PDA

View Full Version : 03 Escalade

Jamie Bradford
02-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Any thoughts on making an 03 Escalade my "Toad"

I think the GVW is about 7k??

Thanks Guys & Gals------------------;);)

Jamie:cool:

merle&louise
02-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Jamie,

I'm not sure but I think you will have to add a driveshaft disconnect to your Escalade. I had a Remco driveshaft disconnect on a Ford Explorer and it worked great. You may want to consider a rock shield for the toad. The paint on the hood can be ruined quickly (I know, my Honda Pilot is ruined in just 3 years of towing).

I think Roadmaster makes a good tow bar; be sure to get the heavy duty one. Towing is a snap.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Jamie, I think your good to go, but I can't prove it.

If it is 4x4 and you can put the transfer case in neutral, you are home free.

I think it is like the Hummer and Avalanche. There is a knob to turn to position and your ready to be towed.

I believe the new one is all wheel drive and can not be towed.

Look at the owners manual, that always has the definitive answer.

JIM

Coloradobus
02-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Jamie,
Newer Escalades are considered ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE (AWD), they require a Lube Pump. I don't remember how far in years to go back. I know older Es-Caddies ( 1999 an older) were towable.
WE just completed 4,071 miles travelling 13 states towing the Lexus LX-470. No towing issues, the hydraulic suspension kept its level thru out the day, using the Valet Key unlocking the steering (keeping it in the very first position like you were removing key) didn't drain the battery.
One issue cropped up with the Bllue Ox towshield we have been using for years. The Blue Ox baseplate is so neat and tucked under the front the vehicle, that put the towshield candlestick holders closer too the bumper. As the coach rearend rocked up and down going thru intersections, etc, the towbar mounted towshield rocked back and forth. This rocking caused the candlesticks to take a small bite out of the car's front bumper paint. Bending the candlestick holders down below parrellel with the towbar makes the shield and candlesticks tip forward allowing the shield to rock back and forth without biting the car. Off to Lexus for touchup paint.:(

Jamie Bradford
03-30-2009, 09:44 AM
I went to Camping World and got the following quote:

Tow Bars for Escalade $ 459.99 Labor $213.30

Lube Pump Front Wheel LP-1 $ 879.99 Labor $ 517.50

Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Tow Bar $ 869.99

Blackhawk Accessory kit $ 329.99 Labor $ 153.00

Brakemaster $ 799.99 Labor $ 165.00

2 Year protection $ 149.99

Total Parts $ 3489.94 Labor $ 1048.80

Grand Total $ 4538.74

Is this in line with what other people have had to spend???

Brakemaster? I feel I DO NEED IT -- Should I trust Camping World to tie into the bus air system to install this??

Thanks

Jamie

rfoster
03-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Jamie: That sounds like a lot of lewbucks. Some one on the forum doesn't worry with a toad. They just rent a car when they get to their destination. Not a bad idea.

flyu2there
03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Enterprise is a good alternative. They have coupons all over the internet, they pick you up and drop you off, almost anywhere. Weekend specials seem to run about 25.00 Friday to Monday...........

I guess it depends on where you are going and how much junk you carry in your toad.....

Kenneth Brewer
03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Jamie,

That is probably in line with what they have to others. It's about what they quoted me for our Cherokee (about a thousand less, but you are getting bit equipment. They should have liability and responsibility for the installation - I would think. For the Escalade, the weight approaches the upper limit, I would just make sure the towbar is the heaviest (highest load rated) available. If we do the same thing, I think I will get the wireless backup/stop/turn signal lights so there would be no more drain on the battery than the stoplights.

merle&louise
03-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Jamie,

I had Camping World install a Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar on my 2005 Honda Pilot and it ran about $2100. $1400 for the tow bar and the part that mounts to the car. It took 8 hours for them to install the bar that is mounted to the car. They had to remove the entire front of the car to get to the chassis. The Honda did not require a driveshaft disconnect or lube pump (just put in neutral and go) so that saved me some Lewbucks. I also do not have any braking system installed on the toad. The Pilot is so small and light I don't have any trouble stopping like I did when I towed a GMC Yukon.

You might consider towing a smaller car. Just a thought!

Jon Wehrenberg
03-30-2009, 06:34 PM
I feel like the poor part of the family.

I cannot believe you guys actually consider those prices.

I have the Roadmaster tow bar on the Ram 1500. I think I paid $500 for it back when the dollar was worth something. I designed and welded my own brackets which attach to the frame. Price for the brackets was nothing because I used scrap steel. I did spend a couple of hours welding.

Since the Hummer is Di's vehicle I decided to spare no expense. So i bought the Roadmaster All Terrain tow bar which was a little pricey. At the time it was around $700 I think. Then I went crazy and spent a few more hundred on the base brackets which I installed myself in about 1.5 hours, and then threw caution to the wind and bought the Brakemaster for ????$500??? and spent another few hours to run the air lines on the bus and the Hummer.

I was so happy with the brake thingy I got a kit and added the capability to use it on the pickup also.

I don't think I have $1500 to $2000 in two vehicles. And I think that is nuts. Next tow vehicle I'm making my own brackets again. Tow bars last forever so I'm done spending money. I see a business opportunity here selling tow stuff. Camping World is making a killing. BTW, I bought my stuff on line waaaay cheaper than Camping World.

Installing this stuff is easy.

Joe Cannarozzi
03-30-2009, 06:53 PM
The way the frame rails are on a Dodge pu are it is easy to work with. I built both the tow bar and the brackets. All from garage supply. It does not fold but it is WAY stronger than anything you can buy. It has a 2&5/16 tongue/ball.

Jamie Bradford
03-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I think I may stick to my bicycles & rent a car as needed...........:rolleyes:

I agree with Jon in that CW is treating me like a drunk date.........:p

Danss
03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Go to this site and check it out. I purchased my Blue Ox tow bar for $200 from someone in Pa. Then go to Blue Ox site and by the Bracket package and have someone install. Save MEGA BUCKS! Dan

http://www.hitchtrader.com/SearchAds.cfm?ctg=4&submit=Search

lewpopp
03-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Come on, you guys. This just a poor little rich kid with a Cadillac trying to stimulate the economy. Did you get the quick release deframasis for the port shots? You'd better check it out.

Camping world ups their prices at least 20% and then give you club members 10% off. They had me for a long time and believe it or not I wised up.

BrianE
03-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Jamie, We all seem to learn our lesson about CW. Big company, mostly nice folks but overpriced and (IMHO) very little expertise in their shops. Suggest you consider a local trailer hitch installer whose only business is installing hitches, towbars, brake systems, and related stuff. Try the yellow pages or you might call:
Mikes Trailer Hitches
Riverdale, GA
770-472-3777
Mike is also an M&G Brake Systems authorized installer. Take a look at their website: http://www.m-gengineering.com. This system has some significant advantages over pedal push systems such as Brake Master. Good luck.

garyde
03-30-2009, 10:44 PM
The Lexa Country Coach I had before my Liberty, I purchased from a guy who had a blue ox tow bar for the Coach. He woulldn't sale me the Tow bar, who knows why. Anyway, I'm thinking there's probably a lot of that kind of stuff on e-bay. If I were to tow, I would want something simple , and not heavy.
I rent cars as needed since we usually travel to a destination rather than touring.

Petervs
03-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Man you can buy an entire vehicle for the cost of all that gear to tow a big heavy vehicle.

My original approach was to tow a small car, that way you do not need brakes for it , it should be manual transmission so you don't need a drive line disconnect. I bought my Roadmaster tow bar and all the brackets for the car for a total of about $500.

I towed a Golf until recently when I accidentally left it in first gear. Oops. It weighed 2600 pounds. was perfect for getting around while traveling, and in a pinch could haul 4 people even.

That is why I think tow cars should be semi-disposable. Then you don't get too worried about hood dings, etc.

Jamie Bradford
03-31-2009, 04:01 PM
Lew,

I would like to thank you for your gracious reply. Having never met , I am very impressed with how intuitive you think you are.

I hope that the warmer weather will send your disposition into a more positive direction.

Have a great day!!!:)

Jamie

Jon Wehrenberg
03-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Jamie.......see my PM to you.

lewpopp
03-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks, Jamie, I consider your comment as a compliment considering the other retorts in the past.

I'm on my way back to being a land lubber. Too old to cut the mustard, but not yet too old to lick the jar.