PDA

View Full Version : More Fresh Meat for the Grill

FLY-N-LOW
03-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi Folks,

Tommy & Margie Stallings here..

We just got home with our 1990 XL-40 Liberty Coach from Pennsylvania and
found the POG web site and figured it was a good thang to join it, now after reading a few threads I am with concern here.. I can see it is going to be a tough crowd, just when I thought it was safe to go outside right ?

Just kidding, actually its all good and we look forward to more fun the law allows and maybe then some... I can tell you the Fun Meter on the Ole 1990 XL was pegged to the full side on the cruise back to Bama yesterday and she ran like a top and the Ole 8V92 purred like a Kitten...

After arriving this morning very early I decided to get a huge power knapp on and then revisit this Gentle Giant to play with the different systems and get to try and know this baby.. went to start the main engine and it shut down after about 45 seconds ... After a call to the mechanic he explained that it was either low of oil or Coolant.. after checking the Oil Level and finding it at full service I then proceeded to the Coolant filler cap, a small ladder, screwdriver ( Not the Drink either :rolleyes:) and 2 gallons of Ethylene Glycol ( Anti-Freeze - Coolant - De-Icing Fluid for you aviation buffs ) and 2 more gallons of water to dilute the stuff to a 50% ratio ... she was full to below the cap level.. the Engine then started and ran fine with no problems .. I like this Bus as it looks out for its owner.. unlike the Eagle we have... of course that's another Machine from the 1970 era that's fun in its own way as well...

Now since the Bus was Winterized by the previous Owner.. Mr. David Coleman for those of you who may know David, he said that I would need to
purchase a few rubber seal gaskets to reconnect the water conditioner / softener since it was removed for the winterization process, can someone maybe direct us in the right direction to purchase these rubber seals that fit the Screw on " Inlet & Outlet" water lines, not sure of the exact sizes but approx about the size of a Half Dollar or so ... I can send a picture of the lines which connect at the upper "Top" section of the Water Conditioner / Softener if it might help, but I figure probably some of you seasoned Prevost owners know where I can find these things are may have some in your spares kit onboard your rig I could purchase, I would like to have all the lines - connections re-secured in order to get her ready for a Spring Trip West Bound once the Weather Breaks ...

We look forward to meeting you all at some of the various rallies and will enjoy your friendships and additionally thanks for any info you can help us with on learning of this machine ...

Thanks

Kind Regards,

Tommy & Margie Stallings
:cool:

dalej
03-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Glad that you joined POG, we'll look forward to trying to answer any of your questions.

Check on the site for the Oklahoma rally and try to attend, it is good to meet the people behind the post.

FLY-N-LOW
03-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi Dale & Jan,

Thanks for your Welcoming to the site...

We will see about making the Oklahoma Rally... and if so we will look forward to meeting you both !

Thanks,

Regards.

dale farley
03-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Tommy,

Welcome to the forum. If you want to meet a few of us, we are having a mini rally in Mobile next Wednesday thru Sunday (18-21 March). If you get a chance, come on down. There are about 20 scheduled to be there. It will be at Shady Acres in Mobile, AL (251 478 0013). About $20 a night.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Ft Payne, that is east of Scottsboro right? I think my brother-in law have kids who live there they are from Scottsboro. Goose Island Pond great campground just east of 72 south of town is a great place we have stayed there numerous times. Do you know of others? Down towards Gunthersville maybe.

FLY-N-LOW
03-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Hi Dale & Paulette,

Its our pleasure to meet you here on the POG Blog..

Thanks for the info on the Mini Rally at Mobile sounds like a nice little get together and we will see what we can do to maybe try and make it.

I just purchased the 1990 XL-40 Liberty Coach from a fellow up in Pennsylvania yesterday morning and departed there at 12:00 noon and arrived back here in N.E. Alabama about 5:00 a.m. this morning ... I had been
up in Montreal Canada on business and drove a rental car to Scranton, PA. to meet the previous owner and inspect the bus prior to purchasing it. He was almost ready to pay me to leave the bus with him, he really hated selling it but because he already has two of them and a new one on the way he said I have to get rid of one but I sure hate seeing it go, poor guy was about sick over it, I offered him to ride down with me yesterday back here to Bama but he was to busy with his work also and couldnt make the trip, I told him she was here anytime he wanted to come and visit her, he had the bus for about 6 years and he did a very nice job of maintaining it. It is a different breed of bus versus our 1970 Eagle Model 10 with the Old 8V71 DD and the 10 speed RoadRunner Tranny .. it is a very nice Eagle and we will keep her as well for now but the Prevost is a different animal for sure and is a real pleasure to operate, I am like a Sponge and want to learn all the systems like the back of my hand soonest so that I am even more comfortable with it, I believe to really operate a piece of equipment to its full potential is to know it inside out and how all systems function, it must be that Aircraft Pilot and Mechanic thing within me hard at work...

Since I have just turned 850 miles from Scranton, PA since yesterday in it I want to do some additional cleaning and detailing to it, the previous owner had it washed and polished it up like a New Diamond however in 850 miles I seen Snow in West Virginia / Virginia and Rain through most of Tennesee I took Interstate 81 from the Canadian Border at Hill Island all the way to Knoxville, TN the ride was very windy actually it was extremely windy and the sites were not that great until I got on down to the Mountains along the Blue Ridge parkway and on into Tennesee ...

