PDA

View Full Version : Bygone days revisited

bluevost
03-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Hey POGgers,

Janet and I have been at Outdoor Resorts Indio for the month of March. Several times a biplane has flown over the resort. This thing is beautiful. It flies by so slowly, and the radial engine has that special sound, kinda like the special sound an 8V makes. I remarked how cool it would be to take a ride in that thing. We celebrated our anniversary on the 25th (37 years), and she got me a ride in "that thing". Turns out it's a 1941 Stearman and is based at Bermuda Dunes airport, a short drive from ORI. I met Mike the owner/pilot at 10AM and he got ready for departure. I was really amped for this. Never flown in an open cockpit before, never used a stick before. The wind was blowing about 15 right down the runway. With the wind and the lift from both wings we were off the ground in no time. Just putting along, we made 650 feet by the end of the runway. The view in every direction was spectacular. Mike leveled out at about 1400 feet and we cruised along at 85 knots. At that point he let me steer a while. We flew due west out to Palm Springs, turned a 180 and headed back following Hwy. 111. He took the stick back and made a couple of nice hard turns. No acrobatics though, that costs extra!! What a great experience. It's not hard to figure out the love a barnstormer had for one of these planes. They are very special. I had a grin on my face the whole time.

Thanks Janet, you rock!!

bluevost
03-27-2009, 11:33 AM
From the air:
Golf courses everywhere
Big Horn CC, nestled along the mountain
Shields Date Orchard on Hwy. 111
ORI
Lining up for runway 28

flyu2there
03-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Ken,

That really looks like it was fun but, common now, go back there and get a titch of acro under your belt. Try a loop, couple of barrel rolls and remember to eat bananas before you go...they taste the same comming back up:p

BTW you may enjoy this link

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/SR-71/index.htm

Gary & Peggy Stevens
03-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Happy Anniversay Ken. Looks like you had a great time in the Bi-Plane.

Peg and I spent the week of Xmas / New Years last year across the street from your resort in the Signature Resort. We loved it in Indio.

The SR-71 presentation was awsome, and brought tears to my eyes. Very moving.

Thanks

Gary S.

bluevost
03-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks John, that was great.

Janet's uncle Gustov Swanson, a Legal immigrant, after serving with dinstinction in the U.S. Army in WWII, spent his entire adult life in the Skunkworks at Lockheed, Burbank. He passed away quite a few years ago, and his wife passed away last summer. While cleaning out their house we found several "attaboys" to Uncle Gus from Lockheed. He never talked much about what he did there.

Ken

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
03-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Owned a 41 Navy N2S3 for 32 years and K's of hours. When ever a round engine is anywhere around, I'm rubbernecking. Remember that any upsidedown stuff will leave sand, grass and misc. stuff in your nose, eyes and an open mouth. ED

BrianE
03-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Ken & Janet, Happy anniversary to you two. What did you do for Janet? Hope it was more than a silly old airplane ride. :D

Like Cap Mogul, I also was afflicted with bugs in teeth syndrome for many years. Glad you had the experience. Another thrill to look forward to in that old stock Stearman is the engine quitting when upside down. A real treat. :eek: