PDA

View Full Version : Roof Caulking

LarryB
03-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Anyone have a guide for caulking on the roof? Type and application?

Seems on my bus, there are several different looking caulking.

I would like to clean off the old and re-do all that is looks like a potential leak.

Could I be 'kicking the Bear', or is this a no-brainer? I don't want to start something that is best done by the Pro :confused:. I want to use the proper type of caulking. Most any type will seal for awhile. It's the 'while' that bothers me.

Thanks for the help and sorry if this is a previously discussed topic but, I sure couldn't find it.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-03-2009, 10:39 AM
This is what I use.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/proflex-brushable-sealant/21208

It is the consistency of honey but is self leveling.

I mask on both sides of the seam to get straight edges and peel the tape off before it dries. it makes a neat clear seal. My roof penetrations such as vents and antennas had the typical converter sloppy mess of silicone seal or caulking. I masked around them and just applied the sealant over the top of the caulking already there.

The stuff has worked great and I have had no issues at all. Being a clear material the roof seams and penetrations don't look any worse after sealing than they did before. The material also comes in a caulking tube also from Camping World, but the brushable works and fills any small crevices. I did not think it was worth trying to dig out the old sealant, but if you have the time and energy then the resealing job can be made to look very nice using the two products.

BTW, I applied this along my surface mounted attach points for the awnings. They were not leaking, nor were any of my joints, but I went for preventive maintenance so I would not get water stains inside the coach. So far, so good.

Darrell and Linda
03-03-2009, 07:52 PM
I agree with Jon, I've tried many different types, and I think that's the best stuff on the market.

LarryB
03-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the info John, I'll get on it.

hhoppe
03-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Over the years our sheet metal industry has had the problem of leak proofing roof top AC ductwork. We fought the battle long and hard with various snake oil remedies. Finally a Urethane Product that is not affected by ultraviolet rays, stays semi soft to move with heat expansion of the metal and stops leaks on a permanent basis became available. Our source was a product called Vulkhem produced by Harold A Price Company of Richmond CA. It is available in caulking tubes or brush grade in gallon cans. It has worked for us over the years on whole rooftops of ductwork and other metal aplications.
Camping World installed my TV dome & cable using some magic white self leveling stuff. After it developed a leak I replaced it with Vulkhem.
My other coach received a white paint over the natural aluminum roof and it improved the heat reflection a great deal. I have plans to get my existing coach roof painted white in the future.