So we are now still with Drizzling Rain up here all day today and wishing for more Sunshine so we can get the Bus all Cleaned back up and detailed, I am going to Pressure wash the Engine / Battery compartment areas so that they are clean as a whistle as well... Plus I need to do some minor maintenance on it .. a few forward and aft marker lights are not working ( Bulb replacements ) and I need to locate the New Rubber Seals / Gaskets for the Inlet and Outlet Lines at the Water Softener so I can get them reconnected and get the Fresh Water System operational from it being winterized by the previous owner... I would hate to be at the Rally and not have water for Shower and Toilet as this would take me from Hero to Zero with the better half .. do you know where I can find these seals ? you may not have to worry with any winterizations problems in Florida but since the bus was up in the North this was a requirement...

Thanks Dale we look forward to meeting you both sometime.

Regards,

Tommy

dale farley
03-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Tommy, I have not had to worry with winterizing, so I don't know about the seals. There are several of us who do our own maintenance and repairs, and many others who have various contacts for parts and supplies. You should get more input on this thread with some answers that will help you locate what you are looking for. This forum will be the most valuable tool you will ever find for your Prevost.

I hope you can make it to the rally. There will be several other Liberty owners there includig Jon. Jon is the most knowledgeable of all us when it comes to Prevosts and especially Liberty. He owned one Liberty with the 8V92 before he bought his current one. He does 99.9% of his own maintenance and is truly our resident expert when it comes to Prevosts. Hope to meet you in the near future.

FLY-N-LOW
03-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Ft Payne, that is east of Scottsboro right? I think my brother-in law have kids who live there they are from Scottsboro. Goose Island Pond great campground just east of 72 south of town is a great place we have stayed there numerous times. Do you know of others? Down towards Gunthersville maybe.

Hi Joe,

Its my pleasure to meet you here on the POG Blog.

Ft. Payne is just due to south of Scottsboro about 20 -25 miles off hwy 35 south... cross the Tennessee River south of Scottsboro and head towards Section, AL coming up the Mountain ( Sand Mountain ) and then on down to Rainsville, AL and then off the south side of the mountain brings you right into Ft. Payne down in the Valley, if you keep on trucking thru Ft. Payne on Hwy 35 south I am about another 20 miles south of there across Lookout Mountain in a very small town known as Gaylesville, AL ... dont blink are you will miss us ! ;)

I was reading some of your Blog Threads on placing some additional control switching on the Drivers area for various items, and I agree with the other guys in certain ways and then have different feelings about other items, I would like to have a Cruise Control System on the 1990 XL-40 Liberty Coach holding the Juice to the floor for 16 hours tends to wear out a healthy foot.. I just bought this coach yesterday and drove it home from Scranton, PA down interstate 81 by myself ( 850 Miles ) as the better half stayed home and took care of our petting zoo here... BTW the Switching I would like to have the option to control a few forward interior lights from the drivers seat as well, maybe the VALANCE lights and fwd entry lights... not a huge issue as I am a Commercial Aircraft Avionics & Electrical Technician by Trade for the past 30 years.. I love Spark Chasing and Modifications... even Enjoy Engineering various Electrical System Modifications and most of the Bus Stuff is pretty straight up actually its basic D.C. & A.C. Circuits and not three phase or 400 cycle stuff... The one thing I dont like about the Drivers Instrument Cluster is the System annunciation Panel having "RED" L.E.D. lights indicating a system or circuit is active, dont get me wrong I like having the indication for the system showing it operational, I just dont like see that my Head Lights, Fog Lights, Power Distribution is in "Red" LED's as this to me from the Aviation World means "WARNING" something is Wrong and I cant get it out of my head or get past it and it tends to go against the way in which I was taught, so to help my own mind and put a little Americanism on this French Product I am changing the "RED" LED's out with Blue & Green LED's I can deal with Blue to simply show a system is functioning or Green.. but Amber is reserved in my Brain Bag for Caution and Red is reserved for Warning, it makes more sense to me and it is more Logical this way..must less Red is a color of Irritation after a few miles and especially at night or the wee hours of the morning, the other thing I intend to add is a Transistor Dimming Circuit for all Instrument Lighting as this will allow more ease on the Eyeballs and assist with less driver vision issues or constraints, I am not saying this is the gospel for all fellow Prevost owners and they may have already revised the newer rigs but this 1990 I have needs a minor mod in this area.

Not sure if you have ever noticed the "BLUE" BRIGHT LIGHT indication in most new cars dont care who makes them, even my 2003 Harley Davidson Road King Bright Light Indication drives me freaking nuts, I cant stand Bright Lights in the Night when i am driving, I have a condition know as Photo-Sensitive to Light and enough of it leads to Migraine Headaches, but I guess the Engineers at the Auto Mfg's figure if they make the Blue Bright light non Dimable that most folks want forget they have the Bright lights on when approaching another vehicle head on... not in these parts ... at any rate I would like to be able to even dim that damn annoying light as well try driving in the remote places with your Bright Lights on and having a Bright Blue light on in your eyes for 30 minutes or longer and you will see how annoying this becomes very quickly, makes me want to take the Engineer that thought of this on the next trip with me so that they can have it in their eyes for a long period of time and then they might understand and make it dimable for folks like me.. I have already corrected this matter on everything I own and drive, its them rental cars that I cant modify that bug me ...

The other thing I can see happening is someone to turn on a Nice Bright Overhead Ceiling light at 3:00 a.m. as I cruising down the Interstate at 65MPH and ruin my night vision for me, I want to be able to have the discretion to get rid of it right away in case I should need too .. Know what I mean .. actually I suppose if even more Engineering had went in to it they would have controlled the Bright Overhead Lighting from such an aspect that when the bus is in Gear that these Bright Lights at night time would not be able to be turned on to begin with, this could also be accomplished with a Light Sensor as used to control Head Lights on most vehicles in "AUTO-MODE" ... but what do I know ? Not Much ... its easier that way ...
I can modify them though and build it in mine with a little work so this is the case.

BTW your question on parks around Lake Guntersville... I did the Google on it and found this Link for you but there are others .. you may want to try a google search for Lake Guntersville RV Parks ... here's the link I have for them ... http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Alabama/Guntersville.html

Its really pretty country and nice to visit the view from Section, AL atop of the Tennessee River is awesome and you probably know about the Little River Canyon just south of Fort Payne off Hwy 35 south a few miles ..this is a awesome place to visit ( Largest Canyon East of the Grand Canyon ) and about 5 miles from my place here, Desoto State Park is also nearby and also a Nice visit.. lots of Country to see and enjoy out there ! Makes me glad to be an American and knowing what we all have to enjoy here in our Country !!

If your every headed back up this way please feel free to stop by and see us.. we have plenty of room here to park your rig and a whole bunch more like it probably... all you can here at our place is the Frogs and Crickets at Night... no city noises or Sirens to contend with I had that already in my previous life... now just enjoying the Country...:D

Your Thoughts and Comments always welcome here ?

Pleasure meeting you Joe and we look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers...

Tommy " FLY-N-LOW"

FLY-N-LOW
03-14-2009, 02:09 AM
Hi Dale,

I see your a bit of a Night Owl Like me ... Ok very good on your reply here, yeah I guess your pretty safe there in Fla. with the Winterizing but not to say that Fla. doesnt get cold or frost at times. Being the Ole 1990 XL-40 was up in the Penn State area its definitely a must to take such action and even here in N.E. Alabama I have to do the same thing with my 1970 Eagle Model 10.. empty the Holding Tanks prior to Winter and add RV Water system anti-freeze and run all lines till I see it coming out, most of the RV anti-freeze is Pink in Color like Grape Fruit Juice, so you know when it is all the way up through the lines... even the toilet supply line has to have it run in the bowl so it dont freeze either..

Yes it would have been nice if he would have even left the Old Seals laying neer by tied off to the lines with a Loaf of Bread Twisty Tie or something so that I could have had them for a reference, it is one of those things that I know I need them but not sure of the size of them or even what shape they look like or even the Color of them, probably Black and Round the rest is all guessing on the dimensions... so maybe someone will have crossed this Bridge before and get me some good Poop on where I can locate them.
I got to have them and then have them in place so I can reconnect the Inlet & outlet Supply lines before filling and priming the water lines to have water supply on the Machine worse then not being able to shower is not being able to flush the Toilet... neither is a good deal as you know ?

Ok very good, Jon sounds like a Wealth of Information and a good man and we would enjoy meeting him, he probably has a few of these seals in his hip pocket... To know these macines is to jump in there on them and get the hands dirty.

I will look for future POG inputs on this matter as I am certain somebody out there knows exactly what I am looking for here... I have seen the same Water Softener on other Prevost models..

Thanks Dale.

Regards,

Jon Wehrenberg
03-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Tommy, I suspect the seals are the flat rubber washers that go on the I/O of the "sand" filter, a white plastic housing with a mechanical timer on the top. If you can't find them I suspect you can make them or find them on line. If I remember they are about 3/32 ot 1/8 thick. If you can't get them before you want to fill the water system just connect the two lines together, I think the fittings are threaded. I don't recall there being any glued joints so whatever fittings you end up using to bypass the filter can be removed when you get washers.

You should have cruise control. The side panel under the driver's side slider window should have an on-off switch, a set switch, a resume switch and a square white button which disengages the cruise.

Free advice to someone just joining the asylum....before you start re-engineering things get to know your coach. Really get to know it. Open up panels and find what is hidden in various nooks and crannies, learn where the shut off valves are and see where various relays and terminal blocks are hidden. Once you have come to understand the layout and systems you will be in a much better position to decide if you want to make changes and how you want to integrate those changes. Equally important is to insure the bus (not the house) is up to date on all maintenance. There are some items that will put your bus on a hook if they fail.

Toy Box
03-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Flyin-lo...did you buy the new ride from the bus man ? Was it in Wilkes-Barre Pa. ? just wondering.

aggies09
03-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Tommy,

Welcome to POG. We are fairly new Prevost and motorhomes and the folks on this site have been a tremendous resource for us and very generous with their time. You will see posts referring to MPD or Mad Prevost Disease; we all have it and can't wait until we can go somewhere again. Congratulations on your new purchase and hope to meet you in the future.

Will Garner
03-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Tommy,

Welcome to the POG. This is a group with personalities that cover the whole spectrum. One thing, if I remember correctly, Jon once posted that he would NEVER use a high pressure washer in his engine bay. Use Dove hand soap on a soft sponge to break down the grease and keep your hands baby soft. Then flush gently with a garden hose and dry with a hair dryer on low heat. Oh yeah, then wax everything you can reach with a high quality automotive wax. And you better get this done before going to Mobile - there will be an inspection of all newbies.

Now most of the above can be seen as what for the most part it is - bs. However, I really do recall Jon saying he would never use a high pressure washer in the engine bay. I think he applies liberal amounts of a "green" degreaser and then soft flushes it off with a garden hose. The drying and waxing are optional.

dale farley
03-14-2009, 10:12 AM
It does occasionally get a little cold here . In fact, this has been the coldest winter we've had in several years (probably 10 nights below freezing). It never went below freezing last year (global warming). Since the bus is in the garage, I just place a 75w bulb in the plumbing bay and run an 800w heater inside the coach on the nights when it is going to freeze.

