PDA

View Full Version : Snap on Window Sun Screens

lloyd&pamela
03-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Does anyone know a source for custom window sun screens for the front windshield, drivers and passenger door windows? The snaps are already installed. I need to have the screens made to fit our preexisting snaps.

Because we are in the southwest, we want to cut out the sun before it enters the window.

I accidentally threw out the original screens when cleaning out the bays. Thanks.

Jeff Bayley
03-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Lloyd-

I remember seeing a mobile service that makes what you need on more than one occasion at RV parks that makes those outside shields you described. If you contact the higher end RV Resorts in your area, they should be able to tell the name of any near you.

I was at a place in Las Vegas called Vegas Trailer Supply. They have a very extensive on line catalog and I think they'll send you a regular catalog on request as well. They have gad's of neat stuff for our buses. Go to this web page and see the product called Insulating Foil.

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page?dealerId=1060&pageNum=147

It's maybe 1/4" thick, inexpensive and works great. You could use this in addition to the outside covers or get it temporarily until you get the outside covers you seek. I just placed it up against the front window and traced a line with a Sharpie marker and cut it with scissors. I use it on the inside, not the outside. I've got motorized sun shades in the front and with those down, it stays in place fine and is extremely effective in reducing the heat. The black converter shades that roll down on the inside just radiate massive heat when your parked facing the sun. I made two halves for mine. Don't think it was big enough to cut trim a single piece to fit. Keep it rolled up with a rubber band in the bay and use when needed. This would be a great product for anyone storing their bus outside in the summer to reduce heat from eroding the interior and it's affordable enough to cut a piece for every side window if you wanted to and put it against the window prior to pulling the side shades down. It's probably even more effective than the exterior stuff I know your talking about getting since it's got the reflective aluminum surface but it's not as attractive and since you already got the snaps your going to track down what you requested but if you have the outside ones on, this product will further cut down the heat and it will be not be visible. I put regular aluminum foil on the inside of all my windows once when I had to leave the bus in Texas at an RV park and fly out for a week in order to cut down on the heat. Looked pretty Hillbilly but it worked. This product I refer you and others too is fairly close to the aluminum shades they make for regular cars only it's larger and you can cut it make a good fit.

Sorry to everyone that says my posts are too long.

phorner
03-19-2009, 08:47 AM
The best I've seen are made by RV Sunshade Co. Owner is Gordon Brown and they can be found at www.rvsunshadeco.com

They will custom make the shades to fit your existing snaps.

The bad news is that they are located in Florida, but they have a mobile van, so they may travel out west during a portion of the year.

Their number is 877-422-5679.

Good luck!

lloyd&pamela
03-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Thank you Jeff and Paul.

Any one familuar with SunGuard http://www.sunguard.com they have a local distributor here in Las Cruces?

LarryB
03-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Lloyd , we just had some made in Tucson at Beaudry. The Co. name is 'Big Daddy Cool Shades'. They are in the Park but will go 'off site' to install. They work with your snaps that are installed, and they are of top quality material.

Randy & Judy Yearwood
828-320-4863

Jim Skiff
03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Lloyd,

There were some folks that lived and worked at Buckhorn in Kerrville,TX that supplied that service.

Jim

Charles Spera
10-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Jim,
Do you have their contact info? We will be in Fredericksburg in a couple of weeks and could use their service.

Chuck

JIM KELLER
10-03-2009, 07:34 AM
Dalr Farley [ Roadrunner ] used the couple in Kerrville to make his shades. Dale is at POG 8 right now.

Will Garner
10-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Chuck,

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your first post. Now that you have posted we expect to hear more from you.

You should have come to OKC and enjoyed meeting all the - well - characters!

tdelorme
10-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Jim,
Do you have their contact info? We will be in Fredericksburg in a couple of weeks and could use their service.

Chuck

Chuck, here is a link to the RV park. I would think they can get you the contact info for the sun screen company. Welcome to the POG Forum.
http://www.buckhornlake.com/

Charles Spera
10-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks to all for the welcome and instant information. I will follow up on it.
We are new to Prevost ownership.
We were looking for a motorhome and happened on a couple of Prevost Liberty coaches in the process and were bitten hard.
We tow a trailer and needed to find a 40' coach to try to make the limits in so many states.
We have a "new" 93 (dare I say it here) H3-40 Liberty. We are tickled with it and look forward to many new experiences.
Thanks again for the help.
Chuck

dale farley
10-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Chuck,

Welcome to the POG. I did have the screens made for my bus during the Kerrville Rally. Unfortunately, it was for my previous bus, and all the information went with that bus. Sorry I can't help, but as someone else mentioned, the Park should be able to give you that info. The guy did a very good job at a reasonable price. Good luck. Dale