PDA

View Full Version : Time Delay when switching electical sources

LarryB
04-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I'll ask this question of all but it may not apply to those other than CC owners.

What amount of time does your bus require to switch power sources. I have noticed it takes mine nearly 2 minutes to make the transfer, Example. Gen to Park, Batteries to Park, and the reverse as well.

My other CC, a plastic one as they are referred to here, seemed to be just a slight delay, maybe 10 seconds.

Thanks for the help.

garyde
04-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi Larry, you may have one of these: http://www.rvpartscenter.com/prodselect.asp?SID=14&DID=172&CID=588

They have a delay built into the surge protector.

rfoster
04-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Larry: Gary De is correct. My CC has the 50 amp hardwire surge protector and sometimes takes up to 2.5 minutes to come on line when plugging into shore power. The gen takes less time and varies up to 1.5 minutes. I suppose you just get used to it cause I know of no adjustment.

lewpopp
04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
A Progressive surge protector has 2 settings. Mine is set at 138 seconds and the other setting is shorter as I recall.

LarryB
04-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Gary, Roger, Lew, thanks for the rapid replies. I have the 50 amp surge protector as Roger. I don't have the specs on the device but I have POG.

Thanks again.

dale farley
04-04-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that my external Progressive surge protector takes 4 minutes before it puts power through to the bus. I assume it is checking things out before connecting the power. Hopefully, that is a good thing.

merle&louise
04-04-2009, 11:04 PM
I have a Square D surge protector and it takes 30 seconds to switch either way.

My basement ACs takes 3 minutes to come on; that is a long time to wait when the coach is heat soaked. I didn't see anything in the operator's manual showing an adjustment so I guess I'll have to live with it. Or buy a Liberty!

phorner
04-05-2009, 08:16 AM
I have a Square D surge protector and it takes 30 seconds to switch either way.

My basement ACs takes 3 minutes to come on; that is a long time to wait when the coach is heat soaked. I didn't see anything in the operator's manual showing an adjustment so I guess I'll have to live with it. Or buy a Liberty!

Hence, the case is made for OTR bus air :D

dalej
04-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Larry,

While on inverter power, such as when driving. There are dedicated a.c. lines that work of the inverter power. When I stop and plug into AC service, all my inverted lines take about a minute to switch over.

Just in case this is what your referring to.

Joe Cannarozzi
04-05-2009, 08:23 AM
That delay is not created by a surge protector on a couple of early 90's CC I worked on.

It was built into the relays/switchgear they use. I dealt with that and the bus had no surge protector.

There is a panel on the back wall of the front bay, in the middle, that is where you will find most of them.

phorner
04-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Our Liberty has 2 time delay relays in the transfer switch, one for shore power and one for generator power, that also add time to the total switch-over process.

I believe they're adjustable up to 90 seconds.