I actually did the same thing in Yellowstone for 5 months with no problems. Everything seems to be very well insulated. Of course, in Yellowstone, we were living in the bus, and here in Pensacola, it never stays below freezing but a few hours at a time. I fully understand many hours of freezing would be disastrous. We have some on the forum who can attest to this!

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Welcome Tommy, You certainley are all enthused about your bus and that's a good thing. I see your at ease with the key board and that's good too, but don't forget to read. The previous posts that is. There are many things you will want to know already posted. We don't mind talking about it all, over and over again and again though, so ask away.

The washers; If they are for the sand filter that I have, well that company is out of business. You probably can find the washers you need at a good plumbing supply, hardware or Home Depot, or make your own! I have spoken to the man that liquidated that co. and he said most components were generic and off the shelf items, still to be found with a search.
Your idea of the picture of the application or item you are working on is always welcome. It makes it much easier to be on the same plane and up to speed with the details.
Always give as much detail as you know as it is very difficult to asses a situation blindly and remotely.

I am with you on the red light thing and will be interested in seeing your solution. When you make the change write it up and document it with pictures and all.

What do you have in your petting zoo?
We used to have something like that, but it's been reduced quite a bit now that we are selling to be able to full time.

At one time we had 2 horses, 1 mini horse, 9 Alpaca, 2 goats, 25 chickens, 8 ducks, 2 rabbits, 1 turtle, 1 lizard, 2 dogs, 6 cats, and 3 fish.
Now down to 2 horses, 1/2 dog, and 1 cat. You need anything???;)

JIM:)

garyde
03-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Welcome Tommy and Margie. Congradulations on your Coach. Welcome to POG. If you call Troy at Liberty, he can help you with those seals, or point you in the right direction. 1-800 554 9877, 1 772 349 7022 cell. Also, you should register with Liberty and get on their mailing list.

FLY-N-LOW
03-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your comments here in regards to the Missing Washers for the Sand Filter Element " So thats what that is " the previous owner referred to it as a water softener and said during winterizing that it had to come out and be stored in a warm area and the water drained from it, I see that there is shut off valves at each line coming and going from the Sand Filter. Once I have the Gaskets located and installed I will open those both back up and proceed to fill the system with H20 once again and then read up on priming the system, at present time the Circuit Breakers are all off which deal with the water related items...

Yeah your absolutely right, before making any changes to the Rig I will definitely get more familiar with her.. Ok on the panel near the Drivers Sliding Window, I did see some switches located there but did not notice exactly what all of them were, Spot Light on top is there , a Big White lite up Decellerate button is there and more, I will have to look these over more closely and see what all is there, mind you some of the label engravings have lite wear, but enough wear on the actual switch to make it hard to read which circuit they actually are and for a guy who is blind in one eye and cant see out of the other one...

Its a Pleasure to meet you Jon and we will look forward to hearing from you going forward here... I will see what the Local Plumbing Supply has to offer as well the Local Home Depot or Lowes for these Round Rubber Line Gaskets
to bad I didnt know of the POG before my trip I could have stopped in Knoxville the other night and bought you a cup of Coffee.

Thanks Jon.

Regards.

FLY-N-LOW
03-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi TOY-BOX,

I actually purchased this Rig ( 1990 Prevost XL-40 Liberty ) from a gentleman
name Mr. David Coleman.

He does live in the Wilkes-Barre, Pa. area and is a very nice man and pretty knowledgible on the Coach.

He had this Bus and another and was looking to buy yet another third bus, I guess he had a Really Bad Case of The Mad Prevost Disease and finally decided it was a chore to keep up with three buses and decided to put this one on the auction block he and I talked later during the day I left with this 1990 and the porr guy was about sick over seeing it leave and said he was having with drawls not seeing it in the Barn anymore... there for awhile I thought he was going to pay me to just leave him with the bus and not take it, I offered him to make the trip here to Bama with me or to stop down and visit the bus anytime.

Take Care...

FLY-N-LOW
03-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi Aggies09 ,

Tony thanks for the welcoming and kind words, it is my pleasure to meet you on the POG here.

I suspect this will be the very best source of information for any Prevost owner and I am glad that it is in place for all of us to share various subjects and get to know each other.

We will look forward to meeting you at a Rally Sometimes, We are usually always out there running around in that Ole Lone Star as my Wife is from those parts and my sister is out in the DFW area.

Enjoy !

I can see that the MPD is already setting in on me now and I am good with that.

Cheers ;)

FLY-N-LOW
03-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi Will,

Thanks for the Welcoming, we really look forward to meeting most that we can here on the POG as well at the RALLIES ..

Ok on the Green Dove Hand Soap, degreaser and not using a High Pressure washer .. I can understand and appreciate his concerns with using the High Pressure washers as they will take more then just the Grease off if your not really really careful... I like using a 1 Gallon Pump Can of the Fast Orange Hand Cleaner and working it into various areas and then reducing the Pressure washer back to 600 psi or so to watch the Grease and road grime come right off with anything else being removed or damaged. I like the Blow
drying comment and usually do this as well, no kidding I use the Gas Powered Leaf Blower to blow dry all the vehicles after a good washing.

Thanks Will.

Enjoy ! ;)

Jon Wehrenberg
03-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Will is right about my concerns about high pressure engine washing. Use a solvent like Simple Green, use a soft brush to work it in the grease and use a garden hose to flush it off.

There are lots of electrical thingies (a technical term ) that high pressure washing can mess up. But most importantly is the radiator. It needs occasional cleaning because it is sucking exhaust soot and road debris through it and the fins on the tubes are very fragile.

Once an engine is clean and any leaks are corrected it is almost no effort to keep it halfway decent.

