PDA

View Full Version : Macerator Use And Maintenance

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-07-2009, 07:38 AM
Can someone give me the step by step procedure for using the Macerator pump for holding tank draining.

I want to try it out and practice, before the need arises.

How long of a hose can one use?

Does the pump produce much head?

What maintenance is required? Is periodic use enough?

I have heard that the pump should not be run dry. If that is the case, how does one know when the tank is empty and to turn off the pump.
Wouldn't looking for the flow to stop at the hose end be catching it too late?

How do you clean the discharge hose in a way not to contaminate the potable water tap?

JIM

dalej
03-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Jim,

I don't use mine but once in a great while. I have a switch on the dash overhead but added one by the pump so while I'm at the pump I can turn it on and off without going back inside the bus.

You don't want to run it dry, so what I do is hook up the drain hose and then open the discharge valve and then open the inlet valve and then turn it on and let it run until I hear a pitch change in the pump, then turn it off. Then I open the gray tank valve and let grey water fill my Y fitting, then open the black tank and let the grey partially fill the black. Then repeat the above process until the black is drained and rinsed. Do this until the gray is empty.

I have been thinking of going to a 1 inch discharge hose to use at campgrounds instead of the 3 inch gravity hose. I have seen some of the newer rv's that have gone this way but haven't heard much on how it's working out.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-07-2009, 08:08 AM
I only have one holding tank, so I do not have to mix.

I guess I'll just try it and see what happens.

Does paper ever get stuck in the discharge hose?

Do you use a regular garden hose, what dia., or is some other type preferred?

JIM

flyu2there
03-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Can someone give me the step by step procedure for using the Macerator pump for holding tank draining.

I want to try it out and practice, before the need arises.

How long of a hose can one use?

Does the pump produce much head?

What maintenance is required? Is periodic use enough?

I have heard that the pump should not be run dry. If that is the case, how does one know when the tank is empty and to turn off the pump.
Wouldn't looking for the flow to stop at the hose end be catching it too late?

How do you clean the discharge hose in a way not to contaminate the potable water tap?

JIM

Jim,

You left yourself open on this one:D

To really appreciate the macerator pumps use you will need a tank full of nasties, with lotsa solids and paper, even better if well aged. Hose length is immmaterial as long as you have it running downhill, remember downhill! Head pressure depends on what is being ground at the time, in other words it is not a constant flow but rather a rather vial spurtting! Maintenance, I would throw it away when it quit working or after one use, whichever is first! (Usually happens at the same time) Ahh, to know when its empty (the
tank)......you will have probably abandoned the entire idea well before the tank empty's, either your gag reflex has triggered, your neighbors, or someone as far as 1/4 mile away.....perhaps even the police have arrived.
The hose, you don't clean it, you throw it away (in a yellow bio hazzard bag)or burn it!

John

dalej
03-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Mine at home is a 1 inch ID. You can use a hose, I think that a lot of systems are set up with a hose fitting from what I have seen.

What do you have setup for the discarge? I have a 1 inch female pipe thread coming off the discharge valve so I can you any set up.

This is only a guess but if you only have one waste tank, you are holding 98 percent water, so you'll have no problems with paper.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-07-2009, 08:31 AM
I assume I have a regular (garden) hose bib, but don't know exactly, nor where it's to be found:confused:

Jon, I don't think you throw these hoses away, some use the macerator for all holding tank emptying.

phorner
03-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Jim,

I wanted to test mine on the Liberty, just to see how (and if) it worked.

A standard garden hose was attached to the outlet near the rear bumper and then I just placed the outlet end in the regular sewer pipe here at the Resort.

I only have a switch on the dash, which in my case is a momentary switch. So I simply held it in the on position until I heard the pitch change, which indicated that the tank was empty and was easily confirmed by the level indicator over the dash.

Since we have a single waste tank, the "work" for the macerator pump is minimal. There was no issue with anything clogging the garden hose.

It's nice to know that there is a backup plan and it works!

phorner
03-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Jim,

Check the right rear corner of the bus, just beneath the engine bay door, for a small brass cap that covers the hose connection.

phorner
03-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Oh, and make sure you keep that brass cap polished......:D

03-07-2009, 08:41 AM
I recently replaced my Macerator pump and have tested it. I have a dedicated garden hose (do not try and prime this hose using your mouth) and a connection on the curb side of the third bay. Switch in the Plumbing bay that once on stays on until one turns it off (witch is why I replaced the pump). There is also an electric valve that opens to allow both the grey and black water to combine and exit together. I have been considering a longer hose to reach remote sewer locations, wonder how long is too long and how much of a grade the pump can handle, might test this w grey water first.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-07-2009, 08:41 AM
OK, Paul now were getting down to it.

