PDA

View Full Version : OTR A/C Evaporator Filters

Joe Cannarozzi
03-10-2009, 11:50 PM
I am doing some work on an Angola, an XL. I really like their product a very solid built middle of the road conversion. The fact that it is an orphan is dwarfed by the fact that they are put together and engineered the way they did.

However, nobody's perfect. One thing they should have done but didn't was to add some filters in the cold air returns IN the bus so the ones that prevo installs directly on the face of the evaporator stay clean. The evap for the OTR A/C is third bay back drivers side and to access the filters you get at them from the forward wall of the plumbing bay. Considerably longer a project than pulling one from a return register below the kitchen cabinats.

Here is the plumbing bay with the hot water heater and fresh water tank removed and you can see the tall skinny access door on a piano hinge for the evap filters marked on the forward wall.

Here is the backside of the evap looking in thru that door with the filters removed. The filters were so dirty the evap itself had begun to take on dirt.

This pic is not so good. You had to be here to appreciate just how much crap was in them. Based on their location and condition probably never been cleaned, the bus is an early 90's:eek: We sprayed them and vacuumed them and blew them with air for 3 hrs to get them right. They are designed to be reusable, all metal mesh.

Here is the end result with the bottom filter only to better display what is going on in there. Since we do not plan on doing this again any time soon we hunted down some evap cleaner and sprayed it down good with that. Big difference.

Here is Erik showing his better side, inspecting and asking his usual 95 questions:)

While we were in there we found a short to the power light for the water pump and also found an existing leak at the water control in the shower and fixed a drip at the pump from a fitting that had an o-ring pinched and cleaned the heck out of everything. It was a good day. Everything was back togeather and leak free by bed time.

garyde
03-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Hi Joe. It makes me appreciate even more my evaporator which is on the 3rd bay swing out door on the passenger side.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Gary that is your condenser you are referring to attached to the 3rd door pass side, your evap is on the port side and it looks just like the picture. I think Liberty did put additional filters in the cold air returns as they should. Keep them clean.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Gary is referring to the access to evaporator filters. They are literally in your face. They are at the top of the bay and in three sections. Less than 2 minutes and they are out ready to be cleaned.

The earlier vintage coaches for some reason did not have the standardization of filter access on OTR coaches I see today. You are showing us the Angola location. In my late 80's Liberty my filter was accessed from inside the coach. It was under the dinette seat and could be removed by dropping a louvered door.

garyde
03-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Your right Joe. The fan coils with the filters are on the Port side door #3.
The OTR fans and cooling coils, and condensor are on the passenger side.