PDA

View Full Version : Marathon to service other coaches

jello_jeep
03-29-2009, 11:20 AM
I was speaking to Roger over @ Marathon Beaumont, and he was telling me they had been scratching their collective heads, and what with the closing of so many shops, they have decided to start working on other makes of coaches, and even (gasp) high end plastic rigs.

Ahh, the free market at work!

He did add that their primary focus would still be on Marathons of course :)

Petervs
03-29-2009, 02:02 PM
I bet it is not just the closing of many other shops so much as maybe their business level has seen a drop off too?

Jon Wehrenberg
03-29-2009, 02:18 PM
And while they bumble around trying to learn how CC and Liberty and Thompson and Millennium and Vantare coaches are screwed together who is paying for their learning curve?

That's why I cringe when folks are impressed when Prevost repairs something on the converter side of things. They pay dearly for a bus mechanic to check out the converter's electrical system for example.

If they were doing this in good times I would say it was a wise move to reach out to their potential buyers. Now it seems like they are trying to pull in cash by more fully utilizing their resources and as such I would want to be very careful about what they do and how long it takes them.

jello_jeep
03-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Well, every time I have been there, there doesn't appear to be a shortage of service business going on, but I would imagine they would prefer to be booked out long in advance if they had a choice.

Jon, I understand what you are saying, but I think the "learning curve" bill has to be paid attention to no matter where or what you are getting serviced.

I know when I first stopped @ Marathon Dallas when I bought mine there was a BIG learning curve bill, and the manager agreed with me and made adjustments as such.

If I hadn't been sticking around though, a different story would have unfolded I suspect. I don't have the time for sticking around much anymore, but when I get retired someday, I will likely be around to keep an eyeball, like KennyZ and others do!