PDA

View Full Version : Backup Camera/Navigation System Upgrade

02-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Has anyone upgraded their (Marathon) color backup camera/Info center system with a new one maybe with built in navigation/mapping GPS etc.

I would be interested in knowing what the options are out there.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-09-2009, 11:38 AM
I know that JDUB upgraded his dash system with GPS and camera when he first got his Marathon bus. I sent him to a friend of mine, to do the install here in Houston and I am pretty sure JDUB was very happy with the job Brad did.

I don't remember the specifics of what he had put in, but maybe JDUB will be on line later and can tell you exactly what he got? You might want to PM JDUB for specifics?

Gary S.

Jerry Winchester
02-09-2009, 11:44 AM
http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=1920&highlight=kenwood

Everything you wanted to know.

JDUB

02-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks Gary, I will ask Jdub, for details, I know it isn't cheap but would be interested for our summer trip.

BrianE
02-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Bruce, I recently installed a later version of the unit JDUB has in his bus. It is truly an amazing unit that interfaces any input you could want to add. Ours includes, GPS (kenwood uses Garmin hardware and software components), XM/Sirius Radio, a very slick Bluetooth telephone interface, Ipod interface, AM/FM radio with an AM that actually works, backup cam, and all kinds of audio and video options including TV. The unit should fit into any backup camera location and has a 7" diagonal touch screen. http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/eXcelon/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/DNX8120

02-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks Brian. How easy is it to install. I have a set of values and images that refer to Marathon readouts of temps, battery condition, genset, fresh water sewer and of course the backup camera etc. Can this unit interface with each onboard readout??

BrianE
02-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Bruce, Got me. Maybe Marathon uses a single video input for their data however that's probably too simple to hope for. There is room for two video inputs plus backup camera in the unit. Sounds like a call to a Marathon techwhiz is in order.

The worst part of the upgrade was removing an old Alpine nav unit with a wire bundle the size of your wrist from our Royale. The installation instructions for the Kenwood were very complete and it took me a full day to make the install. Would guess it would take a trained RV stereo guy an hour or two. One thing to consider is that a GPS antenna and an XM antenna need to be installed on the roof and the coax's run down to the unit. The access holes that Prevost provides around the windshield were good at the outer edges but very minimal through the centerpost. If you're serious about making the install yourself we need to chat on the phone. There are a couple of tips that might help which I learned the hard way. Obviously every coach is going to have its own challenges. :eek:

02-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I have already had the privilege of spending some time behind the dash and also chasing after a bad CB antenna install that was made, not easy, would really like the extra advise when i get the goods in my hand. i will make contact when I am ready. can't remember things too long anymore.

PS> the reason for the equipment is for our trip out west starting in May. Plan to head to Banff AB. via Wyoming back through Vancouver and down your way into California etc. wanted some good navigation tools.

Thanks again.

Bruce

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Bruce, just to give you some options, here is the unit that I have on my H3 Hummer, and will be installing an identical unit in the bus soon.

The Alpine IVA-W505 In Dash MultiMedia Station http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=IVA-W505 is the head unit, and the Alpine PMD-B200 BlackBird Navigation is the navigation unit. http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PMD-B200

I can pull out the Blackbird out of the hummer and put it in the bus, when I get the new Dash MultiMedia unit installed in the bus. It has all the audio/video capabilities too and rear camera input.

Just check them both out for your needs.

Gary S.

02-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Sounds like you have box full of these units. Why don't I just wait until you have mastered the install on your two vehicles. I'll stop by on my way out west, and you can get frustrated watching me try and install one, take over and I cook dinner. the only problem will be finding my way.

Nice unit.

Jerry Winchester
02-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Bruce,

You get the same stuff on the Kenwood unit that you got on the original unit installed from Marathon. I get the screen with the generator gauges, battery volts, tank levels, etc.

It just does all that stuff Brian spoke about as well. And I get stock and market information so I can see if Trukman has been out buying my stock like he says or if he is just jerking me around..........

02-09-2009, 05:37 PM
It sounds good. I bet that I can make this into a five day job if I do it. The camera will all of a sudden be looking forward but I will give it a try.