PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon South Rim - Recommendations?

LA-HODAG
03-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Any recommendations for places to stay at Grand Canyon? I have a reservation at a place called "Trailer Village" which sounds a bit dubious. However, it seems like the only place to stay in the park, which I want to do so we can get an early start on hikes, etc. I see some POGgers liked the campgrounds in Williams, but that is nearly 60 miles from the rim and puts us at the mercy of the train schedule or a long car ride to get back and forth. Seems like it would get old after the first day and we are there for 3 days. Trailer Village has pull throughs and 50 amps, but we can dry camp just fine for 3 days if it means we don't have to sleep in a glorified parking lot. Is there anything else near the rim? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences or advice.

garyde
03-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi LA. Here is a Link: http://www.go-arizona.com/Grand-Canyon-National-Park/Camping/
I believe we have stayed at Trailer Village many years ago. It is a open area with no trees from what I remember.

BrianE
03-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Bryan, Looks like you're in our tire tracks. We just left GC Park yesterday. Stayed in the Park at Trailer Village ($32.00) full 50amp hookup. Not deluxe but very adequate, is run by the park concessionaire, and is just a short walk to the rim. The next choice is The GC Camper Village which is a private RV park about 5 miles south of the south park entrance in Tusayan. We were not impressed as we drove by. The railway park in Williams would work fine but you're at the mercy of the train schedule. The train package is pretty expensive also. Don't know what your next destination is but don't miss driving to the east entrance even if it's just a day trip. The views along that part of Hwy 64 are spectacular. Have fun.

BrianE
03-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Bryan, PS
Noticed you're planning on being there for spring break. Better make reservations pronto: http://www.grand.canyon.national-park.com/camping.htm

PSS Welcome to POG, where truth or fiction, all questions are answered.

adamdegraff
03-31-2009, 12:18 AM
Don't know where to camp, but on your way, if you pass by Flagstaff, we had the BEST fish tacos of our lives at a little place right off the highway. If this is your cup of tea (caliente!) let me know and I'll find out the name of the place we stopped. I remember it was right across the street from a Target, so there was plenty of space to park.

Have fun at the Canyon.

~Adam

dreamchasers
03-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Bryan,

We stayed at Trailer Village three years ago. I echo Brian's comments of Trailer Village being "adequate". The parking pads are shell or rock pull-thrus. Seasonal park employees also live in Trailer Village.

The best part is the National Park bus service runs by the entrance to the RV park. Also, if you have bicycles, paved paths are throughout the park.

We enjoyed the canyon.

Hector