PDA

View Full Version : Owners Manual for 2000 Vantare

grantracy
02-16-2009, 08:24 AM
I asked this once before without luck,so I thought I would try again. Does anyone happen to have or know where I can get an owners manual( converter) for a 2000 Featherlite/Vantare XL? I have checked with Vantare with no luck. Apparently they don't archive old manuals.

jelmore
02-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Granvil, did you check with Parliament that was in Titusville? Rick and Ken both have some deep roots with Vogue/Featherlite and Harvey Mitchell who may have built that coach is at (owns?) Parliament (I think I have that family tree right).

grantracy
02-16-2009, 09:55 AM
I will do that, I think they actually have a 1999 for sale. I planned on reaching out to them regardless for some work I am considering. Thanks.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Gran,

All converters essentially are assemblers. If you need to amass the stuff for a service manual the best place to start is likely on-line where you can access PDF files for most of the components such as AC units, Headhunter pumps and level indicators, and all the appliances and devices.

The Prevost chassis is well documented and 100% accessible on line.

Where we all fall short is in details. Even though I have a Liberty manual and wiring diagrams and wire size and number information, I lack the "neat to know" stuff like if there are extra wires or cables, what some of the hidden electronic devices are, and how-to instructions relating to trouble shooting and repair. So far with both of my Libertys whenever something quit working it was with a component or device and not related to the Liberty wiring or plumbing. So when something stops working, I don't chase wires, except to check a fuse or circuit breaker. If they are OK, I don't need to know where the wires were routed I just need to know if my widget broke. As far as the hidden stuff like extra wires or plumbing for devices not installed I haven't a clue, and don't worry about stuff like that until I want to change my B/W monitor to color.

That stuff is unlikely available and can only be accessed with conversations with the techs. It's one of those things where you don't even know what you don't know.

grantracy
02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
what you are saying makes sense,however some of the things that are converter specific,plumbing for example, would be nice to know.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Gran,

I ended up making sketches. One of the things I did when I got each coach was to poke around under panels, behind panels, behind access doors, and generally any place I could get access to be removing a panel or opening a door. I took the backs or bottoms from sink cabinets and went so far as to pull the refrigerator.

I found filters for my AC system, I found shut off valves and I saw where things were routed. I found out where the heat exchangers were for my Webasto and I located duplex outlets aparently used when the coach has a different configuration.

One of the things was the Webasto that took a while, but I was able to trace its pipes and locate its valves. It is a pain in the butt to do what I did, but I at least know what is where.

My water system was studied in the same manner. I started at the inlet and followed where each pipe went and made sure I understood where the valves were and what they did. Even though I did that I still did not fully understand the system until I had to do some work on it. It was made easier by having a little knowledge. When I figured it all out I actually made some changes including adding a back up water pump, relocating some things so service is easier and adding some shut off valves.

Pick a rainy day, park the bus in the hangar, make sure the fridge has some cold beers, have a good trouble light or flashlight, have available a collection of screw drivers with various bits and just pick a system and follow it through. Make notes on what you see and just keep them handy. I'm pretty sure the only alternative is to find a Vantare plumbing tech that will sketch it all out for you. In these times with jobs being hard to keep and harder to find that might not be difficult to do.

grantracy
02-16-2009, 06:02 PM
what you are saying makes sense(at least the cold beer part)...the back up water pump is especially intriguing because this is the thing I keep expecting to fail. I have tried just using city water with the pump off and could not get it to work. Where did you mount the pump? is it a twin to the principal pump?

Jon Wehrenberg
02-16-2009, 08:11 PM
In my vintage Liberty I have a heavy duty DC motor driven pump. The thing is big and very strong. But if it pukes I'm screwed. I can use city water, but my bus water system functions best with the pump they installed.

If our pump fails we are stuck with using public restrooms when we travel and that ain't gonna happen so I got a 24 volt pump Shurflo brand with a built in pressure switch that happens to be set at my bus system pressure set point. It lacks the volume of flow, but it will pressurize our system which has an expansion tank. The expansion tank allows us to use a relatively low flow pump, and still get a good flow for toilet flushing.

I just paralleled the Liberty pump with the back up and gave it its own circuit. I installed ball valves to isolate it.

Not pretty, but functional. here are the pictures.