FLY-N-LOW
03-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Hi Jim,

Its our pleasure to meet you and thanks for your Welcoming to the POG BLOG.

Oh yeah I am stoked on the New "1990 Prevost Bus " and really look forward to learning more and more about it.. once we get through the Ice Breaking Ceremony here I am going Great Guns to learn this Web Sites In & Outs and where all the good poop on the rigs dwell ... I am certain that probably like you say if its a Prevost and the question has probably been asked already its here somewhere for the review and taking in the various portals ... and this is a good Knowledge base for all of the Prevost enthusiates as I can see so far ( Glad I joined very Well Worth it ) ... I am an easy going guy but enjoy the finer things in life and take em as they come or go and thus the reason for being at ease with the Keyboard, after thirty years as a Commercial Aircraft Maintenance guy and a owner of an Old 1970 Eagle model 10 which has the DD 8V71 & a 10 Speed Roadranger tranny and a few aircraft previously owned I can see that the Prevost will keep me with a new challenge now to learn her systems and keep them maintained in tip top Airworthy condition or should I say Road Worthy Condition, I believe that knowing the Machine inside out with all of its systems and features is to appreciate the machine to its fullest potential... nothing like a well rounded educational knowledge on any piece of equipment one owns or operates.

As I had it explained to me along time ago by an Old Lufthansa Airlines Maintenance Chief, if you take care and maintain your equipment to the fullest then the equipment will take care of you and you will have success and reliability with that equipment and it will provide operational satisfaction.
I have applied this mindset to all machinery I own including the Tractor I use here on the Farm Place and all the other equipment, I made up a maintenance schedule and checklist of items to accomplish for the maintenance Services at various Intervals both those of the OEM of the various equipment and extra items I additionally included to check on as well. as an example I have a few Harley Davidson bikes and one of them being a 1998 year model, it had the original battery from Harley still installed in it up until last year 2008, it finally had cells die in it so I went to the local dealer and took the battery with me to ensure I had the exact replacement battery and when I showed it to the guy behind the counter I thought he was going to faint.. he said you have got to be kidding me, I can not believe that this is the battery that came with the Bike and it is just now died on you finally, he went on to explain how most folks are there every three to four years needing a new battery and I was able to make mine last for basically 10 years, he asked me then how I did it... I just told him I took care of my Machines and kept them in tip top order... before leaving the Harley Dealer he asked if they could keep this Old Gel-Sealed Battery as they wanted to place it on their store shelf in the Maintenance area for Display and asked could they place my name on it for other customers to see it... I told them that would be fine but hopefully not to many folks would do the routine things I do because it might affect their Battery Sales for the future... I laughed and left it with him... I will try and see if I can do the same with the new battery now, that's my goal on all my equipment.

Thanks for your comment in regards to the Washers and the poop on the Sand Filter OEM now being history, seems a way of the 21st century anymore, they come and go dont they.. its too bad but true I suppose and keeps us all in a bit of a delima with replacement parts and components for such items... however like you all have stated I can probably locate something locally to resolve this minor issue and once I do find these new Rubber Gaskets I will additionally share the full details on their Size Dimensions and where I located them ... someone else also may need them someday as well and they can then hopefully head straight to the source.

Ok glad that I have your confirmation on the RED LED's I see these may be of interest to you as well and I am going to change mine out for sure and will do a Photo / Documentation of this Modification and post it here once I have all the full details in place for those out there that may wish to follow suit on it. I can tell you now that the Replacement LED's can be purchased from any major Electronics Supply house such as Digi-Key corp. up in Thief River Falls, MN. and you can get LED's in any color & voltage under and the Rainbow anymore, I am thinking that I will use "Green" for the Electrical Bus Distribution Indications and "Blue" LED lights for all the other Systems being as an "On " or in operational use status indication... as I stated previously the RED LED's just mess with my mind and I suppose its a Mental thing, but a good thing when you really stop and think about .. RED LIGHTS are always a sign of trouble such as Rail-Road Crossings, Fire Alarms or even the ones of the Red-Light Districts in Amsterdam... I like to keep away from all the RED LIGHTS at every chance I can..

I suppose I was a bit loose with the terminology " Petting Zoo" when now compared to your Petting Zoo, we have two Yorkies and three cats indoors and two outside yard dogs to greet all visitors... so you win with your petting Zoo on the toss up here.. We had considered Horses also at one time and a few head of cattle but the Boss Lady says since I am traveling in the line of business so much as yet that she did not want to be a single ranch hand, I suppose there is some Merit there and figured its best to leave well alone and listen for a change, seems to keep all in perspective that way.. know what I mean ?

Wow you have two horses and a 1/2 Dog.. I never seen a real live half dog Jim I suppose there is some explanation there ????, most the Half dogs I have seen were less than something one would enjoy looking at.... Just Kidding with you here ! I suppose our two Yorkies total a 1/2 dog in that sense as well and let me tell you they are worse then Kids and not to mention they are rotten to the Core as we say down here they are Ruint ! I lay blame for this mostly on the other half...

Jim Great to meet you here and will look forward to eye balling with you at a Rally someday !

Thanks !!

Regards, ;)

FLY-N-LOW
03-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Garyde,

Its our pleasure to meet you !

Thanks for your warm welcoming to the POG BLOG and the Congrats on the New 1990 Prevost Rig...

Ok very good I will keep Troy's name and contact details on my List of contacts for this request and future issues that may arise.

