PDA

View Full Version : Control Panels

Joe Cannarozzi
02-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Do you think that the House Control Panels we all have are custom made one off stuff done by the converters that they do in house or they outsource them?

Chalupa, Eddie I need a source here fellers.

The one that is mid ship contains all standard toggles and analog gauges and it is keeping with the vintage of the conversion. I have to decide how the additional one will be fitted and it will probably still have the same type switches but I want to upgrade to digital gauges.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Those panels may be special sizes or have special switch arrangements determined by the converter. The converters do not make the components other than the panel however. The breakers and gauges are off-the-shelf items.

If you want to remake your panel make yourself a full size layout using the opening size for switches and gauges specified by the manufacturer of those components. Any sheet metal shop with CNC punching equipment can make the panel for you inexpensively. You can hog out the cutouts yourself in an aluminum plate but it will look exactly like you hogged it out yourself.

If your panel is functional, has all the switches and gauges you need I question why you would want to redo it. Instead I would consider doing a good inspection of all components, making sure the terminals or connections are still tight and checking for signs of overheating or aging wire insulation.

A panel is reasonably simple, but what makes a panel a real professional product is the details such as silk screened graphics, back lit legends for the switches, and annunciator lights. That attention to detail is both expensive and requires a real eye for detail and design. Too often home made panels look exactly like home made panels.

Joe Cannarozzi
02-24-2009, 09:37 AM
I agree with you Jon.

I am not going to redo the one that we currently have, it will remain. It is mid ship and I want to add an additional one above the drivers seat where I can control and moniter everything while driving.

That back lit faceplate with marked illuminated switches is EXACTLY what I would like to find. Again we agree and I am afraid if I try to make it myself it will look it.

Our converter has incorporated a chase that runs on top of the OTR a/c duct the entire length of the bus drivers side. There is an 1-1/2 in plastic PVC pipe in there that USED TO be the drain coming from the toilet, that used to be in the closet behind the driver. It is perfect for all that wiring forward. There is also a waterline run up through there. If the bus did not already have a wet bar it could be a great place for it.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Joe are you talking about a new dash panel or what?
If not where would the new panel be?
What gauges and switches are you talking about adding?
Roughly what would the dimensions be?

My professionally done back lit touch panel of switches just went out and Liberty only wants $2500.00 for a new one. :rolleyes:

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Joe, here is a link to a good company. Answer my questions. I may have some ideas for you to make your own that will also look nice.

http://www.custominstrumentpanels.com/

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Joe, this might be more in line with what you are doing.

Give them the dimensions and shape and they will give you a quote.

Some of the samples/examples look real nice!

http://www.aplusmobilegraphics.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_17

JIM :) :p;)

Joe Cannarozzi
02-24-2009, 10:50 PM
I have been really busy all day thank you for the sources I haven't even had time to look at them.

Jim this is the panel back by the kitchen and it will remain.

This is where I want to put another above the drivers windshield. Both openings are very close to 18 by 18

Jon Wehrenberg
02-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Perhaps a more important question is what exactly do you want to control from the driver's seat that you cannot control now?

Or phrased even more pointedly, what is so important it requires you to control while driving?

I have the ability on my coach to control a lot of things from the driver seat, but they relate to what needs to happen up front. I can control the OTR, floor slide, door locks, front window shades (used as sun visors when driving) generator and Webasto and all the normal stuff like wipers and lights. I can also turn on any of the Cruise Airs and the outside patio lighting.

I cannot control any of the 120V circuits, nor can I think of any I need to control from the front seat. I cannot control interior lights such as the living room or tivoli lights.

So what do you want to control that you cannot right now? It might be as simple as adding a couple of switches instead of an entire control panel. That spot might be better utilized for stuff that I really like to know while I am driving such as the time, the outside and inside temperatures, tire pressures, magnetic heading, and maybe go wild and crazy and add various system voltages not displayed on the dash, air bag pressures, aux system pressure, and water system pressure.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Ditto what Jon said.

I think it will be unsafe for driving if you have to be looking up at gauges/meters as well as down at the dash, and across to the mirrors. (too much eye off the road time) (that works in an airplane, but not on the roadway)

I also think that if the new gauges and switches are for when parked and camping, that placement on the left is too far from the bus isle and very inconvenient.
Think about moving the tambour door left and putting the new panel right, if possible.

You didn't say what exactly you would have on the new panel, so I had to add these comments.

JIM

Joe Cannarozzi
02-25-2009, 10:12 AM
OK looks like I got the 2 panel Nazis here, but this is good stuff. These suggestions are coming from 2 guys that can start their gens and dump tanks from BED.

Jon right now I can control NOTHING from there. For starters all you said you can control would be nice. I also would like to be able to turn certain lighting on and off.

E-spar
Inverter
Generator
Crusair
Lighting

You would really be jealous if I put some suspension air pressures up there wouldn't you:rolleyes: It is a slick idea.

I have more than enough storage in that area already, I have no dash space for additional items. It will come when all else is finished. I have time to tweek the choices.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
You lost me Joe.

I said I can control Cruise Airs and Webasto from there. I did not say that I do while driving. I have OTR so I will stay warm or cool. But if it quits, I can start a generator and turn on a cruise air if I need to. Stuff like that comes under the heading of nice, but not essential

I seriously question why you want to control lighting from the driver's seat. I also question what you have to control on the inverters. They are either on or not, right?

A word about my ability to control the AC units. In order for me to operate them from the driver's seat I need to have the breakers "on". I also have to have each Cruise Air control "on". Mine are the SMX controls. I don't know if your vintage coach has those controls or the older style with the knobs. Only if the previous controls are set can I turn my Cruise Airs on or off from the driver's seat.

Panel Nazi, huh? I bring reason to insanity. I'm keeping you from becoming a victim of your own actions. Keep it simple.