PDA

View Full Version : New Interior Window Shades

hobobimmer
02-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm starting to do a little research on replacement window shades for our 92 Angola. Does anyone out there in POG land have suggestions as to where I start looking for products? Anyone have advice that will keep me from learning the hard way? Is there something about the shades in our bus that are different from regular window shades, or can I look at regular shades at regular stores and on the internet?

In an ideal world, I would like to find something that will provide some insulation from the cold at night, something for our rear bedroom windows only that will make it totally dark at night, something that has day/night option, and something that is manually controlled.

I'd appreciate any ideas or links you would like to share.

Thanks!
Deb

jelmore
02-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Deb, we have black out shades throughout and are pleased with that part. On our Liberty, the fabric part and top rail are normal Hunter Douglas. Liberty had someone besides Hunter Douglas convert them to electric.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Deb,

We are approaching the time to change also. Maybe we should do the research jointly.

Our shades like yours are manual and we want to stay that way. We also want to get some insulating value so the closed cell type is of interest. I do know we need high quality because skimping on that will haunt us. We have some great ones in our home that we got through Lowes which were fairly expensive, but work great, and we have some cheaper ones we got through Penneys and they suck.

I think we need the kind with the string, much as I would like the counterbalanced kind I think they would shake down while traveling. I would also like to hear ideas from others who have replaced theirs with MANUAL shades.

flyu2there
02-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Jon,

I was talking to Steve Bennett in Havasu about exactly the same thing. Aside from Hunter-Douglas he advised looking into MCD blinds. The MCD shades are designed for mobile operations while H-D are designed for homes and offices.

Looks to me like Hunter-Douglas, a complete replacement for a bus, could approach 10k for the electric, somewhat less for the manual.....that's the parts from a local (Drapery) supplier...oouch!

John

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Something else to consider would be the type called "Roman Shades", which are different than the typical duet or silouette style shades.

This type of Fabric covered shades would provide much more insulation at the window and complete black out when down. Lots of the newer buses use these at least in the bedroom if not throughout the bus.

Just an option.

Gary S.

rfoster
02-22-2009, 05:53 PM
When I traded into the the new to me XL2, one of the features I looked forward to getting were the insulated dual pane windows to help keep out cold and the heat in and flip that for summer time.

I suppose I was a bit spoiled by my previous coach cause the headboard of the bed blocked out the curbside windows completely and kept the heat in and the cold out around the head of the bed.

But now When the slides are in the open position and your bed is east to west this means your head is sticking out of the tent. I feel some good blinds plus some "roman" type shades, or a heavy duty type material may help offset this. Of course this is when the temp was sub freezing-- and we stayed toasty warm with heated floors plus the hurricane diesel fired heat.

However when your head is surrounded by glass and it is 10 degrees or less outdoors-- well you need a hat or good bed warmer. And no I don't wear a hat to bed!

Keep us posted on progress of a more positive temperature controlling shade, I would be a good prospect for the bedroom.

In the summer time the huge windows should offer some great cross ventilation but I haven't experienced that yet.

garyde
02-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Hi Roger. My Coach has a Fabric Headboard which is Velcroed to the side frames of the Window. This blocks cool air in the winter months. In the summer, I take it off and open the windows on both sides. A Headboard could be your solution.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Here you go Roger, follow this link to the best thing you could ever get for $3.50.
Second row, center. Many uses, from bed to cold windy car auction lot.

Everyone that works on their bus needs one of these to keep you from cussing.

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/hard-hat-liners.html?gclid=CKCwyJrm8pgCFRHBDAod_2pA1w

JIM

rfoster
02-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Gary De: Thanks for the suggestion. Was that a Liberty installed feature or did you add it?

I will see what I can come up with that meets the approval of the Ms. if you know what I mean.
\
JimC: Thanks, but no thanks. I may just have to try a different "night Cap". A little higher proof maybe.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Roger, not entirely sure but I think my headboard (your old) is fastened with velcro too.

When I pull on it I heard a ripping sound :eek: and then stopped. I don't have time to check it now, but that sure would be a sensible way to attach it.

Making cleaning and replacement easy.

Liberty does seem to go the extra mile up front to make life easier!

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
We currently have the Hunter Douglas, Vignette shades. I like them a lot, but they need a little spiffing up.

Their brochure calls for sonic cleaning if spiffing up is a goal.

Has anyone used this method of cleaning. I have not heard of it for uses outside of industrial.

What were the results. What I mean is was it worth all the effort and expense, and how did they look after?
In my book the removal and replacement is no small task. If they won't look perfect when reinstalled I would rather replace with new.

I would rather work on shocks, filters and brake chambers.

Here is a link to H D they are having a $200.00 rebate per window, 10 max..

http://www.hunterdouglas.com/our-products-detail.jsp?id=4#/SP/

garyde
02-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Roger, the Headboard is a Liberty design , and Jim it does sound like tearing as you pull on the Velcro attached headboard. Also, I think that Frontier Patriot hat would look good on you Roger.

Jeff Bayley
07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
I like to try to find existing threads when I can instead of starting a new one so I found this to thread to post.

First, before the widow treatment subject, I'm in Elkhart to see Phoenix Royal for a few things. I had someone tell me about Zip Dee based in Chicago just before I left there before and was able to get some broken locks fixed and lube, PM, retension the awnings. Real inexpensive. But I didn't know they were there and it was just luck someone mentioned it. I've been to Elkhart once before and know this is RV Meca but there are probably other things bases here that I could get maintainance done on. Anything jump out at anyone that I should know about ? I might go see Universal Blinds which I think is around here. Got a wood worker picked out 100 miles south of here unless someone has one to recommend. Need to get a work station build in place of one of the couches. I know there's an authorized Trace repair dealer here but I'm ok there. Just checking on what else might be around to take advantage of. Maybe there's a list / directory someone knows of that lists all the RV related things here (probably a long list). I'm stopping at Westerhaven (Gen Con) in MD eventually to get the Auto Start fixed if they're able and also at Glendinning Marine Products in SC to get a proper 50 amp end vulcanized to the the shore cord where I've mended it for now with screw on male end. I sure would just like to make this a maintainence run and tend to stuff if I'm going right past it or any custom shops that can be recommended.

Regarding the window treatment, I bought this aluminum radiant barrier (photos below) at Vegas Trailer Supply a few years back in person. They sold it by the foot off a big roll. I just got enough to cut some pieces for the front windshields. I had electric shades already but when the sun is intense those black shades were absorbing and radiating heat like mad. This product works great to go against the window first before putting the shades down on occasion when your parked facing the sun.

I want to buy a whole roll of this to cut pieces for the all the windows when the bus in storage. Does anyone know where I could track this down. I'm sure I can get it for less than half of what I paid at the trailer supply place if I find the manufacture or another non RV dealer of the product. This stuff would be great to get and knife up at the POG rally for owners that want it for the front. It folds up pleaded and doesn't take up any room. I can use a whole roll or two since I have the unfortunate pleasure of owning two buses and one of them is sitting mostly.

tdelorme
07-19-2010, 05:15 PM
The product is called Reflectixincs and Lowe's had it the last time I needed a roll. http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?pageIndex=729#ReflectiveInsulations

ken&ellen
07-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Our day/night shades were installed by Marathon in 2003. Due to lay offs at Marathon we were unable to get information about replacements. We called the manufacturer and they were less than helpfull. We went to LOWES and they custom cut day/night shades that worked perfectly. Two shades for our bedroom for less than $200. Great looking and very dark. Ken & Ellen

tpr
07-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Jeff,
Panterra Coach is in Angola Indiana not far from where you are. They do repairs and remodels and can fabricate a work station for you. They also are a sponser, you might want to give them a call.

Jeff Bayley
07-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll check Lowes for the Reflectixinc product. Thanks Ted. I'll see if someone can take a look at the blinds. Ours are all in good shape but Royal put them a really light shade in this coach and they don't block out the light well at all. I think Universal Blind is around here that makes them for many coach manufactures. I should stop by Pantara all right as long as I'm so close. I went to them before when they were American with my Angola. Pretty good bunch. This is the place to try to get as much maintainence out of the way as possible. I just don't want to leave and realize I was right there for something. My punch list is all pretty minor but long.