I found that and thought that is what it was, but nothing comes out and I was afraid to continue feeling if I didn't have it correctly turned on that I would burnout/damage something.

After connecting the hose, what next? :eek: Is there a mechanical or electrical valve or doe you just turn on the pump?

JIM

phorner
03-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Jim, on mine there is no valve......just connect the hose, hit the switch and watch the tank contents empty....

phorner
03-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Also, it may take a minute to prime the pump, but it should start discharging after a short while...

03-07-2009, 09:00 AM
How long has it been since you have used the pump. What type of noise is the pump making, is it getting hot, might not be priming???

truk4u
03-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Jim,

I probably have the same setup, the macerator is mounted on top of the holding tank. Mine will not pump, it runs fine, but it won't pickup any of the liquid. I talked to Liberty and we both come to the conclusion that the rubber impellers are probably gone and that's why it won't self prime. I have a dedicated 1/2 garden hose and while at Camp Keller, Roger, Jim and I tried back flushing to get the pump to prime, but no good.

I have the bay opened up while replacing my tank sensors and to get to the macerator is going to be a nightmare. All the plumbing has to be removed in order to reach the pump. I'll tackle it later when the temps are warmer.

Like Pauls, mine has a momentary switch on the dash. I would rather have the switch back in the plumbing bay and when I take it all apart, I'll add a switch so the macerator can be used from the bay.

If yours won't self prime, you may have the same problem or the king left you a lodged log!

flyu2there
03-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I really do not know how these things found their way to coaches and motorhomes, but they have. My experience with them has been in boating, when the Coast Guard decided that dumping effluent into the water was a no no some thirty years ago, manufacturers starting putting holding tanks into boats. Trouble was, the holding tanks were placed in the low parts of the boat (bilge area) and docks that would accept sewage were substantially higher. A regular pump would not work because of the solids, welcome to the birth of the macerator pump. A basic garbage disposal with a pump at the discharge port. The really good ones, like the better garbage disposals, had stainless steel impellers, the cheapos had nylon or rubber. Many yacht owners installed a Y valve that could be used beyond the 3 mile limit in order to avoid the pumping, but that is a different story.

All that being said, what purpose could they ever serve in a motorhome? To be able to dispose of both liquid and solid waste through a garden hose, why?
OK, so they installed one on your coach and you want to use it...first, because of infrequent use, as mentioned by other correspondents, it porbably won't, dried up seals, gummed up impeller. As Truk mentioned, his is located on top of his waste water tank, that's a convenient location for access, cleaning and repair! So you still want to use it....if it does not work go to West Marine (they are on the web) and you can order any part or component for nearly every macerator pump made, it is still a thriving replacement parts business for them. There are special slide on fittings and hoses that were designed specifically for use with waste and will never be confused with the garden hose that someone is going to accidently hook up to their fresh water system at one point.

Do not forget the paper disposable jump suit, rubber boots, nitrile gloves, safety glasses, hand sanitizer, soap, water, dust mask and a little Vics Vapor Rub....put a dab under your nose before putting on the dust mask and it will slow the gag reflex.

By the way, remember just one wad of cotton into the macerator, even the best ones, and it is gone...........

Jamie Bradford
03-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I agree with Flyu2there--- Why do you need a macerator?:confused:

phorner
03-07-2009, 11:56 AM
You may never need it..........

BUT.....I would rather HAVE it than WISH I had it !!:eek::D!!

Ray Davis
03-07-2009, 11:57 AM
All that being said, what purpose could they ever serve in a motorhome?

In my last trip with my previous (pre-fire) Marathon the campgroud had the sewage dump way back at the back of the site. Way too far to be reached with my 10 foot hose, and I didn't happen to have another 10 or 15 foot extension. Plus that would have been a LONG level travel through a standard system.

Intead, I grabbed one of my older garden hoses and hooked it to the macerator output. On the Marathon, there were two places it would discharge, either left or right side, about the front of the 4th bay.

