PDA

View Full Version : Grease Fittings

dale farley
04-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Does anyone know how many grease fittings there are under the front end? I looked in the maintenance manual, but it doesn't seem to show all the fittings on the "lubrication" page. I have greased 6 on each side, but don't know if there are any I've missed.

I have to turn the bus around before I grease the u joints and change the oil, so I want to make sure I have all the ones on the front finished. Unlike Jon with his 75' pit, mine is only 20 feet long. I remember having troble finding all the fittings the last time, so I am going to write it down this time.

Joe Cannarozzi
04-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Upper kingpin, lower kingpin. 2 brake shoe pins, s-cam, slack adjuster, tie-rod end.

That would be 7.

The drivers side has another 2 on either end of the drag link.

dale farley
04-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I guess I'm mising some then. So you're saying there are 9 on the driver's side? A couple places where I thought there would be a fitting seemed to be sealed with no fitting.

lonesome george
04-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Dale,
I think you have IFS? I greased ours about a month ago and I remember having fittings on the top and bottom king pins, inner and outer tie rod ends, left and right bell cranks (Prevost calls them levers) the center link has one on each end, on the drivers side both ends of the drag link and the u-joint on the end of the steering shaft. I think thats all of them. I'm with you about finding things that I thought should have grease fittings that did not, nothing on the ball joints.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Joe is thinking solid axle and drum brakes.

rfoster
04-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Dale: My bus has a diagram plastered on the inside of the steering compartment door as to location of grease fittings. I don't believe that is unique to CC (as my memory is failing) I think the Liberty had one as well.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Yes Roger, your safe for now :D the diagram is there.

JIM

dale farley
04-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I'll look for the diagram tomorrow, and see if I got them all.

dale farley
04-09-2009, 08:15 PM
I did look at the diagram in the steering compartment, and it seems to be a little different than the one in the Prevost Service Manual. I ended up greasing 9 fittings on the driver's side (including the one in the steering arm compartment) and 7 on the passengers side. If there are any more, they are completely hidden.

I am assuming I don't have any slack adjusters on the front since they are disk brakes? Someone tell me if I am wrong about that.

The photo shows what you look like when you let one of the oil filters slip out of your hand and gives you an oil bath. Of course, I looked pretty rough after being under the bus all day even before the oil bath.

truk4u
04-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Dale,

Looks like a badge of honor to me!:p

dale farley
04-09-2009, 09:30 PM
At least, I know my oil is changed, and the chassis is properly lubed. Hopefully, it was a little cheaper than what Prevost charges.

merle&louise
04-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Dale,

I will pass on a little hint; if you punch a hole in the bottom of the spin on oil filter and let it drain for an hour or so it won't be slippery when you unscrew it.:D

Joe Cannarozzi
04-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Dale half of my work jeans look like that after they come out of the washer:eek:

The contrast between the top and the bottom can be blinding...... PAUL:rolleyes:

Do U use the baby powdered plastic gloves, inquiring minds want to know:confused:

lewpopp
04-09-2009, 09:44 PM
We had a short presentation about 2 months ago by Detroit Desiel and they were promoting service work on our coaches on our lot at no extra charge.

Some of the guys took advantage of it and I was one. During the oil change the tech noticed that my tranny pan was pushed up. I would guess it was done prior to me owning it but it needed to be fixed.

I took it to DD today to have the pan changed, of course the fluid replaced and the coolant drain and flush. they had package prices for all of it and it seemed like a decent deal.

Upon completion, they gave me a bill that was incomprehensable and I asked them for one with common sense so I could explain it to the next owner when the time comes. Theylooked at me and printed out 3 more pages that still was gobbly-gook. After getting an explaination of what they said, I paid my bill and got out. I doubt I could piece it together even now. CRAP.

Isn't it too bad that we don't have someone that takes pride in their workmanship, their billing, and their care of the customer in the end.

I never let anyone out of my sight in the repair business or even later on in another business that didn't know what they were paying for. I would be embarrassed if I ever let that happen.

You'd think that DD would be smart enough to get their shit together.

There, I said it and I'm glad.

dale farley
04-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Tuga, I have punched holes before, and I don't know why I didn't today. Stupidity, I guess. Actually what caused me to drop one of the filters was that I was holding it with my left hand, and I currently have a bad left shoulder, so it gave way as soon as the weight of the filter was on it.

I went to the Dr. Tuesday and got a shot of cortisone in it and was told "not to use it for 5 days". More stupidity on my part. But I got the servicing done anyway, and I know it was done right.

garyde
04-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi Dale. You look cleaner than me when I did the front end. I have not figured out how to get under the drive train however, since I just have the Jon stands.

dalej
04-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Gary, when you have your bus on the stands, tell me how much room at eye level do you see between the top of the drive tire and the bottom of the fender skirt? I have about 2 inches, which allow me to get under the back without a pit.

You might just need to add a 2x8x8 under the stand, I would use a hardwood.

rfoster
04-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Dale: Your picture reminds of the old cliche' : " You should have seen the other guy."

dale farley
04-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Gary,

I made these ramps a couple years ago, and they really make a big difference. If I didn't have the pit, I would use the ramps all the time. I plan to use them in the next couple days to rinse my condenser unit that is under the bus. I don't want to be spraying water in the pit area.

BrianE
04-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Dale, Seems to me you posted the formula for building your ramps but I can't seem to find it. Would you please review how much plywood it took and how you cut it. Many thanks.

dale farley
04-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Brian, This is the link to the post about the ramps that you are referring to. http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=772&highlight=ramps&page=4

I started another thread "Bus Ramps" and included thespecifics for making the ramps. This should make it easier to find the instructions in the future.

04-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Gary,

I made these ramps a couple years ago, and they really make a big difference. If I didn't have the pit, I would use the ramps all the time. I plan to use them in the next couple days to rinse my condenser unit that is under the bus. I don't want to be spraying water in the pit area.
That is an excellent job Dale you did making the ramps. great idea for those of us who cannot gain access to a pit or run to Prevost Car when we want to get under the bus. Question: When you run the bus up onto the ramp and go over the other end, what control height are you using to make sure the front does not hit the bays?? I have a limited space where i keep my bus, would it be possible to laminate the necessary 3/4" plywood together so the ramp had a scaled elevation in both directions?, or just turn it around. How much room is required at the landing point, can this be done with 4x8 plywood stacked? Really nice idea. I am no rocket scientist but this seems feasible even for me.