PDA

View Full Version : Hello Americans

bluevost
03-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Hello Americans,..This is Paul Harvey,...Stand by for News!!!

Last night just before heading to bed Janet checked her e-mails and told me Paul Harvey died. Wow. Paul Harvey has been a part of my life for over 40 years. Maybe longer for some of you. I know it may sound silly, but I can't sleep. I've been laying in bed for hours thinking about his broadcasts, and how he has impacted me, you, and America. Maybe the greatest storyteller in American history.

I attended a conference where he was the key note speaker. 60 minutes went by in what seemed like 10. I spent much of my adult life driving around a sales territory in SoCal. AM 790 KABC, noon to 12:15 everyday, Paul and I had lunch together. KABC is also the local Dodger station. Spring training from Vero Beach preempted Paul. I hate spring training.

Janet and I wanted to win his Tournament of Roses. If Paul lived another 35 years we might have had a chance. The Rest of the Story airs weeknights at 7:00PM here. We would try to guess who the story was about before he announced it.

I don't think President Obama will have our flag at half staff for Pauls' passing, but he should. America lost a Great American.

Good Day,

Ken

Care to share you remembrances?

dale farley
03-01-2009, 08:20 AM
For many years, he was the best part of the radio day. He will be missed.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Ditto that. Always a joy to listen to because he was always "up".

jello_jeep
03-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Paul was a great, no nonsense common guy. I liked listening to him.

Another piece of America gone :mad:

I doubt barry will half mast his death either.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Good day:)

lewpopp
03-01-2009, 09:27 PM
No matter where I was each day I always hunted for him on a radio. Wasn't always sucessful, but when I was I was entertained.

garyde
03-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Before Limbaugh, Oreily, Hannity and all the rest of the talking heads, there were salt of the earth people like Paul Harvey. He reflected America in his stories and his own life. That era is gone and its sad.

Jerry Winchester
03-02-2009, 04:39 AM
Ken,

I had that same reaction when Rae read this to me yesterday. When I was a kid, we sat under the same Pecan tree everyday during the summer eating lunch and listening to Paul Harvey on WBAP 820 out of Fort Wiorth. We don't have many broadcasters like that left.

BrianE
03-02-2009, 05:06 AM
JDUB, You out playing in the sandbox again?

Yankee802
03-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Wow, hard to believe. I remember him on 1240 WSKI in Montpelier VT for many years, I LOVED 'The Rest of the Story'! He will be missed.

Jerry Winchester
03-02-2009, 02:10 PM
BE,

What gave me away? Paris this morning and Algiers now.

michaeldterry
03-02-2009, 02:36 PM
This is truly the end of an era. :( I don't remember a time in my life when Paul Harvey was not on the radio. I will miss his observations and homespun analysis of the topics of the day. Paul Harvey epitomized the goodness of America. If Paul Harvey said it - you could take it to the bank! The closest commentator we have left to Paul Harvey that I can compare (in substance, not style) is Tom Brokaw. If you haven't read Tom Brokaw's "The Greatest Generation", do yourself a favor - get it and read it!

Mr. Harvey - you will be missed! Good day!

Respectfully,
Michael Terry