Hooked up the hose, and ran it back to the sewer pipe, and then pushed the button for the macerator. I have to say, it was probably the easiest dump I have ever done.

In the Marathon case, the macerator is in the bottom front of the water bay, and is connected with manual Y valves to the black and gray tanks. Just pull the levers, push the run button (also in the water bay), and out comes the bad stuff.

I found it much easier to use than a gravity fill. I wish my current Marathon had it.

Ray

Petervs
03-07-2009, 12:16 PM
The reason you want a macerator pump is:

To empty the tank at a location that does not have a normal sewer connection. Maybe you are staying at a friends house and the tanks are full. You connect a garden hose ( one specifically designated for this duty only) and run it into the house and right into a toilet or washing machine drain . Turn on pump, problem solved. You can pump it 5 to 10 feet higher than the tank outlet, so you have many more options than just running onto the ground.

You can also use it to empty the gray tank ( if you have separate tanks) since it always seems to fill up first. You can just run it into the bushes , away from the coach by the distance equal to the length of your hose. It beats just dumping on the ground under the coach.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
I try to use exercise every component for an hr or so at least once a month or so.

If used very infrequently chances are it will fail prematurely.

Our toilet is a macerator I love it. We only have 1 holding tank, never any solids:). If I run my electronic odor control(killing odor by electrocution of bacteria) I have NO ODOR regardless how I dump.

All the buses with a bath and 1/2 also will have macerator toilets.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the input. I'll dig around a little and report back, probably be about a week though. The boss has other ideas about my time now.

I guess I won't worry too much about ruining anything. It'll either work or not and if not I will fix it:rolleyes::)

JIM

flyu2there
03-07-2009, 01:12 PM
The reason you want a macerator pump is:

To empty the tank at a location that does not have a normal sewer connection. Maybe you are staying at a friends house and the tanks are full. You connect a garden hose ( one specifically designated for this duty only) and run it into the house and right into a toilet or washing machine drain . Turn on pump, problem solved. You can pump it 5 to 10 feet higher than the tank outlet, so you have many more options than just running onto the ground.

You can also use it to empty the gray tank ( if you have separate tanks) since it always seems to fill up first. You can just run it into the bushes , away from the coach by the distance equal to the length of your hose. It beats just dumping on the ground under the coach.

You could also simply use their toilet......course that wouldn't be as much fun as dragging a hose across hardwood floors, carpeting or perhaps throough a window! Should they have a septic system, tanks usually around 2000 gallons, might cause them some grief there too as that is way to much effluent at one time and the stuff works its way up through the shower pans....probably won't be invited back.

All I am saying is that I have used these damn things for years on boats and 1 in 4 times it may work. As mentioned watch what happens when Kotex goes through it, or tries. The system is unsanitary, stinks, leaks (sooner or later)...oh what the hay, a little e boli never hurt anyone.

It may be convenient as Ray mentioned but do the ends justify the means? I think not.

John

Ray Davis
03-07-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm curious, is it any less sanitary than the big 4 inch dump hose, which always seems to pull out of the sewer opening, or leak?

Granted, I only have a statistical sample of one usage, but that one time was clean and easy. I got nothing on my hands, nor on the pavement. I then hooked the dump hose to the hose-bib, and rinsed out the hose.

If they don't work, then certainly that is a different issue. And, if my wife is putting pads down the toilet, she's in big trouble in either case! :eek:

Ray

phorner
03-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I agree, Ray.

The one-and-only time I've used mine it was a breeze. If it wasn't for the momentary switch that I have (and I may correct that) I would use the macerator all the time to dump.

That single black garden hose is much easier, and no dirtier to handle, than the large RV sewer hose.

Maybe I just got lucky with my experience....

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Yes John, you are probably right in the scenarios you have experienced. I however want to dump into an outdoor municipal sewer that is presently not conveniently close to the drive. Not all want to pump into a septic tank.

Without having tried it yet, I don't hesitate to say I don't anticipate it being any more unsanitary than the large gravity dump method.

I do value your opinion and will be on guard.

The cleaning of the drain hose seems to be the problem to me. I will not be connecting it directly to any potable water supply.

What do you think of those long gravity hoses that sit on little stands to keep it all going down hill? Now that's something I don't like!

JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
03-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Jon? John?

I have a macerator and I used it for the first time at the October oysterfest. I couldn't reach the sewer with my normal hose so just for the hell of it I used the macerator. It took about 30 seconds to prime and then it started pumping the tank.

