is about 45 degree's and the IFS is about 52. Is the extreme wheel cut of 90 degrees unique to your vintage bus? Both my plastic 40' CC's where 55 degrees if I remember correctly.

Will Garner
04-12-2009, 01:45 PM
OK, a 90 degree wheel turn would put the steer tires parallel with the front of the bus.:cool: How the heck are you going to make any progress at turning when all you could possibly achieve with a 90 degree wheel turn is a couple of flat spotted steer tires.:eek:

Now if your Prevost has front wheel drive, a 90 degree wheel turn would result in severe wear on tires on the two rear axles as all you could be doing is spinning the bus in circles!

Just something to think on.

Ray Davis
04-12-2009, 05:36 PM
No one else addressed this, so let me throw in a couple of cents here, coming previously from the motorhome world to a 40 footer, then to a 45 footer.

Although as others have indicated you can turn sharply in a 40 foot, you cannot drive this exactly like a 40 foot plastic coach. Why, because the wheel base is further apart.

A 40 regular coach will turn sharply because of a much shorter wheel base, and the backend will in turn swing much more sharply than a bus. Driving a regular coach you have to be more concerned with the back end swinging around.

ON a bus, you have to essentially drive, the back wheels, meaning you cannot make a turn, until you are nearly clear of the obstruction (curb, etc). This means, in comparison to a regular coach, you will make much longer (and possibly wider turns). On the flip side, on a 40 foot bus there is very little overhang behind the back wheels to be worried about.

This difference comes into play quite often when you call ahead to an RV park, and say "can you handle a 45 foot rig", and they answer "sure". Only to find that turning areas are at best too tight, and at worst impossible.

The bus drives much more smoothly than a regular coach, again due the distance to the back wheels. On straight driving, it's a no brainer, and anyone can jump in and drive down a freeway. Where you have to be very careful is in tight areas, where you cannot turn too early, or you'll be scaping a sign pole down the right side of your bus.

Ray

tdelorme
04-12-2009, 09:35 PM
How about backing up. Didn't one member have an issue backing his bus up a year or so back. I could be wrong (I'm not) but wasn't it one of our Houston members that had said problem?? I just can't remember which member it was, but I'm sure it wasn't Gary or Loc or Hector. Can I get a "bite me, Mel" here??

Jon Wehrenberg
04-13-2009, 07:09 AM
I think everyone is failing to comment on the fact that with some experience driving our coaches we intuitively learn where the corners of the bus are and we can tell by looking if we can make a turn.

It just takes time and a little experience.

Bob W
04-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks everyone for you responses. I appreciate your help very much.
Bob W