PDA

View Full Version : Great Danes

Jamie Bradford
02-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Dear & I have two Great Danes and have been "cautious" about them becoming "Bus Dogs". Any input would be " Great "???

jasperjr
02-17-2009, 12:13 AM
This is my wife and my first prevost 2003 (Millenniumm) XLII w/tri-axle trailer.

As understandable, the learning curve on the ride is a work in progress. The more you use it the more you will feel comfortable. We have two beautiful bullmastiffs and although they are large, they are wonderful companions. Our youngest (just turned a year) is still a little terror! Fortuantely, the older one seems to keep him in check.

They really like heading out on the road. I wouldn't be afraid. As long as you can control them and they are balanced animals you will be fine.

Good Luck,

Jasper & Laura

Jon Wehrenberg
02-17-2009, 07:42 AM
For about 15 years we brought our miniature schnauzer with us on every trip. I know we can't compare a 23 pound dog with great danes, but there are factors to consider.

We do not bring our two pups with us since our schnauzer passed away. This was not an easy decision, but we think it is the right one.

First, no matter where we were our schedule had to in some way consider the dog. We couldn't be away for a long time because we always worried about walking him or feeding him. Early on we were in a campground on a very hot day. We left just as the sun was starting to heat things up, but we left the AC units on. When we got back someone had turned the breaker off and the AC units were off, the coach was hot and our pup was panting. It turned out the campground was doing some maintenance, turned off the breakers and forgot to turn them on. We were always uncomfortable leaving our dog alone for a day after that incident. That was before auto-start.

If the dogs bark that poses a problem in a campground. Fortunately our little pup was very quiet unless someone pressed their nose to the windshield at which point he would go nuts. One of our dogs we have now is a yapper and he would be barking constantly so that is one reason we do not bring our dogs. We live in an isolated setting now so there is no reason for us to train the pup to stop barking at anything that moves such as squirrels. In a campground he would yap as soon as he heard a noise or saw something move.

When traveling it was always a pain walking the dog in rest areas when it was raining. We had a choice of cleaning and drying his feet when he came in the coach or having the carpet tracked with mud. Part of the problem is a lot of our travels were in the northeast where the weather was not as good as down south. That seems less of a problem where we live now, but it would still occasionally be a problem.

As much as we love our dogs we have come to enjoy the freedom we have without them when we travel. I especially like not having to pick up poop.

Joe Cannarozzi
02-17-2009, 09:22 AM
One of our dogs likes to sit up in the drivers seat with his front paws on the horn.

We had 3 dogs when we bought our bus so we have to deal with that but as they pass on we will not be replacing them.

I agree with everything Jon said accept leaving them behind.

We have a pet crab, Nemo. No barking, dirty paws or poop bags, he travels well.

Petervs
02-17-2009, 06:33 PM
I met a fellow who travelled with a dog at a bus rally once. He was in a building at a meeting and his dog put his paw on the parking brake release button. The bus rolled backwards into a pole. Smashed the bumper into the engine. he was not happy.

I vote no dogs. Not on the bus, not at home.

lewpopp
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
We have a couple here that has 2 Great Danes. The gal is very slightly built and has all she can handle with all being normal. If there should be an exciting time in the area, I doubt she'd be able to hold them. She'd end up being a brush burn and a scab in a day or so.

As for traveling with Casey. He has learned to drive(at least you can't tell who the whitehaired person is behind the wheel). He can cross his legs if necessary and we originally were going to name him either "Timex" or "Rolex" because he is perfect "watchdog".

Jon Wehrenberg
02-18-2009, 07:12 AM
Casey the bus driver.........Notice how careful he is. He is looking before backing up.

bonhall41
02-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Lew and Kathy,
Your Casey looks like our Casey (unless you check underneath) but ours hasn't learned to drive the bus yet. She does like to travel though and she's worth the little effort it is to take care of her on the road.
However, she's getting on in years and won't be replaced. Of course, we always say that. Hope to meet yours someday soon.

Bonnie