So in 19 years I used one once. I suppose there may be uses for it, but if the bus did not have one I doubt if I would install one.

I used my water fill hose for the macerator pump, and then one night switched hoses with Truk. It's OK Tom. I think you must have it flushed pretty clean by now.

flyu2there
03-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Jon? John?

I have a macerator and I used it for the first time at the October oysterfest. I couldn't reach the sewer with my normal hose so just for the hell of it I used the macerator. It took about 30 seconds to prime and then it started pumping the tank.

So in 19 years I used one once. I suppose there may be uses for it, but if the bus did not have one I doubt if I would install one.

I used my water fill hose for the macerator pump, and then one night switched hoses with Truk. It's OK Tom. I think you must have it flushed pretty clean by now.

That may explain Tom's recent weight loss (:D)....You guys do what you want, I am neither an antagonist or protagonist on this issue....just one word of warning...when this thing comes "unstuck" and you wildly spray human excrements everywhere, inside your tank holding area, outside on the ground, bus windows, your hair, your face, your best friends carpet...you remember that you have been warned.

BTW I have a half dozen piddle packs, used by Naval Aviators in single pilot airplanes for....relief, so to speak. If you like the macerator, you will love the piddle pack, just add Tang and it can be reused (like the Mercury Astronauts)...don't forget the quinine tablet Ghandi!

Good Luck and God Speed,

John

Will Garner
03-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Jim,

I don't believe anyone has contributed these words of caution. Now I don't shoot guns but have been told if a round misfires, NEVER look down the barrel to find out what is wrong:eek:. I think this advice might be transportable to a macerator pump that you don't think has taken a prime:mad:!

Like the Line Sargent on Hill Street Blues used to end roll call with, "Be Careful Out There!" Good advice in this case too:cool:!!

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Will, Liberty made sure you can't look down the barrel. You have to hold the switch to run it and the outlet is too far from the switch.

Bruce, here's a link giving some specs. on a particular brand. They should all have similar specs. if designed for the same market (RVs) so yours might be similar. They claim 350' with the right hose and staying within the lift specs.

http://www.emptythetanks.com/order_online.htm

I don't think many look into the 3" hose either.

JIM

truk4u
03-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Fly Dude - I want to dump at home instead of screwing around always trying to find a dump station before heading to the barn. I have a clean-out beside the house, uphill from the drive and the macerator would be just ducky.;)

Thanks to the earmarks, that's my new RV in the background!:mad:

A-1 - I watched ya switch my hose, then I switched with the King!:eek:

03-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Thats a nice setup. 350', that seems like a big haul for these pumps. I would sure want to test it with H2O first, before making the big leap of faith. If it was good for half that distance, it would be great. Should use the system more, do not know why i do not, old habits i guess.

lewpopp
03-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I had to replace my macerator a couple years ago when I was at Parliament and couldn't move the bus for a week. As best I can recall, it said in the directions not to pump over 100' and expect good results.

hhoppe
03-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the info on using the macerator for other than tail gaters. The new plastic coaches are being delivered with this as the only means of discharging the waste. They use a 1" dia. very flexible hose and it provides a quick easy dump. Camping world sells a grey hose for this purpose.

sawdust_128
03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Let me get this straight. You run a 3/4 to 3" hose anywhere from 50 to 350', potentially uphill 5 to 15'. You pump the mess through it to some appropriate receiver.

When you think your done, what's left in the hose?:confused: I ask because I have no experience with this and I just get a real bad feeling about the opportunity for more negative stimulation.:eek:

phorner
03-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah.....about that uphill part.

Once you shut off the pump, the good old laws of gravity are back in effect :eek:

Could be a real opportunity for the wrong kind of shower!

I've never used mine to overcome significant elevation....only distance.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-09-2009, 01:47 PM
More proof that owning a Prevost is not for sissies.

I'm almost certain this topic is not discussed at PP rallies.

sawdust_128
03-09-2009, 05:35 PM
That Camping World hose, does it come with a biohazard suit? I might give this a try.

flyu2there
03-09-2009, 08:00 PM
O.K., I promise...this is my last post in this thread.

First, I probably have as much macerator experience as anyone on this forum.....I have used them on boats since the early 80's. Second, the theory is great, chews up the waste and feeds it thru something akin to a garden hose at, purely a guess, at 10-15 psi with gusts to 30.

