PDA

View Full Version : Just curious... Series 60

Tully
02-21-2009, 12:57 AM
Would a Series 60 fit into a 1990 Prevost? Just curious.

My engine is running great and zero issues. Always hear about the Million Mile Series 60 motor. If an engine went bad in a older vintage mid- 80's to mid' 90's, could the Series 60 be an option?

I was talking to a friend of mine who works on diesels. He said if you engine ever bites the dust, he would repalce with a Series 60. I asked if that were even possible. He said that it would fit right in? I am certain there would be more to it than that?

Tully

Steve Bennett
02-21-2009, 11:27 AM
My understanding is that the Series 60 engine is to tall. I have been told that the Caterpillar C-12 engine will fit. The 8V's are good strong engines, but must be cared for. We recommend that they not be allowed to see temps over 210 degrees, also the right oil is important. Make sure you run straight 40 or 50 wt. We prefer either the Detroit 2 cycle oil, or Delo 100.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-22-2009, 08:08 AM
The series 60 installation was delayed due to the length. Height may have been a consideration, but that impact would be on the converter. The Prevost issue is the room between the back doors and the differential. Until the "World Transmission" (the six speed) became available Prevost was stuck with the 8V92. The shorter length of the six speed was the key to getting the series 60 to fit in the 40 foot coaches.

That is why the series 60 was introduced in the 45s prior to the 40s and why the early 45s had the 5 speed transmission. They could make that combination work because of the 18" a 45 foot motorhome shell has behind the tag axle.