PDA

View Full Version : Spare parts? A/C compressor?

adamdegraff
03-30-2009, 01:07 PM
I assume that many of you, like me, end up buying two of whatever it is that just broke. Thus, I have a small collection of spare parts. But I'm wondering if certain items won't keep... or stay fresh in storage. Others might be too expensive to justify their purchase in the event that they might be needed. Finally, there are others that are very difficult to come by and might one day not be available.

So I need some advice on a part. My Marathon MACH compressor broke. (This is Marathon's version of OTR air and heat.) The compressor is hard to find. New from Marathon it was $625. No rebuild kit is available. (They warned me that I was lucky that they even had one.) I found the same part at a Dallas area truck AC repair shop. Their price.... $225. YES! Should I buy two? Do AC compressors go bad over time? There are all sorts of seals that I would assume could go bad. But then again, maybe they are packed from the manufacturer with some sort of protective coating, as they would have to assume these units will be sitting on a shelf for at least a short while.

FYI, as far as I know, my broken compressor was the original unit. And it worked beautifully for me for over a year. But it started leaking out of the front where the pulley is. (It looks very much like the OTR AC compressor, but smaller.)

Thoughts?

Thanks,

~Adam

Ray Davis
03-30-2009, 01:29 PM
If it's only $225, I'd purchase the second one, if they are scare. If nothing else, perhaps another Marathon owner may need one in the future ....

merle&louise
03-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Adam,

Call the Dallas truck AC repair facility and ask them how scarce these compressors are? Then make your decision as to buy one.

I agree with Ray, for $225 I'd buy one. I am a firm believer in spare parts.

tdelorme
03-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Adam, how long are you going to keep your present bus?? There is an unspoken rule that once you get everything fixed on what you now have, it's time to trade. Or, in a few cases, buy a second bus. The unspoken rule deal is going to pop up real soon. Remember you heard it here first. And, no, I don't have everything fixed on mine so it isn't me.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Buy it Adam, it's insurance, and at a good price.

When you get your new bus (remember you mentioned that several months ago) you can probably sell it at a profit!

JIM