As a tail gater on this issue, never used one on a bus, there are a number of issues to consider. Once again, as other correspondents have mentioned, gravity....s&$t rolls downhill...period! Secondly, the fittings..boats have slip on's...that may be no good at all, however when one considers the possibilities with garden hoses and screw on fitting....I dunno. Unless you have a toilet monitor, or a system designed to alert you what has been put into your head......risk is there that something that may clog, burn down, over pressure your system may well be in the tank (:D). An ancient taco, dried and firmly attached to the side of your holding tank, perhaps an inch or so above the "average" water line until today, will do the job!

If someone tried to sell me a motor home with the macerator as the only means of discharge I would run away...not walk. Planned obselence, maybe...foolish...absolutely! Others have mentioned whether or not the macerator is more or less sanitary than the 3" hose with gravity feed....the worst you can get with the old fashioned hose is a mess on the ground...the worst you can get with the macerator is a pressure wash with unpleasant consequences, vis a vis, your coach and you are now covered with effluent...you be the judge. So now your tank is empty, but your hose is still full...have fun with that one!

As I mentioned, as neither an antoginist or protaginist on this issue rather as one who has had to fool with this stuff for years....in an ideal world it will work just fine however the system s flawed. A square peg in a round hole, that's perhaps the best way to describe the macerator. Yeah, you can pump it uphill, downhill or into you best friend toilet...wouldn't it be much better if you didn't know it existed?

John

sawdust_128
03-09-2009, 08:09 PM
So uuuuhhhh , John, the Camping World hose; it doesn't come with a biohazard suit?

flyu2there
03-09-2009, 08:12 PM
I promised everyone I am finished on this topic...but....I'll bet not...the suit that is....

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-09-2009, 08:22 PM
So John, I guess what you are saying then, is that if I am parked next to you at a rally, and I have trouble with the macerator, don't bother to ask you for assistance. Right!

;):D JIM

flyu2there
03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Jim,

All I can say is that you have been warned. :p

John

garyde
03-09-2009, 11:43 PM
I attempted to use mine this last summer, as I had a broken connection on my port side dump valve. The darn thing never would work, shorted the fuse. I haven't gotten back to it since. Fortunately, I have a starboard dump valve as well, and I was able to use it. I think the problem with these built in units is they go bad from lack of use, freeze up or whatever, so it would be better to invest in a portable unit w/ a hose etc. so you can use it in a pinch or at your home. If you have a garden water spout with a backflow valve, you can rinse out the hose after your done.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-10-2009, 07:13 AM
So Gary, are you saying yours crapped out?:eek:

:DJIM

truk4u
03-10-2009, 08:20 PM
C'mon John, you know you opened the through hull fitting and pumped your goodies overboard!:eek:

Coloradobus
10-20-2009, 08:18 PM
OH I can't let this pass. Has anyone, John, been in RV Park where your 4 inch sewer hose is going up hill to the site receptacle?? What does one do?:confused: You lift it up and slowly feed the contents to the sewer receptacle. Me thinks that's what you do with a garden hose hooked to a macerator, as well to empty it. We have a macerator on the Beaver XL, but haven't used it yet. Looking to buy a dedicated hose like mentioned earlier, will have an external carrier for it for the wiffy things that waft out of the hose when not in use. PeeUeeewww!:eek:

jelmore
10-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Passing on a little experience . . . when at Joe's in Chicago, we used the macerator for the the first time. Worked like a charm, though it takes a while to pump out a full tank. The instructions for the macerator say to run water through the system after the tank has emptied until the discharge is clear. We did that and there was nothing foul. Surprisingly tidy.

blacklab
10-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I bought the Tank Buddy model and it works perfect. I retrofitted mine to accept a garden hose. Pumps 100' and no problems. When your done, rinse it off and put it in the box, and always use a dedicated hose.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-21-2009, 01:38 PM
JDUB uses his white water hose. The theory is that the next time he refills his water tank it gets flushed (no pun intended) out.

flyu2there
10-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Damn, this one back again...you have been warned. A less expensive alternative would be to go to your local dispensary and buy a month's supply of Ally...you will lose weight and if the macerator fails...no worries!:D

John

truk4u
10-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Jon,

With all due respect, you have that Jdub hose thing wrong! He uses Mango's white hose and jerk chicken boy just thinks his water stinks.:eek: