PDA

View Full Version : Surge protector

lonesome george
04-09-2009, 05:13 PM
We need to purcahse a new surge protector and I'm thinking about the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, has anyone used this unit? Is it a good one? Or suggestions on some other type.

nrhareiner
04-09-2009, 05:30 PM
I have used the unit without any problems. However, recently there have been some posts withy people having repeated problems and failures. In fact, my original one committed suicide when a 65,000 volt line was hit by a truck and fell against a 12,000 volt line. That line supplied all of the 50 amp plugs at the OKC fairgrounds. Many coaches at multiple thousands of dollars worth of damage. In mine all I had to do was replace the surge protector.

dale farley
04-09-2009, 08:48 PM
George, I too, have heard others complain about the units, but I've been using one for over 2 years on two different buses with no problems. If mine quit today, I would buy another.

If you buy one, make sure you shop around. There are varied prices on them. This is where I bought mine, but you may find a better price. At the time, they were the cheapest. They are now $348. http://www.tweetys.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=37 After doing a quick search, this still looks like the best price.

lewpopp
04-09-2009, 09:31 PM
FWIW, I was told as I was looking for a surge protector to forget about the Hughes systems because they use the title of surge protector but are not true surge protectors.

This electrical engineer suggested the Progressive uit and we've been happy ever since. Just what I was told and I trust this guy.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-10-2009, 08:06 AM
This is what I use.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=136

I don't feel as confident as others giving a glowing endorsement because I don't think any of us knows if these work or not until there is a spike. And if there is a surge, and it protected the coach how would we know?

All I can say is the little glowing lights light up every time to assure me that the power outlet in the campground is wired correctly, and I hope the protector priotects.

This is kind of like hoping your air bag in your car works if you are ever involved in a collision. You will not know until it is too late.

truk4u
04-10-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm using the same one as Jon and so far so good. If I'm not mistaken, the higher priced one with the LED's and more gizmo's is the one that has been giving folks trouble.

dale farley
04-10-2009, 09:34 AM
I like the EMS-PT50C because it provides a constant visual of voltage, amps, and errors that may exist coming directly from the source. We have a tremendous amount of lightening strikes in my immediate area, and my unit often resets from high or low power surges.

In the last eight years, I've lost main circuit boards in 12 electric gate openers and 8 electric fence chargers to bad voltage/current, so I don't want to take any chances with the bus. I can look at my codes on the surge protector and know basically what caused the reset. Whether that knowledge is worth 3 times the cost of the SSP50 unit is debateable.

lonesome george
04-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Dale, Tom, Lew, Kim and Jon thank you for your posts on this question. We will end up with one or the other for sure.

MangoMike
04-13-2009, 12:48 PM
George,
I've been using mine for a couple of years. No problems.

More Pixs over at prevoman.

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Cool%20Toos/surge/Surgepg1.html

Mike

bluevost
04-13-2009, 12:58 PM
George and others,

I also use this unit and love it and would buy another. It's not only the spikes I am concerned with. In older RV parks the power is "iffy" to begin with, the power poles have been worked on by untrained electricians (read minimum wage teenagers riding around in a golf cart with a bucket full of tools). I like the idea of this unit giving me a "error" readout on the power pole before I plug in the bus.

Good luck,

Ken

Jerry Winchester
04-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Well I liked the Progressive Ind. one as well, but my first on just quit working (display blank, no power) and now the second one has quit as well (display works, just no power going thru it). Both times it was working when I unplugged it for travel and then it would not work when I plugged it back in, so either it doesn't travel well or it needs a more delicate place for storage than in the plumbing bay.

I am going to call them about this last one, but I have to think they will get tired of replacing them before long.

lonesome george
04-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Jerry,
Please let us know how things come out with the replacement unit.

phorner
04-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Jerry,

I had basically the same experience. Mine would be fine when I unplugged it and then a few hundred miles down the road it wouldn't work.

Mine has been replaced 4 times..... so far #4 is working fine.

However, the company indicated that my replacement units were actually "refurbished" ones, although they looked new. So, when they sent me #4, they sent an actual new replacement unit.

I like the protector, the one in our old RV was permanently installed and never had a problem.

But the portable one we have now has been a challenge.

Jerry Winchester
04-13-2009, 03:12 PM
I guess my issue is I really like the unit and especially the display. I am just at a loss as to what the problem is.

I'll post my results.

truk4u
04-13-2009, 08:43 PM
It worked before Mango used it a few weeks ago and tried plugging it in upside down while Loc, Hector, Gary and I watched!:eek:

Where the hell is the other cord, that one didn't work?

garyde
04-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Hey Ken. who you calling a teenager?

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-14-2009, 08:42 AM
I have the same unit and it has worked fine for almost two years now. :cool: Maybe I shouldn't have said anything? :confused:

How difficult would an in-line installed unit be to put in one of our busses? It would be easier to have an inline protector, but maybe not if they keep going bad?

Gary S.

grantracy
04-14-2009, 08:56 AM
We have the same unit, I thought the first unit was defective as it was showing a bunch of codes in the display however there was no power to the bus. Called and was informed that it takes a few minutes for the unit to run its tests before it allows power to the bus( will read instructions next time)in any event while on that particular trip we had lightning strike a tree which jumped into a pedestal next to us. It cooked the guys coach on the other side of the pedestal. We had no damage,whether it was the protector or dumb luck I can't say.

bluevost
04-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey GaryD,

You know those kids aren't qualified to carry your tool belt, let alone work on a power pole we plug our busses in.

Hope you make it this weekend,

Ken

Jon Wehrenberg
04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
FWIW, my daughter's company manufactures the power outlets we plug our buses into.

There are all sorts of things we would like to do to improve the outlets, but a reality we have to deal with is that RV park owners will buy product from a competitor for a $1 difference in price regardless of features.

Surge protectors could be an integral part of every power outlet, but until it is madated or part of the certification standard it will never happen. That is the place for surge protection as well as protection against high and low voltage. But if the power at the pedestal turned off because the campground had low voltage then the individual campsite tenant would no longer think it was an isolated issue because he would see every other site occupant had experienced an automatic shut off. At that point the RV park owner would have to face the issue instead of sloughing it off.