PDA

View Full Version : Texas to Michigan

aggies09
03-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Jen and I are planning a trip from Texas to Mackinac City, MI in late June. The route of choice seems to be east out of Texas through Arkansas, over to Memphis, then up to Chicago and onward north. Not being the experienced travelers that many of you are, we would love your input on things that you deem must see and/or do along this route. Any notes of interest are appreciated as well. Thanks for your input.

merle&louise
03-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Tony,

In 2007 on the way up to Oshkosh, WI we visited the Notre Dame campus in South Bend, IN and drove on to Oshkosh via Chicago and I-94. There was a traffic jam about 25 miles long and it took us about 5 hours to get thru it. Know what was causing the traffic to back up? A toll booth!:eek: I asked the toll booth operator how far up the next toll booth was; she said about 1 mile. We diverted onto US 41 thru downtown Chicago. It was a breeze compared to I-94 during afternoon commute. Thank goodness for GPS.

Joe C. may have a better solution but, I will never drive on I-94 thru Chicago again.

Just my .02

aggies09
03-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Tuga,

Thanks for the heads up. There is nothing like bumper to bumper surrounded by throngs of idiots. I have found that most don't understand that my bus doesn't stop as quick as their Nissan. All comments welcome regarding route as well.

merle&louise
03-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Tony,

Don't know if you are inclined to visit Notre Dame campus, but it is really beautiful. In June it should be really nice. The basillica is awesome!

If you are a fan of Jack Daniel's whiskey; plan a side trip to Lynchburg, TN and tour the distillery. It is really a neat little place. On I-65 take exit 14 Hwy 64 east and go 31 miles to Lynchburg - I think you'll be glad you did. Be sure to taste the pure grain alcohol before it is filtered thru the charcoal chips. It will knock you on your keister!:D

There is a 5 star RV resort in Traverse City, MI however it may be a little out of your way. http://www.traversebayrv.com/ I have never stayed there but I know a guy who loves the place. It might be worth a try. Check it out!:D

aggies09
03-19-2009, 08:59 PM
I have always wanted to take that tour. I will add that to our agenda.

adamdegraff
03-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Tony,
I have a few different ideas... mostly which revolve around food. So, I guess you all now know that my stomach often leads the way.

Ok, if want to hit St. Louis on the way up, you could stay near the arch. I hear there is a decent RV park there. Never been. But more importantly, you could stop by Ted Drew's and get yourself some frozen custard. I guarantee if you pull up in your bus, don a stylish pair of shades, a baseball cap, and keep your head down, everybody will think you are a superstar. The place is hilarious. No seating. But outside the little shack, everybody is sitting on their cars, curbs, etc. eating what is certainly the best route 66 frozen custard around. I love their "concretes" (blizzard). You can get 'em fixed any way, but honestly, you should try the one with chocolate brownies and pistachios in it. Strangest combo I had ever heard of until I tried it. AMAZING.

If you are going anywhere near Chicago, I have to say that Lou Malnati's Pizza is pretty awesome. Get the deep dish (duh!). I also really like Giordano's pizza as well. Again, deep dish.

One other awesome place to hit... though you'd have to take a different route... The Cozy Inn in Salina, KS. Awesome little hamburgers. (yes, only little sliders.) Get a sack of 12, and then head over to Abilene, KS for some chicken at Brookville chicken. To be totally honest, I have yet to hit the chicken place, but I was admonished by many Kansas residents during our last set of shows there for not having tried Brookville Chicken yet. It is supposed to be the best pan fried chicken in the... world? Could it be so?

For non-food fun... I enjoyed the Gerald Ford Museum in Grand Rapids, MI. Tons of fun stuff to do in Chicago as well. Park at Joe's, take the train in, and have a blast! (Sorry Joe, didn't meant to offer up your parking spot :-)

Let us know what you end up doing.

Best,

Adam

michaeldterry
03-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Tony,
the best route 66 frozen custard around. I love their "concretes" (blizzard). You can get 'em fixed any way, but honestly, you should try the one with chocolate brownies and pistachios in it. Strangest combo I had ever heard of until I tried it. AMAZING.

If you are going anywhere near Chicago, I have to say that Lou Malnati's Pizza is pretty awesome. Get the deep dish (duh!). I also really like Giordano's pizza as well. Again, deep dish.

Adam!

Giordano's is the absolute best pizza on earth (and perhaps in the universe)! For those who dont know it - Giordano's is a stuffed pizza - not stuffed crust - but actually has a top & bottom crust, with the toppings of your choice stuffed inside! It is a true pizza "pie"!

As for frozen custard around Chicagoland, you must try Culver's! Also try their hamburger/cheeseburger (called a "Butter Burger") It is sinfully good!

If you are a breakfast lover, try any of the pancake houses in the midwest for a breakfast selection that will put IHOP, Waffle House, et. al to shame!

Damn! Now I'm hungry! :p

tdelorme
03-20-2009, 08:38 AM
What, JDUB must be out of the country. These food reviews are unauthorized. No BBQ, No Tacos, No Jerk Chicken? You all may just starve to death, Tony. Come on Jerry, wake up and tell this boy where to eat on his journey.

Jamie Bradford
03-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Make sure you go to Whitefish Point on Lake Superior in the U P--------

The Edmund Fitzgerald Shipwreck Museum is there..... Really neat place!!

We were there last fall - here are some places we stayed that were good:

Manistique - Driftwood Shores - Right on Lake Michigan - Beautiful

St. Ignace - Lakeshore Park - Pretty Good - Again great view of Lake Michigan

Caseville - Caseville Public Park - Right on Lake Huron- Nice

Another neat thing is the Soo Locks in Sault Ste. Marie. From there you can go into Canada. We went up to Batchawana Bay which is about 60 miles north of the border & was a fairly easy border crossing.

We did not get to the western side of the state this trip but there are some good places around Traverse City... Look at Big Rigs.....

Have a great trip.............

Jamie:cool:

Joe Cannarozzi
03-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Jenny and Tony if there is anything you would like to see or do in Chicago we would love to be your hosts.

It is a big city with lots to see and do.

phorner
03-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Joe was our tour guide when we visited Chicago last summer and I can highly recommend him :D

Petervs
03-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Along the route north, we enjoyed spending half a day taking the free factory tour at Chevrolet in Bowling Green Kentucky where they build the Corvette.

Sorry to report they do not give out free samples.

aggies09
03-21-2009, 11:20 AM
thanks for all of the input. i am now getting very hungry. The Chicago deep dish and cold beer would hit the spot. Adam, thanks for thoughts on KS, we will probably come home that way.

Joe, thanks for the host offer. If your available we may take you up on that. I would like to spend a little time in Chicago on the way up. I have been there twice on business but never got beyond Michigan Avenue. Would really like to see a little more.

Peter, thanks for the heads up on the Chevy tour. I think all of us would like to see that. Provided they are still in business by summer.

Great ideas from all. Thanks.

Loc, thanks for the call yesterday with your ideas as well.

chtree
04-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion on what the best route from Nashville to Branson might be?

Thanks in advance,

Chtree