PDA

View Full Version : Califorina Duster

LarryB
02-21-2009, 11:45 PM
We are parked with a bunch of motorhomes and fifthwheels that seem to be very clean and shiny. All the guys are using these dusters on an extension handle. They claim no screeches to the paint and no deposit of wax or residue on the paint. Anyone use these or have firsthand knowledge of them? How do they work on the stainless?

jello_jeep
02-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Hi Larry, we use one sometimes. When you first buy them, you have to let them sit on newspaper for a day or two to get the excess oil out of them, that helps.

They are nice once broken in. Stay away from windows.

Distilled water / vinegar is good on stainless too.

flyu2there
02-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Larry,

I use one all of the time, works great for airplane wings covered with hangar dust and stored cars...never tried it on the bus. As Warren said, they come dipped in some kind of oil, I just shoved the thing back in its pouch after the first use and occasionally shake it out, not supposed to be washed. The nastier the thing looks, the better it works. Probably would smear windows when brand new but once it has some "miles" you are good to go.

I think that as you rub it over a surface it creates static electricity and dust and pollen just jump into the fibers, you too will get an occasional zap :D
No matter what anyone says, remember that this thing only removes dust!

John

LarryB
02-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Warren and John, thanks for the replies. The duster looks like an easy way to keep the coach looking good. Takes the guy next door about 10min. to do his 40' motorhome.

Think I'll try it, however Murphy does live with me.

LarryB
02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
I found the great job the dusters were doing was preceded by the use of 'Solution' a Spray & Wipe product that seems to do a good job. Don't know the lasting effects of it.

Anyone with knowledge of this product? I was told it was developed by someone at the request of Prevost owners to deal with the stainless. Probably a BS story but, it sounded good.

flyu2there
02-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Larry

Sounds like snake oil! There was a guy that came around here, wearing really funny shoes, springs and things where the heels should have been, that sold me some polish, sprays, etc....turned out it too was snake oil. I have heard that he made it to a POG Rally or two....believe he called himself "Wipe Out Systems". So the dude has a bottle of stuff that is all doctored up that will polish a rusty bucket that he sprays on your coach..............trouble is, the stuff he sells you is lard and perfume, although the same color, wouldn't polish shiny silver. Rip Off!!!

The duster will remove dust and Georgia Pine Pollen (Hi Truk) but that's about it. As I mentioned, I don't use it one my bus, far too long of a reach....but it does keep dust, pollen and very minor surface issues at bay.

Best,

John

LarryB
02-25-2009, 05:57 PM
John, I know the stuff your are talking about, I think the Guy is the Mayor or Chief of Police of Yuma,:D, come in a yellow squeeze bottle. 'The Solution', that's the name, is a spray, made by Super Seal Specialty Co. Thousand Palms, Ca. Different "snake oil.

I'm always trying to get out of work!!

Kevin Erion
02-25-2009, 06:09 PM
If you guys want to make a group order from California Duster, I know the owner and a few employees. I might save you some Lew Bucks. They have a floor duster that comes with a pole, works good on the bus but for sure let it sit on news paper for a time to suck some of the extra paraffin wax out. They also told me to use it on a old dirty car a few times before the bus, again just another way to suck up some of the extra wax.

phorner
02-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Just as an aside, the mini-duster is real handy for the dash, control panel and the window ledges....

truk4u
02-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Fly Dude,

This might look familiar..... The two turd boys spend about 400 bucks apiece and still have product in stock to this day!:rolleyes: Notice JDUB scratching his gourd trying to figure out how the hell his bill came to 429.00!:o Then Mango caved and had to spend more than Jdub and knew he could get away with it because Donna hadn't got there yet...

flyu2there
02-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Truk, that's the guy! Little fire plug of a dude although when he hit me up he had one of those rattling Dodge diesels with Wipe Out Systems magnetic signs stuck on it, everywhere....Oregon plates. I don't see the shods with the springs on the bottom, I think he used them to run and they probably don't work too well on gravel. He doesn't come to Yuma any more, probably becuase the city declared Open Season on Winter Visitors who try to peddle their wares, without benefit of appropriate permits and the like.

I have three jars of the turquois stuff and two jars of the yellow stuff plus his handy dandy buffer pad that doesn't stick on my buffer for more than 30 seconds before it launches itself into low orbit and ends up 1/4 mile away!

Learned my lesson, now I use Zaino Bros for polish and cut 3m's Finesse-It with water for minor scratches and surface blems.

phorner
02-26-2009, 08:31 AM
FWIW I've been using the Wipe Out stuff for several years and have been happy with the results....

flyu2there
02-26-2009, 09:03 AM
If you guys want to make a group order from California Duster, I know the owner and a few employees. I might save you some Lew Bucks. They have a floor duster that comes with a pole, works good on the bus but for sure let it sit on news paper for a time to suck some of the extra paraffin wax out. They also told me to use it on a old dirty car a few times before the bus, again just another way to suck up some of the extra wax.

I would give the floor model a try..............
As mentioned, the hand held model works very well, mine is really nasty looking but still does the job!

John