PDA

View Full Version : Average Annual Maintenance Cost

Bob W
04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
I am a Prevost wannabee and I am interested in knowing how much I should expect to pay for annual maintenance cost on an early to mid 1990's Prevost.

Bob W

dalej
04-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Bob, are you planning on doing the maintenance yourself or taking it into a service bay and having the service done. It will also depend on if you get a good bus or not.

I do my own maintenance work. I figure a oil filter and oil change each year, $50. I usually have to put in a windshield each year,$150. I figure a new tire each year, even though you change them out in groups, $600. I figure I would spend $1000 each year, by the time I add in a seal, batteries, belt and/or the other stuff that needs maintenance.

The House side of the bus will take everything else in you bank account. :)

rodburtonmusic
04-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Seriously...a windshield a year? You know...if you strap yourself in with that little belt...you'll stop going through the windows when you have to stop hard!

Curious...why? Flying obstacles?

dalej
04-07-2009, 02:58 PM
I think living in the Midwest. They gravel the roads when there is a chance of ice. On frosty mornings, someone will pass me and that little stone will leave it's mark.

It's still better then me passing a stone, which I don't ever want to do.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-07-2009, 03:36 PM
On the POG home page is a maintenance schedule that I use.

I go far beyond the recommended maintenance schedule but it is with an eye toward the future. I don't intend to flip my bus anytime soon so with oil changes every 5000 miles, plus a preventive maintenance schedule for the replacement of items I know are going to fail such as air bags, batteries, tires, brake chambers etc. my numbers are different than Dale's. I also do all my own work so I don't incur any labor costs. If you are not going to do your own work, those that have work done by shops should chime in here and give some costs you can expect. We probably run an average number of miles, maybe a little more and it seems the bus costs about $.80 to $1.00 per mile to operate and that includes fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc. But does not include depreciation. Depreciation makes all other costs look like chump change.

Even if you do not do your own work it is highly recommended you get to understand your coach. You may not beleive this, but there are service facilities out there that have perfected the art of dollar displacement. They remove them from you wallet and insert paid receipts in their place. They offer no pain killers when performing that operation.

jelmore
04-07-2009, 04:11 PM
I was just going over our expenses for the last two year and 25,000 miles. It's extraordinary what can be spent if you don't do the work yourself.

For example, service items that include differential, transmission, engine, chassis, generator and wheel alignments have been $4,200. Repairs that include 12v alternator replacement, starter replacement, windshield repair, webasto service, suspension bushings, king pin replacement, air system repairs, patio awning motor, etc. have been a stunning $13,000. And miscellaneous expenses that include new satellite dish, all new tires, all new batteries (house, chassis and generator) have been another stunning $13,000.

It's an incredible amount of money to spend. However, we bought the bus at $50,000 under market at the time (which has disappeared) but this machine is in great shape, very dependable, and has many, many miles and years remaining on what what we have spent. Had we spent that $50,000 at Liberty up front, I would have missed out on all this education!

That's my confessional. Hope it helps. It gags me.

It's financially important to shop around for service and repairs. Drive axle seal replacement at Capital Truck was $330. The other side at Prevost was $500. Generator service at KenKool was $120. At Prevost was $295. My wallet is thin.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Jim's post is an eye opener for those of us that do our own work and really do not see the real costs of ownership from the viewpoint of someone who has no choice but to rely on others.

Even more eye opening is the difference between what Prevost charges and what other shops charge.

There isn't a hub seal on the bus that cannot be replaced in about 2 hours. The drive takes the longest and that is about 2 hours with the tag and steer a little less. Last time I bought one they were around $75 so Prevost is charging a lot for their efforts.

I don't want to chase anyone away from ownership and I don't want to discourage folks from doing the required maintenance because owning and using the coach is a great experience. But Bob W. asked a question few purchasers ask, and if they have stretched to buy the coach they are then confronted with unexpected costs to maintain it.

My advice to Bob is to recognize that any coach you buy will require some expenditures. In the long run the cheapest coach is the best maintained coach you can buy that does not require the buyer to redo the fabrics or repaint, or bring up to good condition. The dogs out there that the seller says just need some TLC are very expensive coaches no matter how cheap the purchase price.

When I bought my current coach I did not know the maintenance status so I "zeroed" it out. I replaced every drop of fluids, every filter, had new batteries, no tire was older than 3 years, and I replaced all brake chambers, and soon thereafter all air bags and all suspension system valves. I might have invested $5,000 (probably less) but it has operated reliably and requires nothing now other than normal maintenance.

merle&louise
04-07-2009, 06:33 PM
BobW,

Jon & Jim covered the operational costs plus insurance etc. Jon mentioned depreciation costs. That has to be figured in also; I would guess that 5% per year is about the right amount. If you buy a $300,000 bus then $15,000 per year will be lost in depreciation. No one wants to believe that their bus will depreciate that much but believe me, it will!