I use to also stay there in the Santa Barbara area actually in Goleta, Ca and I really enjoyed it, the weather and views were awesome in those parts as I was there working at the Santa Barbara Airport, I use to fond an Electronics store there all the time as it was a nice little store off the main drag and they had lots of good items in there. you may know the place but I cant remember the name of it... another good store I use to visit in North Hollywood was the "Op-AMP" electronics store and they had tons of Goodies also.

Really miss these type things that the West Coast Cities of California has to offer, but yet enjoy the Country and Mountains here in N.E. Alabama

I will contact Troy and see what he can additionally offer on this quest for the Water Line Rubber Gaskets ....

Thanks Again Gary !

Cheers...

Regards, ;)

truk4u
03-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Tommy,

Welcome, I'll keep it short!;)

Will Garner
03-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Trukman,

Are you sick or does Nancy have you on a short leash? That has to be a record for the fewest keystrokes ever in one of your postings. Of course there may be a reason for that if it is to try and keep your warm and friendly personna from coming out.

Carole says hey from up here. OKC here we come, but not just yet!

FLY-N-LOW
03-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi Truk4U...

Its our pleasure to meet you.

Thanks for your Welcoming of us here on the POG BLOG and that was pretty short I'll have to admit, especially from a Georgia Boy ?

Some replies have been near book length and the keyboard went into overdrive I suppose...

what part of Georgia do you reside in ?

Nothing like Skins, Stainless Steel, Rivets & Big Blocks with Mucho Horsepower Huh ?

The Trailer on the reply here " Wheres the Room Service " is the license plate tag on the Front Bumper of the 1990 XL-40 we just purchased, I know a few folks was probably wondering what the heck is he thinking here ?

Thanks Tom.

Cheers.... ;)

garyde
03-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi Tommy. My home overlooks Goleta Valley and Santa Barbara Airport. We can see take offs and landings during the day and at night. One of my favorite things is to walk out at Goleta Beach on the weekends and watch private planes take off over the ocean. Marvac Electronics is one of the electronic stores near the airport. I think the name has changed now. Over the years I have installed many electrical systems for Private hangers, and Commercial hangers out at the Airport. Small world, huh.

lewpopp
03-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Jim doesn't have 1/2 a dog, his wife is married to a half-assed dog. Get it?

I'd say hi and wish you the best with your 90 Lib, I have a 90 Marathon and love it. I am ready to get out of coaching and it will be for sale very shortly. Wish we could compare notes.

You don't have to thank me for welcoming you. I nearly pissed my pants reading all that you wrote but it was all interesting. We will know you better than Jon after a few more notes on the forum.

Do you drink? Jon likes guys that write long stories and gets as drunk as hell. Ask him.

In fact, I think his friend is going to the fest in Alabama. He'll love that.

FLY-N-LOW
03-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Hi Gary,

Very good, that sounds like a nice view you have there overlooking the valley and the Airport, I suppose some folks would beg the differ on being inline with the runway approach and be bothered with the noise for arriving and departing aircraft.. and this is a whole nother subject matter in itself... I have been to many airports around the globe in my day and they are usually out there by theirself and then all the sudden long and behold a Housing developement moves in on the airports and everyone starts with the noise abatement B.S. like they didnt know an Airport was in their backyards when they moved in the area... Kind makes you wonder " What the Hell were they Thinking when they moved in" they sure as hell didnt think it would be the Country and they would not here aircraft.. HELLO !

You know when you stop and think about it, Jet noise and the Smell of Jet-A fuel Burning is the Sound and Smell of Freedom my Friend and has brought us all to where we are today in this country, for me I love all the above and have made a very nice living at it, however the changes over just the past 30 years have been for the better in some parts and worse in most parts for the Operators and all the regulatory constraints placed on them, its not a wonder Air Travel is not more expensive than it actually is today already with all the regulatory B.S. now in place.. leave it up to the Govt. to bring resolution to an issue..LOL there..

keep in mind there is always aircraft flying in this country 24 / 7 all hours of the day & Night and in a days time there is well over one million flights per day which take place... and when we hear of a flight having an accident such as the recent ones at New York City and at Buffalo they seem to be huge issues and in right they are to some degree, but here again considering all the flights in a days time, a week, a month, and annually its actually a hell of a safety record for the industry and a good means of travel for the best part, the odds are in ones favor to travel by air versus ground transportation.

However I have heard that the Captain of the Flight which recently made the water landing in the Hudson may be cited for hunting migratory Canadian Geese with an inappropriate weapon over a very populated area by the New York / New Jersey Fish & Game Management Agency and the EPA for the oil spill which was left behind with all that Jet-A in such a clean river around as the Hudson in the New York City area.... someone told me this a few days ago as a Joke but the more you think about it in this day and age I wouldnt put it past them to do such ....LOL it doesnt take much in the industry to go from Hero to Zero very quick !!

Yeah I suspected that little Electronics shop is with the new name by now if it is the same place I am thinking of and like a lot of other shops its with the Days gone by in Time and Times have Changed..its really too bad but the 21st century we domain in now.. Corporate Ameri-china products hard at work.

Ok on installing the Electrical systems and controls for the Hangars there is always the supporting infastructure that has to be in place and maintained to make for the rest of it happen, and your absolutely correct it is a very small industry .. the World over it is a Large Industry but a Small one when you get donw to it, I use to meet a lot of new folks out there around the globe when I first started in the industry and still meet a few here and there, but for the best part I usually now a these days always see someone where ever I go to that I know ... and they all know who you are and your track record each time... the saying with pushing the Big metal around the maintenance sheds goes like this .. Your as good as your last Aircraft ! as you can imagine its a large responsibility doing maintenance on large aircraft and having a lot of lives in your hands daily, but you always do your best and never settle for second best as you only have one shot at it to ensure it is right the first time around...

heres a little thought of the day for you, do you know when an aircraft is ready for Flight ?

its ready for flight when the supporting documentation and overall records on the aircraft out weigh the actual weight of that aircaft itself.

