PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Road Service

dale farley
03-06-2009, 06:51 PM
AAA is going up significantly on my RV policy when it comes due, so I am looking to change to another service. I've searched the forum, without success, for some discussion on this topic.

Can someone point me to previous discussions on the subject or tell me alternative services. I am aware of Good Sam, and I see that Coach Net has a program, but it appears that I must be a member of another organization such as FMCA before I can join Coach Net. All comments welcome.

Orren Zook
03-06-2009, 07:44 PM
I use Camping World's Roadcare roadside assistance, coach coverage also is extended to cover all household vehicles. I've had my Prevost towed 50 miles in NY a couple years ago and once had an American Eagle towed 90 miles in VA. I've also used them for roadside tire repair on the bus. I think it runs around $80 a year.

jelmore
03-06-2009, 07:49 PM
On our $1900/year policy, "Other than collision" is $831, "Emergency Vac expense ($1500 per occurrence)" is $4 and "Towing reimbursement (reasonable expense) is $6. I haven't looked into exactly what those terms are.

LarryB
03-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Dale, FMCA is a faily good deal plus a nice magazine and then you can get Coach Net. No first hand knowledge with CN but have heard plenty of good reports. We have been FMCA & Coach Net from the begining.

dale farley
03-07-2009, 09:49 AM
I do see that some have limited tow mileage and others are unlimited. Don't know if that would ever be an issue, but if it was, it could make a significant difference.

Jamie Bradford
03-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Dale

My insurance is through Explorer RV Insurance Agency. Total policy is $ 1,720, which includes roadside assistance ( $ 50.00). The policy says to call the 24 help desk for a wrecker or " use a road service of my choice"?? I got a quote from Progressive also and they were about $ 100 bucks higher but they would not insure the bus in my company name- which I needed.

Since I am fairly new to this I am not sure if I am paying too much or not :confused:- I got two quotes and they seemed to be in line???

I feel like this " Roadside Assistance " stuff- if I ever need it- will be like " Warranties". If and when you need them they will end up paying as little as possible AFTER you have have made 18 phone calls and explained your issue to 12 different supervisors.

Good luck....... Please keep us in the loop with your results.

Jamie:cool:

flyu2there
03-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Give Good Sam a try...I have used it for years even though I am not a Good Sam Member. 80 bucks the first year then they will try to give you a bump to 110 or so...just go onto the web a re register as a new member and your golden.

I have 11 cars and three motorhomes and they are all covered under the policy and their distance limits are liberal....not at all like AAA.

dale farley
03-07-2009, 08:57 PM
It appears that Good Sam and Camping World are about the same price and benefits. Has anyone had a bad experience with either?

dreamchasers
03-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Dale,

I used our Good Sam a few ago. I called a 1-800 number, within 15 minutes I was contacted by a wrecker service to confirm my location. Within 30 minutes after becoming disabled, our coach was being towed.

Good Sam worked for me.

Hector

Loc
03-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Dale,

I can't speak for GS or CW, but we have had Coach Net for the last 8 years. The best thing about Coach Net is that they have techs that man the phones 24 hours a day. They try to help you diagnose and fix the problem. I have had to call them on three occasions. If they are not successful they will call a mobile mechanic or a wrecker. I have used them three times. The first was when I couldn't get our MH to start and they helped me figure out the problem over the phone. The second time was when the speed sensor in the bus transmission went out. Coach Net sent a flatbed trailer with an 18 wheeler and they loaded the bus up and hauled it 70 miles back to Houston. The third time was when we blew the engine in the bus in New Mexico. They sent a heavy duty wrecker who towed us 150 miles to Albuquerque. They have always been responsive and never given me any issues with taking the bus the the appropriate shop to get it repaired. We pay $90 a year. I have never had any charge for any of the service calls or towing. I give them very high marks.

Loc

rfoster
03-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Are they owned by AIG? Billions? Go figure.

No Puns here.