PDA

View Full Version : Engine Bay

Joe Cannarozzi
03-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Somewhere there is a thread with info for that Gloss grey enamel that the engine compartment is painted with. I need that but before I can paint there are some issues.

I have some copper air lines attached with metal clips and the hardware is not coming out. Electrolysis.

I am going to have to grind out the screws and then decide if I will replace with the same to keep the factory look or use something all plastic.

These 3 are across the ceiling and go to the regulator for the belt tension valve. There is another going to the temp sensor for the radiator shutters.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-28-2009, 02:15 PM
I'll bet the guys that think the whole bus is stainless steel are scratching their head. :)

Knock the clips off with a sharp cold chisel and disc sand the area smooth, paint and install new clips, plastic or steel, either kind will outlast you.

JIM

sawdust_128
03-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Hector,
Prevost parts gave me an Imron code #10094 light gray as the OEM finish, I found an American Finishes code # 46025 Ghost Gray it is a very close match in a single stage paint that is easy to use.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
George & Debi Phillips
99 XLV Angola

Joe Cannarozzi
04-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Time and grime has clouded the ability to see exactly where Prevo originally painted things on our chassis. Where the gray ends and the black starts.

From what I can see the wheel-wells are sprayed black and the carriage for the 2 rear axles are black. The radius rods appear to be that engine compartment gray. The brake drums were also painted at one time, grey. I think that would really clean things up to redo all of those:o

We will be picking up some paint for those rods before we reinstall them. I have decided that the radius rods will be a good place to experiment on finishes and hopefully result it the perfect product for the engine bay that is soon to follow.

I am going to try a brush-able single stage enamel first for the cost and ease of application. The results are yet to be seen. Frankly I am skeptical but with much prompting by some as to the great results with such a product I am going to test.

BrianE
04-19-2009, 03:12 PM
While we're on the subject. Anyone know the paint code for Series 60 green?

flyu2there
04-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Matter of fact, I do!

John

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Would anyone be kind enough to post the paint code for the Detroit Diesel?

JIM;):)

dreamchasers
04-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Brian E,

I purchased "Dupli-Color" engine enamel, #DE1618-Detroit Diesel Alpine Green. The can states the paint contains ceramic is good to 500 degrees. I have not started using it yet. Since my engine has the original paint on it (faded!), it is not a perfect match, but looks good on my test panel. If something better is out there, please advise.

Hector

flyu2there
04-19-2009, 09:13 PM
DuPont 94296 watch out for code 017, both are Alpine Green but the 017 is a code from the 2 cycle engines, almost a Buick Turquois. They were all painted Alpine Green (different variants) save the 92 series that were globbed up in silver....

Now you know!

John

BrianE
04-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks Hector.

You too John, I think. :rolleyes:

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Brian, did a little searching and came up with the Krylon site, in it is a locator by state.

I also noticed that Grainger and McMaster Carr both located throughout the country carry the paint, for those that don't care to look at the Kyrlon site. Dupli-Color is a product of Krylon.

http://www.kpg-industrial.com/products/engine_paint_with_ceramic/

JIM

BrianE
04-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks Jim.

flyu2there
04-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Brian,

Watch the spray cans...color match can be difficult. I had to go out and hunt around in the garage for the stuff that I bought and it had the note on the can...Dupont Acrylic Enamel 94296, not 017.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-23-2009, 06:11 PM
NAPA turned out to be my best source for the,
Duplicolor, DE 1618, Alpine Green. Four cans in stock @ $5.40 per.

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Joe, you might consider doing your compartment renovation a different way, that being;
Pressure wash and dry.
Spray desired area with Rust Bullet rust remover conditioner.
Mask non painted area.
Paint over rust and old clamps with RUST BULLET.

http://www.rustbullet.com/

JIM

Joe Cannarozzi
04-23-2009, 09:57 PM
I think we need to get you an official title to go along with your ability and frequency to produce useful links.

Thanks Jim

Ever heard of Pour30? Similar but different. I have used that. I thought I might cover the pitting left behind with some body filler. It will be noticeable if I dont. The clamps gotta go.

I know who's gonna see it. I do not mind the extra time involved.