PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Windshield Order for XL

Petervs
03-26-2009, 02:18 PM
I have started this new thread here for better visibility on this subject.

I offered to buy a box of 10 windshields at the incredible price of $79 each over on the wiper blade thread. So far I have people signed up for 12 windshields. They are located all over the country. There may be more demand than this even. For the XL coaches, the right and left are identical.

The idea was to bring them to OKC in October and hand them out. I need to be sure the box will fit in a storage bay. Anybody have the dimensions? Prevost has them shipped from a warehouse in Ohio and they can not tell me the size of the box.

I also asked about the smaller upper windshields. The ones tinted really dark to let only 9% of the light through are $190 and not in stock. The ones tinted to 28% like the side windows are $317 and are in stock. He said the next reorder for the $190 ones would go through but would also likely raise the price on future sales. FYI. Maybe we should get some of those too?

It might be sensible to have more than one order placed, depending on location of the end owner. Remember, packaging them for transport once you get them at OKC will entail some effort. I carry one spare in the back of my clothes closet, standing on it's bottom. It only takes up 1/4 inch that way. I have a little bracket I screwed to the back wall to hold it in place.

Here is the list of those signed up, and their location so far. The sale runs until May 31 (and actually does not start until April 1).

2 GMC Buffalo- Portland Oregon
1-2 Pete Petree Sealy Tx
2 Tom Truk Georgia?
2 Jon Wehrenberg- Tennessee
2 Jim Chaloupka NY
1-2 Me Washington State

Let's get a final tally and then decide who will order, etc.

Ray Davis
03-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Check with Dale J. I think he brought the windows for the demonstration on my coach directly in the Prevost shipping container.

Ray

Joe Cannarozzi
03-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Bill Miller has one of those crates I will call him back.

33wide 38 high by 55 long but that is not counting the pallet.

He said it has room for nine but only had four shipped.

Petervs
03-26-2009, 05:29 PM
I have gotten some dimensions, and a box of 10 will fit in my storage bay so moving them should not be a problem.

I have also made some measurements.

Maximum dimension of:
side window: 42 1/2"
main windshield: 45 3/4
upper windshield: 44 1/4

So the side windows are the same as the 96 inch wide coaches made before 1985 or so, but the newer coaches have a slightly larger windshield to account for the 6 inch wider coach.

Sign up on this thread if you are interested in participating in the $79 windshield group buy. Please include your real name and location. ( how else can I send my goons to get your money?)

hhoppe
03-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Peter count me in for 2 XL windshields. Post an address where we can send the money and the full amount. I would be happy to receive mine at the fall OKC POG Rally. My address is on DaleJ's map. Thanks for stepping up on this.

michaeldterry
03-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Sign up on this thread if you are interested in participating in the $79 windshield group buy. Please include your real name and location. ( how else can I send my goons to get your money?)

Peter - put me down for 2 of the $79 windshields. Of course, this is assuming that these windshields are the correct replacements to fit in my 1996 XL-45? (God - it's humbling and humiliating to be such a newbie and know so little!)

I'm in Woodstock (Atlanta), GA. I'll PM with my full address and contact info.

Thanks!

Petervs
04-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Hello all!

I have been collecting names for the XL Windshields order and wanted to give you an update. Prevost will sell the windshields at $79 each, no freight charges if all shipped to the same place and ordered before May 31.

I am in Washington State. I have colected an order for 10 windshields from owners who are all within 200 miles of me here. This is one complete box.

Brian Esler, Larry Beer(4), GMCBuffalo, and myself. 2 for each except as noted. I would like to order that box right away and be done with it.

I have also collected names of others scattered mostly around the southeast USA , all together that is 12 more windshields. It would be more efficient if someone down that way would step up and place the order and have them shipped there directly for distribution. Here is the list, I hope one of you will volunteer. Just make a posting on this site.

The following have each requested 2 windshields:

Peter Petree, Sealy TX
Tom Truk, Georgia
Jon Wehrenberg- TN?
Jim Chaloupka, NY
Michael Terry, GA
Harry Hoppe ??? California maybe?

There is still an open opportunity for other members to get in on this deal too.

flyu2there
04-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Just a question. While the price of 79.00 is probably very good for a windshield, why would you want to buy one? Doesn't everyone have a comprehensive policy? I understand if you just carry PL/PD but for the rest of us????

I have had broken several windshields, I call up the insurance guy, they send some Gomer out and they change the windshield for $100.00. I never touch the glass; I never have to muscle it into position and I certainly do not worry about leaks or dropping the thing or giving myself a hernia...it's guaranteed!

Little known fact....a comprehensive claim does not, repeat does not raise your insurance rate!

John

Petervs
04-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Sure, I have comprehensive insurance. But I have $1000 deductible so this small stuff is easier just to do myself. Especially since on an XL it is so easy, no glue.

Saves a ton on the annual premium. ( Last renewal it was about $650 a year.) I have owned the bus for 7 years and have never had any kind of claim so far. I have replaced one windshield so far, but both now on have chips and pits. It is time.

And the windshields are going to break on a regular basis because they are so vertical that when a rock hits them it is not a glancing blow with a small force perpendicular to the glass like on a car.

truk4u
04-12-2009, 07:15 PM
I offered to have the windshields shipped to my warehouse, but it got ignored. Peter, please just take me off the list, I'll buy if needed when the time comes.

hhoppe
04-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Peter: it sounds like the windshield thing is getting too complicated so if it's no problem scratch me off the list and I will deal with it here. Thanks for your efforts.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Peter, please take me off your list.

Thanks, JIM

michaeldterry
04-13-2009, 11:42 AM
I offered to have the windshields shipped to my warehouse, but it got ignored. Peter, please just take me off the list, I'll buy if needed when the time comes.

Since truk is opting out, I guess I need to as well.

truk - I should have spoken up and expressed my encouragement of your offer to have the windshields sent to your warehouse. That would have been ideal, selfishly speaking. I guess that will teach me not to be such a "shrinking violet" in the future!

Peter, thanks for your noble effort. I appreciate your hard work and good intentions!