PDA

View Full Version : Info on I-40 and I-17 ??

sawdust_128
02-25-2009, 11:40 PM
I am helping someone plan for a trip from the east coast to Phoenix. We seem to have things covered, but was looking for travel issues on the I-40 between Little Rock and I-17 south to Phoenix. Any info greatly appreciated.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-26-2009, 06:47 AM
We used 40 all the way to Pahrump, getting off just past Flagstaff.

Generally good road all the way with nothing standing out as noteworthy. Arkansas road quality is not the best, especially just west of Memphis.

We were on 17 about 18 years ago and all I remember was it was a long descent, but good road. If my memory is correct it was neat seeing the changes in vegetation as we descended out of the pines at the higher altitudes of Flagstaff.

One thing I have never done and is on my bucket list is to see the Grand Canyon from the ground. You go right by several campgrounds near the train to the canyon.

flyu2there
02-26-2009, 08:32 AM
I use I-17 all of the time, very heavily patrolled by the DPS (Arizona Highway Patrol) and very popular with truckers. Good road for the most part however depending on the way you are going its either a long climb or long decent and during the Winter months Flagstaff and environs are on the no-no list...........snow and ice. You can jump off 17 and take a side road through Sedona then jump back on 17...this one is slow and curvy but very scenic.

Going to the Canyon, I would advise the facility in Williams, West of Flagstaff by a few miles. Nice park/museum operated by the Grand Canyon Rail Road, always have some good deals on a train ride into the park, tours, lunch and a couple of nights in thier new facility in Williams. 50 amp, big alleys, all of the whistles and bells, including train whistles and bells............. Use a AAA card, FMCA although your library card will probably work.

Will Garner
02-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Hey wood chips,

Last June we went from Southern Pines to Phoenix via Nashville and OKC. Went I-40 from Mocksville west to I-17 down to Phoenix. We enjoyed it immensely. I will concur with Jon's assessment of I-40's condition going into Arkansas. It is/was in terrible shape. We also had an encounter with a road raging bobtailed tractor trailer driver. Not pretty.

The views on I-17 were priceless with all those big cactus plants. I'd tell you whaty they were but I can't spell it out.

Say hey to Cindi for us.

sawdust_128
02-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Cindy says Hi to all those she's met and those she's looking forward to meeting.

Thanks for all the G2 on I-40. Good to know. Is there any problem with icing after dark?

The person I am helping is driving a car and heading out of Raleigh tomorrow.

How about critters, any notable issues with deer this time of year?

I agree with all on I-17. Done that been there about 6-8 times myself, but never at this time of the year.

Sedona is an absolute must for any touring out there.

Jon, I'm with you. I have see the Grand Canyon about 40 times but never from less than 23,000 ft. It is on my list to stand at the edge and maybe even trek down into it. Maybe a river raft through it. POG trip?

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-27-2009, 12:49 AM
"Will Garner: The views on I-17 were priceless with all those big cactus plants. I'd tell you whaty they were but I can't spell it out."

There called "Saguaro Cactus" http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/saguaro/national_park.html
pronounced Soreorro. Indiginous to Arizona, and I believe the only place on the planet they grow, if anyone wanted to know? :D

Gary S.

flyu2there
02-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Guys,

Your spelling is spot on your pronunciation may need improvement:

SWA-HAR-OH The first a, boy this is a memory test, has a line over it
which makes it a little a...prounounced ah. So we have
squaw with out the q...SWA

Second syllable HAR. Harley without the ley or lee
as it sounds.

Third syllable...as we always prounounce it...

Put it all together and we have Saguaro, the giant cactus......:D

sawdust_128
02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Two things about the giants of the cacti:

1. If you want to see that part of the country where those cacti live, drive the scenic route known as the Apache trail. Fish Kill Creek, Roosevelt Dam and other such sites. See Jon, I do get out once in a while. The institution has decided that I am now eligible for 2-week passes.:eek: This is a spectular area right after the first spring rain. Not much compares with a desert in bloom.

2. These giant cacti have fallen prey to malicious shooters.:mad: However, one attained an ironic revenge, the shot-gunner was killed when his victim fell on him. I wonder if it was the weight or the massive accupuncture which provided the fatal insult?