PDA

View Full Version : SMX Board/Lo AC Reading

03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I recently had my Chassis and House batteries replaced at Prevost Car in Jacksonville.

Great result other than the affect on my wallet.

But I have now noticed that I am getting a "Lo Ac" reading on my SMX screen on my galley SMX board for Heat and cooling.

Leon at Marathon said to: 1. press the off button 2. Press the off button a second time while holding both the up and down button at the same time. 3. This will show a reading on the screen. If the reading is at 100V or less press the up button on the SMX pad until the value is between 23 and 25.

I am unable to get my screen to show any values other than the temp and the desired temp setting when I follow this procedure

Has anyone had experience with this issue.

jelmore
03-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Those (not quite right) instructions are for calibrating the AC line voltage. You have to know what the AC line voltage is and then see if your SMX control is off. You have to enter the programming mode by pressing off, then set. Then pressing the up and down keys at the same time will show the last two digits of the line voltage. And before I get in trouble with how to calibrate it, you should read page 7 in the attached pdf file "CruiseAir Controls.pdf".

The problem could indeed be low voltage from shore power. Does your control center (?) show a low ac line voltage on that leg?

This pdf file is handy for customizing your CruiseAirs on things like low fan speed, when the fan comes on, etc. Lots of settings to play with.

03-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Interesting Jim,

I followed the directions that i was given with no results.

I will give it a go by adding the Off, "SET" and UP/DN sequence to the plan this time.

What i believe happened at my end was when the house batteries were changed out the SMX board saw low power for more than 3 minutes which I have been told will require a resetting of the values.

My incoming power to the bus is fine, no issues there.

I am guessing that once I do the sequence you have suggested i will see a value of 10 = 100V or less, If I than press the up button I will want to adjust the value to 23 to 25. Question: Will I than press "SET" again to save the new values??

jelmore
03-05-2009, 10:42 AM
I'd read the manual, again and again. I don't think I would adjust that setting on the SMX without being absolutely sure that it is indeed out of calibration.

phorner
03-05-2009, 10:51 AM
FWIW, I would shut off the breaker to the SMX circuit for a good while. Then turn the breaker back on to see if it "reset".

Nothing to lose.....

03-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Have downloaded it and am now reading it carefully. I see that it explains how to get to these values and what the readings should be. On page 10 its explains the Line voltage and how to check what the readings are. Page 12 says use the down up key to adjust.

adamdegraff
03-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Bruce,
for all things cruise air, I would call Johnny at AAP.

work 804-633-9454
mobile 804-380-6244

He is a great guy and knows this stuff better than anybody. Tell him the fiddle player told you to call him. He travels around the country teaching techs how to work on cruise airs. He's great!

See you in Florida next month?

~Adam

adamdegraff
03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
what kind of batteries did you install? How much installed? I may be in the market. Though... now that I'm in warmer temps, I'm noticing a significant improvement in performance.

Take care,

Adam

03-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Hello Adam,

I have just returned from the bus. have had great success (for Now) with the directions on managing the SMX board. Reset the board to factory specs then did some minor tweaks to get the power and other setting the best possible based on incoming voltage.

This was pretty easy given all that can actually be done using the SMX panel for displaying values for lots of useful stuff.

I have an RVAC system that runs off two 115V 20 amp lines to the board. I needed to adjust the line voltage to meet this value.

Bruce

lewpopp
03-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Bruce,

Did you consider getting Lifeline thru POG. There is a sizeable discount but it's too late now.

lewpopp
03-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Along that same subject, I called and got the price on 6-4D and shipping and decided to wait until I went home and could go thru the town where I called and they (I think) could find someone to install them right there.

adamdegraff
03-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Along that same subject, I called and got the price on 6-4D and shipping and decided to wait until I went home and could go thru the town where I called and they (I think) could find someone to install them right there.

Lew, what was the price? With shipping?

Thanks,

Adam

03-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Hello Lew,

I completely forgot to. I was at Prevost car at the time. I think i paid around $475 each plus install.

I have this sense of comfort when having work done at Prevost Car. First I can be there watching for the entire (supervise) time can ask questions off everyone, if I am not comfortable I can get the Service manager in for a second opinion and lastly all work and parts are warranted for 1 Year from the date (parts are warranted by the manufacturer). So it is my theory that if one of these batteries craps out before a year I will have Prevost car replace them.

I have used the warrantee before when other work failed and there was no question asked.

Just a comfort thing with me.

03-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Adam,

I can tell you from experience that once your batteries start to go they will continue, and can cause problems throughout the bus, so keep an eye on them.

03-06-2009, 08:16 AM
SMX BOARD:

I read the manual from cover to cover and have actually learned much. Reset the default settings and then customized each setting to my region of the country, my voltage etc (RVAC UNITS 115V). You can set the LO&Hi speed fan settings, the voltage the humidity settings, lots actually, important stuff. I would highly recommend taking a look at your settings to see what values each is reading relative to factory specs.

lewpopp
03-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Adam,

The 4D batteries were $343.00 as of last October plus about $150 shipping. 800-527-3224 ,Andrew Ex 229. Things might have changed.

lewpopp
03-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Just to clarify things. The shipping was $150 for 6 4Ds and 4 starting batteries. Would be less for the 4Ds alone.

03-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Adam,

The 4D batteries were $343.00 as of last October plus about $150 shipping. 800-527-3224 ,Andrew Ex 229. Things might have changed.
I do not feel so bad then about the pricing at Prevost car, as I did not pay more than this for my Lifeline batteries from them.

The price I paid included removing all of the batteries, cleaning each post with a razor blade, removing scale, cleaning the compartment, checking all connections and reinstalling the new batteries and of course disposal of the old ones.

I decided to check my invoice and I paid $387 each plus one hour $100 to install each, total of $487 each plus tax of 6.5%, $31.65 for a total of $518.65 w/tax and install.

My back feels much better about not having to lift these beasts out of the bus. My job was to watch and learn, and of course write the check.

adamdegraff
03-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Is everybody in agreement that lifelines are the way to go? What about Gel cells? Just curious.

Thanks,

Adam

lewpopp
03-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Pam,

If Bruce would have helped you put the batteries in instead of standing back and playing accountant, you could have saved your back and exercised Bruce a bit.

I guess the answer is, if I get someone to install the batteries properly for about $140 each, I'm ahead of the game. I'll bet I can find a knowledgeable tech to do it for a lot less. I could go buy a hydraulic jack on wheels and done the job cheaper.

I spend Lewbucks. Know what they are?

03-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Pam,

If Bruce would have helped you put the batteries in instead of standing back and playing accountant, you could have saved your back and exercised Bruce a bit.

I guess the answer is, if I get someone to install the batteries properly for about $140 each, I'm ahead of the game. I'll bet I can find a knowledgeable tech to do it for a lot less. I could go buy a hydraulic jack on wheels and done the job cheaper.

I spend Lewbucks. Know what they are?
Details are in the words. Clarification is most helpful. That makes a big difference in the pricing. I guess I could have saved some of those lewbucks.

PS>How do you dispose of the old batteries???? Does anyone know what the actual warrantee is on these batteries???

lewpopp
03-08-2009, 09:53 PM
I truly expect the installer will know where to rid himself of the old batteries.