PDA

View Full Version : Jet - A

bluevost
04-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Hey POGgers,

My hanger partner there at Chino A/P has 130 gallons of Jet A. He says I can have it if I want it, otherwise he is going to get rid of it. QUESTION: Can you burn Jet A, which is a kerosene based fuel, in the bus???

Ken

flyu2there
04-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Ken,

The military bases (Air Force, Navy) do it all of the time however they do not really care if they blow an engine apart or not. I would feel much better about putting diesel in a jet than jet fuel in a diesel however, as a dealer for Diamond Aircraft, they have a light twin that is powered by a Thielart Diesel Engine that runs just fine on Jet A.

There is some xtra stuff in Jet A, mainly to keep it from freezing at too low of a temperature, but I would consult DD first.....just to be on the safe side.

John

Petervs
04-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Ken, Jet-A makes a great lighter fluid for your next BBQ!

Jerry Winchester
04-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Ken,

We ran Jet A in a diesel Scout from Stillwater to Taos when I was in college because it was 4 deg and we didn't have any additive. I would just cut it with 50% diesel and burn it up.

JDUB

BrianE
04-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Ken, My old employer used Jet A in all of their diesel ground equipment from tugs to GPU's, no problem. Suggest JDUB has the safe approach though. Would think a 50/50 mix with diesel would be fine.

grantracy
04-04-2009, 07:53 AM
I had a similar situation where a friend of mine defueled his aircraft and was unable to reuse the Jet A. I have an auxilliary generator with a John Deere powerplant. The dealer advised to cut the Jet A with Marvel Mystery Oil ( or something similar) Qt/20 gals. Because the Jet A doesn't have the same lubricating properties for fuel pump etc.

bluevost
04-13-2009, 01:07 PM
I've been away from the internet for a week or so. Thanks for all the replys. Think I'll try one tank of a 50/50 mix and see happens.

Ken

Will Garner
04-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Ken,

Did the owner of that restaurant provide the 130 gallons of Jet - A? Just happened to go by this interesting restaurant - nothing to do with building a business deal to get the free fuel.

Hope all is well with you and Janet.