PDA

View Full Version : The Engine Access Hatch

Joe Cannarozzi
03-11-2009, 12:34 AM
For those of you who were curious about just what is involved in removing it here you go.

This is a 40 and it is way easier to do than a 45 usually, an east and west bed is also usually easier than one with the headboard at the back wall, fortunatly this camper was both. We did not have to remove the bed and frame but just take it loose from the floor and raise it up and block it.

If you plan on cleaning the engine and do not want to piss anyone off make sure you cover everything

Happiness is a clean motor:) We found a couple of small leaks and stopped them. Replaced the regulator for the air compressor, replaced some deteriorated wire loom protector and went through a good amount of zip ties snugging things tight from rubbing.

My new friend and I, former state rep and then Setator, diplomat for Japan and Regans chief of staff. From the great state of Tennessee, Howard Baker. Erik and Debs next door neighbor!

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Joe, I guess you finally found someone to talk politics with.

JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
03-11-2009, 07:58 AM
When replacing the engine cover it is vital that it gets sealed.

Failure to seal it could result in a fine black soot darkening all fabrics in the bedroom area. We found that out on our original coach. The cover just did not fit tight and everything in the bedroom started to get gray and sooty looking.

Because the bed was fore and aft and access was easy I just used an abundance of duct tape (which would not be seen) to seal all around the cover. I think the soot was a combination of exhaust and rubber from the highway that entered. I think the bedroom was likely a negative pressure area of the coach.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Jim you won't catch me doing that here. Some choose to cry instead of entering into debate when things aren't agreeable.

I was in the USMC when Carter and then Regan were in office. Very regrettable Regan did not send us to Iran. I would have been honored for the opportunity to kneel Acmadinishod and put a bullet in his ear.

truk4u
03-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Anyone know if all the 40's have this access panel?

Jon Wehrenberg
03-11-2009, 11:17 AM
The ones I have seen all have the access. That does not mean the converter did not permanently secure it however.

While it is not necessary to use that access to change an alternator or compressor, it does make it easier. When I had Prevost change the 50DN alternator on my first bus they opted to take it out from below rather than risk doing any damage to the coach interior.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
03-11-2009, 04:14 PM
I think the bedroom was likely a negative pressure area of the coach.

Jon, where those Di's words or yours ? :eek: :D

Sorry but I had to say what others were thinking !

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-11-2009, 07:56 PM
That would explain why I have flatulence. I don't try to emit gasses. They are pulled from me.

garyde
03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Hi Joe. Howard Baker is one of the original good guys. A true Patriot.

rfoster
03-11-2009, 11:10 PM
A good time, and a good meal was had by the East Tn POG Group tonight plus a dignitary from Chicago, recently recruited by Sen Howard Baker.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG4387-1.jpg

Eric, Debbie, A1Jon, Di, on the right Joe C., Me and Micki. Wish we could have stayed longer, but it was getting dark and somebody in the group changes into a pumpkin. The fun at POG never ends.

phorner
03-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Looks like you guys are having a great time......