I like the picture of your rig there with the under lights.. Pretty Awesome, did you do that yourself ?

FLY-N-LOW
03-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Lew,

Well alright I want thank you then LewPopp and consider your almost pissing your paints thanks enough .... Glad you enjoyed the reading there, I am told if your going to write on open web forums such as these it cant be boring B.S. and you must throw in enough things to hold the attention of others, I apprecaite the ratings thus far !

I can see that you and Jim are real close buds here and I hate that you think you should hold back with how you really feel about Jim, so just give it to me straight up .... Dog Gone it I can see now this is going to be a Tough Crowd here to deal with... you guys just share the Love and Wealth right off the bat here ...

Hey I am willing to share notes with you on the rigs here, let me know when your ready as I have my Big Cheif Tablet and # 2 Pencil ready to get busy and share the comparisons. But understand I am still trying to figure this Wilderbeast Out since two days of new owenship already, I have been trying to read the manual in my spare time even on the Procellan Thrown for crying out loud and still have a ton of it to digest... these books look like a Boeing 747 Flight Manual already... Jon has already breifed me on the Auto-Pilot.

Do you all have a place on here where you can post additional pictures of yourselves, your rigs and half assed dogs I could enjoy some of that...?? you know those pictures are a whole lot easier on a guys brain and eyeballs, well some of them ..... I am looking forward to seeing the picture this 1/2 rectumized dog though, thats gonna be special !

As a Sailor in Uncle Sams Canoe Club in my previous life you ask me if I drank ? When you only had so much time with Liberty in port you actually learned to inhale and not Drank, these days I am learning more so how to Drank and write long novels on POG Forums know what I mean LEWPOPP ??

Nice to know folks like Jon appreciate a Good Stiff 5th of Uncle Jack and a good Novel at night before bed time... keeps all in perspective this way I suppose...

So Jon's got Friends ? and they too will visit us down this way on the Redneck Riviera ... sounds like a real bunch of Piss Cutters to me .. How bout it ? Which of Jon's friends will be attending this Rally ?

LEWPOPP pleasure chatting with you and we will look for your additional comments mean while tell me more about all your buddies here, however I dont want you to feel that you need to hold back with anything, let me have it straight up as I am a big boy and can deal with it...

Cheers ! ;)

Alek&Lucia
03-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Tommy & Margie,

Welcome to POG !

Visit few members of POG at the Oysterfest '09 in Mobile.
If we can make it from ILLINOIS, I hope you can take a short drive from
"Beautiful N.E. Alabama near Ft. Payne, AL"

Alek

Jon Wehrenberg
03-15-2009, 10:11 AM
If he can keep that Liberty from falling apart on I-59 where the road goes bumpity bump.

garyde
03-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi Tommy. Actually, our home is 5 miles away in the foothills . Not that close to the airport. Liberty comes stock with neon on the underside of the coach.

FLY-N-LOW
03-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Hi Alek,

Pleasure to meet you... We are going to see if we can make it, it all depends on the work schedule yet, the Oyster Fest sounds good to me I like em with Tabasco or the Louisana Hot Sauce on em, they tend to slide down with a little additional flavoring that way !

Yeah the drive is a snap from here until you get down around Montgomery and the road is under construction kind of reminds me of a place called Ka-noxville, TN I-40 comes to mind.. after 10 years of trying to fix the section of about 10 or 15 miles they finally shut it down and send you up and around it now on the 640 By-Pass...

We hope to make it down and will enjoy meeting you both.

I also looked at your location there with the Datastorm near Lake T-Bird.

Enjoy !;)

FLY-N-LOW
03-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Hi Jon,

I-59 from here down to the Magic City is not in bad shape now, the part that has me concerned is down around Montgomery actually as they have been working on it probably since they have been working on I-40 up there thru the Brite Lite City of Ka-Noxville, TN.. I ran I-81 in from the Canadian Border "Hill Island, N.Y. " ( Thousand Islands on the Candian Side / Which is a very nice place I might add, just east about 50 klicks from Kingston, ON ) and dumped right into Knoxville and seen they had the I-40 shut completely down someone at one of the stops just prior said they were replacing Bridges on the east side of that I-40 area and it had all the traffic diverted up to the 640 by-pass, Im thinking it must be the same construction crew that is working on I-65 down around Montgomery and they all must be Union Workers ! I have driven through both places for years now and not once is the construction on the roads ever finished in either location and yes there is more road those crews could yet be working on trust me, if you think we got it bad in Bama and you in Tenn, dont dirve on I-20 through Louisana especially from about Monroe west to Texas those have to be the worst section of interstate in the U.S. as a matter of fact you will become Sea Sick within a short time frame, I ran the Old Eagle out across there and I got to tell you the Old Torsian System was really doing all it could to keep up with it, like riding a Buck Horse in that section... It offers up a Great Driving Skill Course there in those parts of I-20 in the Wee Hours of the morning with all the Orange Barrels lined up so narrow that one is doing good to take a Yugo through them must less a land yacht like these Buses.. Great Challenge though, will definitely keep you awake or wake you right up one... ;)

FLY-N-LOW
03-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi Gary,

I hope and trust your doing well today !

Ok on the location in the Foot Hills about 5 miles away, thats usually almost a safe distance away .. you know they say when aircraft runs out of fuel it is always within 5 to 3 miles of an airport puts you right out there at the Fringe..

I focused on just operating this new aircraft carrier ( 1990 Prevost ) from up in Pa. area back home and only the essential stuff required for driving it back, if the weather will ever decide to stop with all the drizling rain around here long enough I am going to open up all the Bay Doors and crawl through it from one end to the other with a even more in depth look, I did this on my pre-purchase Inspection and even pulled it in over the Pit and looked over the bottom of the rig from Front to back... and it is clean as a whistle no leaks or corrosion was noted anywhere on this Cream Puff... now I want to revisit these areas more in depth to see where all the goods are located and get real familiar with her... actual Inimate with her !!

Ok on the Neon Lights being factory Installed, I guess thats a later option on the newer rigs from the converter facility, as I did not notice them on the 1990 dream liner here... I guess Neon Lights had not progressed far enough along in that time frame to be placed on a Bus like at present time... no wonder I couldnt find mine and I was just about to call Jon and ask him where my Switch was located ? my next call was going to be to Prevost...
I just hate having to make Phone Calls like that !!! :rolleyes: Can you Imagine a Phone Conversation like that ?

I am certain that would have earned a few Nominations for an award. :)

Got's to keep it fun in a World gone Mad " Ya-Hoo " :p

FLY-N-LOW
03-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi Guys !

Do any of you younger fellows in the Group remember any of these Old Westerns ? Yep that means you LewPopp

I use to enjoy watching them back in the Day and miss them yet, these were the Good Old Days of the Classics ... Check out the Web Site here and lets hear your comments...

http://objflicks.com/thoseoldwesterns.htm

these are sure to have you grinnen like a Poodle with a mouth full of Wasp, How bout it ?

Enjoy ! ;)

lewpopp
03-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Hey TS, I'm not old enough to know about them there old westerns.

I'm a "got rich sob" with second generation money and have not obtained the age to go out and earn any of my own $$$$$$.

Maybe Harry is old enough. He's older than dirt. Talk to him.

You've got a long way to go. You must learn the secret handshake and where the ATR button is. Jon perhaps will straighten you out. Remember, I have a 90, not a Liberty. So anything I say doesn't count when it comes to Liberty owners. We're 2nd class, according to them. They will find out the truth some day.

garyde
03-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Don't let Lew pull one over , he's a western screen idol from the golden age of movies. I grew up on Westerns, seen all of them many times over . Became a Movie Junkie at a young age. I remember going to Rodeos in Napa, Idaho as a kid and seeing all of the Gun Smoke TV stars. Anyone remember Stoney Burke? That was Jack Lord before he got the Hawaii 5-0 gig.
Growing up in Idaho, everyone wanted to grow up to be a Cowboy.

FLY-N-LOW
03-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Lew,

your Eyes are Brown in Color too Mr.. I heard from a few of your Old Bud's up in and around the Elmira & Horse Heads area and they have told me a different story than that about you... Didnt think this young whipper snapper knew any of the like of those parts did you... I usually make the Albany to Montreal Drive twice a month right up 87 and back, did I mention that is an Awesome Drive even in the middle of Winter through them Adirondacks just north of Saratoga Springs to Platsburgh ... nicest area is around Lake George and Lake Placid ..

Now who in the Heck is Dirt Harry or is it Dirty Harry ? Older than Dirt Harry ?

I have shaken a few hands and even in secret, but a Secret Handshake next you will want to know my Grandmothers age or something like that ... buttons I have pushed a few but never the right ones most the time..

Yeah I am certain Ole Jon can straighten me right out on the ATR Button it has to be somewhere on this Matrix of Switches and Gadgets...

Been doing a little reading on the POG BLOG Here and find your article on changing out the Front Glass to be a snap... I will keep this one tucked away for future requirements for those who own Marathons ... Of course it might be a day or two before that happens cause you know how us Liberty owners ?

Take all the Wooden Nickles you can and in the shuffle if you cross any Roundtoits hang on to em they may just work at the ATR button. ;)

FLY-N-LOW
03-16-2009, 06:06 AM
Gary,

you know I just about had bought into Lew's story there until I had heard back from you...

Lew is going to have to bring a big sack lunch with em and a tall mason jar full of it to pull one over around here... I bet Lew knows all em on a first name basis, he probably was killing rats and swapping lies with the Old Duke himself in his younger days ... no telling how many Westerns he got to watch on the Old Rabbit eared Boob TUBEs ... at least folks got more exercise in them days from what I hear, they had to get up and jerk the rabbits ears in half a dozen different directions, go and get clothes hangers to add to them to better the reception and then return to trying to watch the show before it was over... not to mention having to get back up and jerk around on the Channel Knob to try and get rid of all the Grain & Snow off the tube so you could see the tube with some resemblance of a Picture on it and just about the time all that was taken care of and you set back down the damn vertical rolling lines would start... I dont know anything about any of that stuff to young but sure did hear a lot of the Older Folks always talking and cussing them old one eyed monsters out over such... did you ever get to experience any of that Garbage on your T.V. Set as a Youngster ? I remember seeing them older folks in the day put a smack down on top of them old wood grained cabinets that all that stuff was housed in and next thing you know the Old Tube would come to life... and there was the Real McCoys and Gene Autry right there on the screen ... Ive tried this technique on the newer sets and for some reason it dont do much good, now a days most folks get pissed enough with em and throw them straight out in the Trash Pile and head to Wally World for a New one ! I got to tell you its a hell of a concept ! just about put the Old T.V. Repairman straight out a Business...

I could get use to some of that with a lot of things I deal with daily around here... ;)

Yeah I liked watching the Hawaii Five-0 with Jack... always like that adlib line of his " Bookem Daniel " :cool: