PDA

View Full Version : Hwy 64 East

Jamie Bradford
03-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I want to go to Outdoor Resorts in Lake Toxaway, NC this spring. Has anyone driven 64 east through NC? I have gone as far as Murphy , NC from Chattanooga and it was not too bad. The resort " does not recommend" using 64 coming from the west. If this is not a good route what is??

Thanks..........

Jamie:cool:

Steve Cooper
03-01-2009, 07:37 PM
I would recommend coming up from Seneca SC on 107. I came in to Cashiers on 64 from Highlands and it wasn't a lot of fun. Hot brakes and a long line of angry folks behind me. It might not even be a bad idea to unhook at the bottom of the mountain and drive the tow car up seperately. Definately do that going back down.
Folks from out west may give us flatlanders from the South a hard time but I'd rather be overly cautious than having a bent bus.
Nice place once you get there.
Enjoy.

truk4u
03-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Jamie,

I agree with Steve.. I did it in my 40' Marathon going to a Marathon rally in Lake Toxaway on 64 from Highlands and would never attempt it with a 45'. It was hard enough keeping the duals on the pavement with a 40. Since your coming from Choo Choo, it's a little further, but think about I40, I26, 280 and then 64 westbound. I came out of Lake Toxaway on 64 east and no problem.

sawdust_128
03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Highway 64 is a local route. You can end up with school buses and farm equipment. It also has several low overpasses but I think they are further east. Maybe closer to Mocksville.

here is a good alternate route. As several have already mentioned, I-40

Directions from Knoxville, T.N.:
I-40 East to Exit 27. Take Hwy 19A and 23 to Sylva. In Sylva, take Hwy 107 South to Cashiers. Turn left at the stoplight in Cashiers on Hwy 64. Continue approximately 12 miles to Lake Toxaway.

tomklau
03-08-2009, 03:18 PM
DO NOT take 64 east from Franklin to Toxaway! Trust me on this. Another option is I-26 Exit 40 (Airport exit) to NC-280 in Asheville, go through Brevard, then becomes US 64 to Toxaway. Only about 3 miles of curvey road. 280 will be 4 lane and 64/280 becomes two-lane south of Brevard. Note: 64 through Hendersonville can be congested and is a narrow two-lane most of the way to Brevard.

Karin Klause

Will Garner
03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Tom,

I am working on the signals on US 64 and US 25 through Hendersonville for the NCDOT. There is a project with a construction completion date of 9 May 2009. I come in after that date to install coordinated timing plans. Right now I have partial plans in on Four Seasons Blvd (US 64) from Duncan Hill Road East to the intersection before I-26.

I am positive I can make that stretch of US 64 better from a signal timing perspective and am looking forward to the challenge coming in the summer instead of some of the cold winter days we have recently experienced.

Stay Tuned for further developments.