PDA

View Full Version : Interesting

tdelorme
03-18-2009, 10:10 AM
An Obituary printed in the London Times........

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

Knowing when to come in out of the rain; Why the early bird gets the worm; Life isn't always fair; and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an Aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.
Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, I Want It Now, Someone Else Is To Blame, and I'm A Victim

bluevost
03-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Ted,

The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals did little to help our friend Common Sense. I know he's gone now, but I wonder if we can get him back??

Ken

aggies09
03-18-2009, 09:21 PM
I do so miss Common Sense. Although I haven't seen him in action in many years, he played a vital and important role in the creation of a once great country. He once expressed such foundational ideas as term limits for elected officials and to not borrow or wager more than one could afford to lose. It is my hope for all that a very close relative of Common Sense makes an appearance that will inspire leadership in people and bring back the principles and values once held by his great ancestor.

sawdust_128
03-20-2009, 12:38 AM
I've gotten old and I remember a better world.

Honor wasn't MIA.

Before responsibility got crushed in the rush for handouts.

Before diligence, dignity and discipline were poisoned.

A time when if one wanted to know when life began, you asked a biologist and just like now, you got a straight simple answer. And not like now, you didn't shop until you got an answer that you liked or needed.

A time when the innocents were protected and the vile, vulgar, vicious, villainous criminals were executed and not the opposite.

A time when no matter what religion you had, including none, that was good.

A time when marriage was a sacred, private sacrement with a purpose instead of a poilitical statement of revolution.

A time when a man's word was good and decency was more important than fame.

A time when a liar was shunned instead of elected and betrayal of this good country was treated for what it is, treason.

tdelorme
03-20-2009, 07:49 AM
There was once a time not that many years ago when an attorney would have been disbarred if he/she advertised in the newspaper or on television. Something about ethics. I believe they died also.

merle&louise
03-20-2009, 08:37 AM
I don't know if anyone else thinks about leaving this country sometimes, but I do. I realize that we are the most powerful nation on earth and maybe therefore the safest, but I feel like we are losing many of our freedoms. Our wealth is being eroded by an out of control government. Taxation is becoming unfair. We have a congress that is corrupt and incompetent. Common sense is no longer used in decision making; the minority rules instead of the majority rules.

But where could I move/live and have the old values that were present in this country 50 years ago? Values like respect for God, respect for our military, and respect for our citizens rights as opposed to illegal aliens' rights. What country on earth today is run in a fiscally responsible manner, has fair tax laws, and a stable and safe environment to live in?

I will never leave this country, I love it. I also love my family and friends, and I would never leave them. But boy we sure do have some tough times ahead, and I for one am very concerned how this will all turn out.

Thanks for listening!

Will Garner
03-20-2009, 08:55 AM
The conditions that have become entrenched in America today remind me of a past great and fallen empire. In fact there may have been a book or maybe a movie about it. The title was "The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire." Corruption on the scale we are seeing today will bring any great Nation to its knees. The sight of all these pompous, pontificating, pampered, politicians posturing themselves as saints from there exhaulted seating positions looking down on the people before them makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. If only they had a modicum of Common Sense when they looked at themselves in the mirror each morning perhaps they could see the real source of our Nation's problems. They are.

I've got to get up and run to the head ....

BrianE
03-20-2009, 12:51 PM
There is of course, much written about the past failures of mankind. Too bad history has such little impact on the egos of the anointed elite.

We recently rediscovered the wonderful insight of Ayn Rand. John Galt and Francisco d'Anconia should have been folk heros with the stature of Paul Bunyan and Superman. Where have all the heros gone, a long time passing a long time ago, it seems. We sincerely hope there will be a place like Gulch-Gulch for all of our friends to congregate if all else fails.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-20-2009, 02:37 PM
When the man was asked what he thought the difference was between ignorance and indifference he replied

I do not know and do not care.

Seems to me even a catastrophic event like those in the past that were a source that brought everyone together will no longer fill the bill.

It's every man for himself.

Thank goodness for all of our friends at POG, we love you all.

Keep that cleen side up but keep those fingernails dirty:)

lewpopp
03-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Sawdust,

A lot of good points you made.

BTW, are you building soap boxes now?

truk4u
03-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Who is John Galt?;)

BrianE
03-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Tom, Sometimes I think JDUB might be right about you. The question isn't who but where. :rolleyes:

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Here you go Tom.

http://www.grouchyoldcripple.com/archives/006544.html

JIM:rolleyes:

truk4u
03-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Gotcha Mole Man!:p I knew where and the question "who" would bring out responses such as Jimmy C's!:rolleyes:

Galt's Gulch is really in Battle Ground, not Colorado!

Truk 1
Mole Man 0

sawdust_128
03-22-2009, 02:22 AM
Sawdust,

A lot of good points you made.

BTW, are you building soap boxes now?

No! Lew, building soap boxes is something you do when you think you might have a chance of having politicians listen and act responsibly.

I am digging in for the impending fight and taking every opportunity to remind myself of what my family and friends will need me to do and reinforce my reasons for doing so.

All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke