PDA

View Full Version : Circulating Pumps

Joe Cannarozzi
02-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know what Webasto gets for one of their external 24 volt circulating pumps? Do you think a 12 volt model would be much different?

E-spar wants 350 for a 24 volt and I thought that was a little much.

Kenneth Brewer
02-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Does anyone know what Webasto gets for one of their external 24 volt circulating pumps? Do you think a 12 volt model would be much different?

E-spar wants 350 for a 24 volt and I thought that was a little much.

When we purchased our H3, the circulating pump screamed like a banshee, and I put it on the punchlist. While I wish I could remember the exact price, I am pretty sure I was told a figure on the north side of $1400-1500. Liberty took care of it, and the new pump is quiet. You can hear a faint whine, not objectionable and barely detectable, in my opinion, or my wife's. Much better and no louder than electric toeboard heaters. We can hear the Webasto furnace (better than an LPG heater/blower) over it.

Good luck.

Darrell and Linda
02-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Joe, Its important to match the flow of the pump. 12v vs 24v can make the difference in motor rpm which is in direct relation to the pump output. 24 volt, I expect would be expensive.

I replaced my 120v booster pump for my generator coolant @ the rad and it cost me about $650. Not much difference in the cost and flow of a 12v.... so, I stayed with the recommended converter (engineered replacement) 120v model - 21 gpm. But I did check around for a more affordable match but was unsuccessful.

It's a sad day when we think $350 is reasonable eh.......

Joe Cannarozzi
02-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Agreed. There is a couple of ways I can do it our house has both 24 and 12 volt battery banks. When running on batteries and on auto start the lions share of the draw is on the 24, both the e-spar and inverter.

I have very little on the 12 volt side. The way it is now the 24 volt side drops way quicker. I thought if I put a 12 volt circulating pump and gave it its own power and switch I could go longer between auto start cycles. The auto start is triggered by the voltage on the 24 volt bank house batteries.

Having a propane fridge affords us the benefit of only needing 1 2500 watt inverter. It was not on line when we got the bus and I bought a 1200w 12volt model for 100 bucks at Pep-Boys and accept for the microwave it handles everything else for us.

I hard wired it and now that I have our 24 volt Heart back on line I left it in for a back-up. I can also play with the choice of inverters, possibly lengthening the auto-start cycle additionally, when boon-docking and the 24volt e-spar is required.

Darrell and Linda
02-21-2009, 01:04 AM
Joe, interesting, how would you guarantee that the circulating pump would auto start (on the 12v battery bank) when the webasto started - or would the pump be juiced from your 24v battery bank? The amperage would be different for the requirement of the 12v pump motor if feed from the 24 volt bank...... I guess I'm missing something here,...it's getting late.

I haven't had a chance to explore up in the subfloor and take a close look at my webasto booster (circulating) pumps, I think there is four of them, but I thought mine were on a 12v circuit....... maybe they are 24 volt, the same as the webasto system. That makes sense now.

dreamchasers
02-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Joe,

I recently purchased a 12 V Wabasto circulating pump from March Pumps for around $300.00. (I can see another pump, I think is was supplied by Prevost, that circulates the hot water for the dash heater mounted in the front of the coach. I think it is 24 volts.)

The pumps were pricey, but they are magnetically coupled (no seal leaks to worry about) and come with a brass pump housing. The pump is a very high quality pump. Click on the link below, go to post #9.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=3081

When I soke with the March Pump tech rep, he stated that they do sell 12 or 24 volt models.

The March Pumps website (http://www.marchpump.com/)has plenty of data.

Hopes this helps.

Hector

02-21-2009, 08:13 AM
I replaced mine 24V pump at Prevost Car, and it cost $436 plus time to replace.

Joe Cannarozzi
02-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks guys.

Darrell on our e-spar and most webastos the circulating pumps are constantly running, they do not cycle with the burner. I would simply give it a dedicated circuit and switch off the 12 volt bank, turn it on and let it run.

Looks like they are all around 400 bucks. Ken what did you buy for 1400:confused:

Hector I too have that emergency booster pump installed by prevo, I've never tried ours has anyone?

Darrell and Linda
02-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Joe, Ok that all makes sense now. I have lots to figure out when I get my coach out of storage...... can't wait.

Kenneth Brewer
02-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Joe,

I guess I heard wrong, and I won't (will try not to) again open my mouth on something I can only faintly recall. My apologies. We flew in to pick up the coach, Liberty replaced the (new) circulating pump, no questions, when they heard it, but they had to order it, so we had to return to have it installed. It was quickly done, but it required draining the system, partially or totally, accessing what they had to underneath and through the left rear electrical compartment, refilling the system, and getting the air out. Sorry for the misinformation.

dreamchasers
02-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Joe,

I located my diagram of my hydronic heating system. I have attached it for you.

My system has two pumps that circulate all the time. Only one is piped through the Wabasto. The other circulates water through the coach.

http://www.dreamchasers.us/pog/hydronic.pdf

FYI

Hector