PDA

View Full Version : Entrance Door Window/Frame

stevet903
02-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Well, I had a small issue at the garage where I am storing the bus. Some maggots broke in and trashed the place, stole some cars and broke into the bus. Luckily, they only broke the drivers sliding window and the entrance door windows, and didn't take anything from inside save for a mag light and my favorite Snap-On ratcheting screw driver. The door window frame is dented enough to replace, however Prevost has no stock and has no ETA if/when they are going to be produced. Anyone know of an XL 40 being salvaged with a good window or maybe a lead on a company that originally made them?

I should have gone to Florida and avoided this whole mess....

Thanks Steve

Jerry Winchester
02-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Man that just sucks. Did you ask Prevost if they knew of anyone parting one out?

Jeff Baylee has enough coaches he should probably start parting one of them out, but with all the burned Libertys out there you have to think there is a decent door frame around.

stevet903
02-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Yep, I called some of the usual suspects, Nimco, Jefferson, US Coach, couple of local companies still running XLs, and came up dry. Called New Jersey and Tennessee, they didn't know of any salvage candidates, and they were like "bring it in and we'll take a look at it and see if we can straighten it out...." Since I'm outside of Boston, it's a long cold ride....

Joe Cannarozzi
02-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Send it to Dalej he will straighten it better than new.

garyde
02-09-2009, 08:43 PM
I remeber Lew had his Driver's window replaced which were fogging up between the glass with solid 1/4 glass I believe. Check out that thread.

Jamie Bradford
02-09-2009, 08:46 PM
That SUCKS!!!

Where was the bus???

lewpopp
02-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Stevet,

I had a couple fogged windows replaced but I believe you said the frame was bent. Is that the problem? I would guess there is a way to straighten it out prior to replacing the window glass. Have a glass company make the replacement windows and you'll save many Lewbucks over the cost of Prevost glass.

As a note here, I have had those windows in for nearly 2 years now and not a bit of cloudiness yet. In the Prevost glass, cloudiness appeared in a years time.

stevet903
02-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Jamie - I rented a bay in a garage building for a couple of months to do some work while the weather was cold. Bus was inside, and locked.

Lew - the frame is dented in a number of places on the outside, and the inside frame has a 3/8" cut in it, apparently from the axe they used to smash the window. It would be easier to replace than to fix, if I could find a frame. Was the glass company able to make a double pane glass to fit? Was it an auto glass company? Prevost wants about $300 each for the windows...

As a side note, Prevost builds a strong bus - they tried to open it by using a 24" pry bar by the door lock. They put a small dent in the skin, and quit when they broke the handle off the pry bar. They figured out that breaking the window and reaching in and unlocking it from the inside was faster...

Joe Cannarozzi
02-10-2009, 05:14 AM
Hey Ed this fellow whodo sure has put together a complete listing hu:eek:

Bet that took some time.

Steve Bennett
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Try Peninsula Glass in Vancouver, Washington. They will build a new window, and frame. My understanding is that it will be single pane, not dual as there is not enough width for their assembly. The best course of action may be to remove the existing frame, and send it to them. It will be about a 10 day turn around. They build the best conventional RV windows in the business, and I am certain they can help you out. I believe that Brian E. had their windows installed in the entry door & drivers side of their previous coach ( now Truck4U's).

truk4u
02-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Yep, I have the single windows that Brian had done and they are great.

lewpopp
02-10-2009, 09:57 PM
The two windows I had replaced were replaced with double pane auto rated glass. The same rated glass as the original so they said. I can see the spacer in mine. Wish they had made the spacer out of black material instead of aluminum color.