PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Help

Joe Cannarozzi
07-16-2006, 07:55 PM
I was looking at a web site earlier for a supplier of refrigerents and I cant seem to relocate it. Not sure but I think Jeff posted it. Im gonna buy 30lbs of R-12 and some R-11 also. Can anyone direct me?

Just Plain Jeff
07-16-2006, 08:22 PM
You might want to try: http://www.refrigerant.net/

There may be some restrictions about buying r12. I overheard a conversation between two air conditioning guys the other day and they 'thought' that there was something called rf12, which is a tamed down version of r12, completely compatible.

But I have learned never to completely trust refrigeration guys.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks Jeff, I dont know if this is a good thing but this is less than I thought I was gonna spend. Must be getting bad to expect to be paying even more.?!

win42
07-20-2006, 05:22 PM
While were guessing about R12 availability. I heard the best source is Mexico. If there is any member living near the border willing to check it out, I'm sure we would all be gratefu. You would be a real hero showing up in Sana Fe with a bottle or two of R12 under your arm. I still remember going into a Costco store just as they were phasing out R12 and seeing pallets of the R12 bottles stacked up. If hind sight only worked I could have gotten wealthy with a healthy buy of the stuff. If only a frog had wings.

Just Plain Jeff
07-20-2006, 05:49 PM
win42, you may want to check yourself in somewhere, because you are fitting into the POG group very quickly..."if frogs had wings?"

You may wish to check around some real airconditioning outfits if there are any in your area. Some of these guys have 'the back room' where you can get lots of stuff. But I think you will have to pay some Lew Bucks for it. BTW, if someone gets nailed bringing r12 across the border they could get in some trouble for it without a license.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-20-2006, 09:12 PM
I just by chance got to talking to the owner of the local garage about R-12. After a short conversation he agreed to sell me a 30lb. keg for the same price that I got from the web site Jeff suggested, $577. Guess this guy stocked a bunch of them, for who knows how cheep before everything changed, he is more than happy to part with one, for almost 6bills! The source that Jeff posted has everything you need, you need a tax I-D number though.

rfoster
07-20-2006, 10:01 PM
3 out of 4 cruise airs still work - one died. Had a local a/c guy come check it out - both of us thought it was out of gas - but no it was full - the compressor tries to kick in (draws like 70 amps?) but clicks off.
Anybody able to advise- do I replace the whole thing or just replace the compressor. Fortunately, it is the easiest one to get to and replace or repair. Port air located behind the from bumper.
It was 100 degrees in Nashville Tue, & Wed. We stayed comfy with the three, but you know how bus people are - if it is on there it needs to work.
If was Jon's - it would be considered as roughing it

truk4u
07-21-2006, 09:17 AM
Roger Dodger,
I know this discussion has come up before and it seems most suggest to just replace the whole unit. At POG1, Lester was telling us you were further ahead to just swap it out, rather than replace parts and then have something else go bad. I think I remember them saying they're about 1300.00 Lew bucks. I believe Mango just did one, maybe he can jump in here if he can pull himself away from all the avaition fun.:D

mike kerley
07-21-2006, 09:27 AM
On our 93, I changed both of the units behind the bumper because the coils were starting to look pretty rough. They might have cleaned up and a new compressor would have been enough to get them going, but new coils make for better cooling so we did that. Parts are about double in price (changing entire package versus the compressor) but the labor will be a little less. We still have one original unit (bedroom unit) that works great, but its much louder than the new units.

Next time I have one changed, i will insist that they charge the unit with nitrogen and watch it for a couple of hours before charging it with freon. Both of mine had connector leaks that required return visits.

Just Plain Jeff
07-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Sounds as if your compressor is getting ready to pass into another world.

What a 'great' AC tech has is a tool called a 'reverser.' What this does is 'reverse' the direction of the compressor motor to see if that will alleviate the problem. Usually it is only a temporary fix.

You're gonna need a new compressor, more than likely. In a Cruise Air, don't throw out the baby with the wash if you can isolate the problem to a single component in the system.

Roger, Dodger!

MangoMike
07-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Fast Roger,

Just replaced one unit about 2 months ago. The newer units are aluminum instead of steel, have extra coils, more blades on the blower motor and are more effecient. You want to deal w/ these guys.

AAP 804 633-9454
16388 Industrial
Milford, Va. 22514

They are the official distributor of Cruise Airs for the nation and will ship a unit. (they come fully charged). My suggestion is to buy a reconditioned unit, which comes with a year warranty for $900. I had them install it at their factory - taking about 4 hours @ $75 hour. Works great and cools better than the other three.

Let us know.
Mango

win42
07-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Freon12 : I bumped into a refrigeration repair guy yesterday that claims they have a F12 replacement called " hot Shot " or something like that. It is compatible with the existing R12 in that you do not have to change to a different oil. He works on all systems including large commercial store freezer boxes.
When I get my coach back home from the paint shop I'll have him come over and perform his magic on my Dash Air system. I'll let you know how I make out.

Harry