Another thing, these buses are not easy to sell. Figure a few years of advertising and talking to would be buyers and sending them pictures and listening to "I have to sell my current POS first before I buy your bus." And then of course, there's the guy who wants to trade some real estate in New Mexico for your bus. Selling can be a PITA.

Just want to give you a little reality check BEFORE you buy! Is it fun owning one of these beautiful machines? You bet it is, but it ain't no walk in the park!

dalej
04-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Hey you guys, he was asking about annual maintenance cost.... Don't scare him off with the real cost of ownership, he's hasn't bought yet. :)

Jon Wehrenberg
04-07-2009, 07:48 PM
OK, Bob.......One oil change per year is all you will ever be required to spend any money on for maintenance. These are million miles buses.

You wouldn't be interested in a big bridge I have to sell in Brooklyn would you?

Bob, the only hope I can give you is if you are a plane owner. Comared to those costs this bus thing is about as cheap as it gets.

phorner
04-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Since you asked, we purchased our bus in September, 2007 and have spent $15,379.64 so far.

And we have several maintenance issues yet to be addressed before we hit the road this season.

And we have not yet spent any money on tires or batteries as I had expected. Although that day is soon approaching and will add about $9,000 to the total bill.

However, that being said, a substantial percentage of this was spent on repairs/upgrades that will never need to be repeated in our lifetime of owning this bus.

I also don't personally consider the depreciation as a factor. To us, it's simply part of the cost of enjoying this lifestyle. Since we live in the bus full time, we figure that we aren't maintaining another "house" somewhere.... so no need to worry about replacing the roof or furnace or plumbing or whatever.

Think of the money we've saved in snow shovels, lawn mowers and leaf rakes!

And, the experiences we've had, the places we've seen and the friends we've made are priceless.

Good luck in your shopping..... go for it!

Bob W
04-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks All for your responses regarding annual maintenance cost. i think i am reasonably mechanical and not afraid to dig in to stuff. The costs are not for the faint of heart. I will keep thinking and looking.
thanks again
Bob W

Sid Tuls
04-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Bob, The comments made me curious so I added all of my maintence on my bus for the past 15 months and it came to $2364.56 and I put on 34680 miles on it. Oh by the way that is having Prevost in Mira Loma, Ca. do my work. I change my oil and air filter every 12,000 miles.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Bob, If you have a budget for the bus purchase, just make sure you hold some money back in reserve. The condition of the bus and the completeness of the maintenance records will be a guide.

It is unrealistic to think anything as complex and capable as these buses are will go forever without repairs or maintenance. Yet there should not be a penny's worth of difference in maintenance between one of these and a plastic palace. If you buy a conventional motorhome with a diesel engine and air brakes that is about the same size as you are contemplating you will still need to buy tires and batteries, do oil changes, deal with air suspension issues, etc.

If you buy a Prevost, and as Paul says you insure certain things are taken care of, you aren't going to worry about them again. On a bus that was built in 1994 for example if it hasn't been done, it needs air bags, brake chambers, suspension system valves, and probably shocks for example. Get that done (or do it yourself) and from that point on your maintenance is oil changes and the routine replacement of batteries and tires. Along the way you may replace a relay or two, have some AC issues, or need to fix the Webasto, but none of those will break the bank.

If you cannot afford to maintain the coach don't think for a minute that getting a conventional motorhome shields you from similar issues. The only thing you can count on with a conventional motorhome is that it may be newer for the same dollars, but it will not be more reliable, and it will not outlive you.

ajducote
04-08-2009, 09:03 AM
A lot depends on the age and condition of the coach when you buy it. You could have huge 1st year expenses or with the right bus and the right seller have very little.
Example: ( in very round numbers)
Tires, if you buy from a dealer see if you can get all new tires installed as part of the purchase. That is about 5K for all new tires.

If the house batteries are new or almost new that could save about $1500.
If all filters and fluids are changed as part of the PDI that saves about $800-1000 for the 1st year.

My coach was 5 years old and had 145,000 miles on it when I bought it 5 years ago. I do a lot of my own work and would guesstimate that NORMAL yearly maint cost run about $1500.
BUT, at the 10 year mark I did the following:
New airbags, new shocks, a few air parts, fix the dash air, and all fluid and filter changes. I had all this done for about $5800.

Broken Aqua Hot (worn out burner head) cost $1600.
New starting batteries about $300
Generator maint, not much $ but needed.
Windshield once in a while.

real money can be spent on the interior on things like:
New HD flat screen TV
New sound systems
New sat dish
New window shades/window treatments
new floors
new fridge

Like I said, the newer and the better maintained the coach is to start with, the lower the INITIAL yearly cost. But as time goes on, things will need to be replaced. Plan ahead, do some every year and it should not be to bad.

I try to do about $8K a year all total in maint and upgrades.
BUT much more expensive is the monthly note, insurance, deprecation, fuel, campground cost all added up makes for 1 expensive toy.

BUT IT IS WORTH IT!!!!!

Danss
04-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Just think, you could have purchased a used Condo on the beach most anywhere 3 or 4 years ago for lets say $700,000 and paid dues of approx. $600 per month and sold it in the last several months for $250,000 (if you could find a buyer) That figures out to about to about $119,700 per year loss.
I will take my Condo on wheels anytime! Dan

tdelorme
04-08-2009, 09:33 AM
So, Bob, you have gotten a lot of great answers to your question. What no one has pointed out yet is the one thing that is most important.

Owning a Prevost is PRICELESS, buy a bus!!

Bob W
04-09-2009, 09:29 AM
I think there is something wrong with me, all I think about is buying an old Prevost. Is there any cure to this malady?

Joe Cannarozzi
04-09-2009, 10:03 AM
No cure. Even if you buy one, it just gets worse.

phorner
04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Bob,

No cure, but a purchase will alleviate the symptoms for awhile....

Alek&Lucia
04-09-2009, 04:56 PM
I think there is something wrong with me, all I think about is buying an old Prevost. Is there any cure to this malady?

Bob,

No cure. You will buy your first Prevost soon, then second, then ....
So many Prevosts, so little time :)

Alek

lewpopp
04-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Bob W.,

I have just what you are looking for right here in Florida. It will be going up for sale in the near future and the guy or gal that gets it will be happy people.

lewpopp
04-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Bob W

Email me and I'll send you some pictures. Don't miss this one!!!!!

lewpopp2@aol.com

Sid Tuls
04-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Bob W

Email me and I'll send you some pictures. Don't miss this one!!!!!

lewpopp2@aol.com

Lew: I sent you an e-mail a little bit ago about your bus. Thanks

04-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Bob, There is nothing wrong with buying an older Prevost, as long as you do not fall into the trap of buying one at a bargain price and do not carefully inspect the bus using a professional (Prevost professional) looking at all records, all systems, every document that exists to see how the bus was cared for, when it was serviced, (if good service records do not exist, move on) when major expense items where upgraded. I would pay more for a bus that was well maintained, especially if it where owned by a POG member (not a sales pitch). Do the math determine what are the big expense items, Tires $6500, Batteries (chassis&House) $4500, Audio visual,$$, Airbags $$, Shocks$$ there is a long list that adds up very quickly. If you find a bus that has had a recent upgrade of the major stuff, figure it's value into the purchase, it is worth more. If you are not a do It Yourself kind of Guy (like me) you will pay more, so if it is all done and done well, the well cared for upgraded Prevost is worth a premium price.

Bob W
04-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks Pam and Bruce for your response. We are not sure what to do at this time. There seem to be many nice looking busses on the market but they are located all over the country. We are in the Chicago area and as we both still work, have limited ability to take time off to do the proper search.
Thanks again
Bob W

04-11-2009, 10:12 AM
There are a few extremely reputable dealers out there that you can trust, I mean really trust that they will sell you a quality bus, most advertise on POG. If I really wanted a bus, badly, had the itch and it would not go away, but could not take the time to do the due diligence properly myself, I would search for someone to do it for me that was recommended, and pay the price for his services. I am certain that this group knows a few qualified people who can carry the ball and search for you based on a list of criteria, $$ , year, brand, style, configuration etc. Ask Jon W. Jon knows everything and might well be able to help you with your quest of ownership. The cost of a qualified inspector is well worth the price. I have purchased many boats this way, zeroed in on 2 or 3 boats then sent out a qualified inspector, just add a clause that the purchase is subject to your final inspection and test drive, even after your representative has signed off.

Yankee802
04-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Here is my 2¢, We live in our bus fulltime, so our milage is minimal. We got a bus in good condition and believe it was well maintained. Being stationary fulltimers (military) we maintain based on time rather than miles. I just had my first annual done, and it was just under $1k. Also got oil analyzed at purchase and at recent service, very good results and I get that warm fuzzy. (even watched them pour it straight from the quart jug to the sample bottle) For everything in our first year of ownership, we've spent just over $3k. A LOT of that was non maintenance related stuff and fuel for montly runs, so your milage may vary. :)

Geoff