PDA

View Full Version : Sand Filter Water Element Gaskets Article

Jim Skiff
03-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks to Tommy Stallings (FLY-N-LOW) for his contribution of this article.

Please click here to view PDF (http://pog.geekteam.com/users/BD83DEF1-CF1D-CEE2-5BF432431EE8B2E3/library/files/Sand%20Filter%20Assy%20Gaskets%20Fab.pdf)

flyu2there
03-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Just one question and probably stupid but, what is the sand filter for? I have one on my swimming pool and it keeps the water visibly clean however its not drinking water quality.

John

BTW, nice presentation

Jon Wehrenberg
03-29-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't think it is sand but is layers of filter media. I surmise at best is takes out the big chunks.

phorner
03-29-2009, 04:20 PM
You could replace the media with granular activated carbon and have a very useful drinking water filter.

Much more effective than "sand" for removing tastes and odors as well as some contaminants such as volatile organic compounds and some metals.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-29-2009, 04:38 PM
The filter has activated charcoal w/silver, I believe. Similar to what General Ionics uses in their water treatment equipt..

JIM

truk4u
03-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Good article, but I'm a little concerned about getting mine back in operation with sand or whatever the filter material and probably contaminated over years of non-use. Not sure just a flush can restore the filter for normal use. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

merle&louise
03-30-2009, 09:19 AM
I have the same filter in my coach, and all I do is back wash it every 6 months. It filters the water fine. I don't notice any after taste in the water. The ice is crystal clear. We do however use the coach very often; almost every other weekend and during football season & summer more like every weekend. Maybe that is the reason; frequent use.

flyu2there
03-30-2009, 12:15 PM
So, if this filter can be backwashed, I suspect that it is nothing more than a mini swimming pool/spa filter. MT the thing out and add 3 layers of sand from very course to very fine depending on the direction of flow. They will eliminate turbidity (dirt/junk) but nothing else. Sand filters have a narrow window of operating pressure, pools run 25 psi to 35, pressure builds as dirt is accumulated in the filter, backwash or change the media. I would suspect that reduced water flow woud be an adequate indicator for this installation. Still in all, at the end of the day, unless you are pumping water from a pond, I am curious as to what real prupose they may serve, unless there is a water treatment plant down stream from the filter.