PDA

View Full Version : Rat Alert

garyde
02-08-2009, 11:18 PM
:mad:IN PREPARING FOR OUR TRIP TO HAVASU THIS NEXT WEEK, I began inspecting all systems yesterday. I found Rat droppings around the engine compartment, water tanks, and webasto. After washing everything down, I set traps and bait. I am awaiting results.
Just a reminder for all of you who store outside or in unsecured areas to check your Coaches . Rats can cause serious and expensive damage to your Coach.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Rats or mice are a hazard no matter where you store your coach. As long as we have had a coach we have fought the battle.

Our coach has been stored in a barn and now in a tightly sealed garage and from time to time I have seen evidence of mice. I have placed De-Con packets in the water bay, in the spaces under the cabinets, and in various places in the garage. I do not see evidence now, but shortly after we got this coach there were droppings in various places.

I don't care if they want to travel with us, but I do care about their potential to chew the insulation off wires.

MangoMike
02-09-2009, 09:49 AM
With three kids this rat has cost me plenty.

mm

Jerry Winchester
02-09-2009, 12:00 PM
I know rats and mice are a real problem in some areas, but I saw the damage a squirrel did in a coach the other day and it was staggering.

It filled the area around the water tank with acorns, chewed thru a bunch of wires which ultimately shut most of the coach systems down. I have to think they are as bad as rats an almost as prolific.

Will Garner
02-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Hey JDUB,

Is that a brown Scout sitting behind you in your Avatar? Did you finally give in and have the "Big Orange" painted over or is this a second Scout? All the Scouts around here have long since gone down the old iron oxide highway.

Jerry Winchester
02-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Will,

That is actually the original color of the orange Scout. That photo was taken my sophomore year in college and as you can see it is still running sans rust or overhaul.

JDUB

MangoMike
02-09-2009, 09:11 PM

I'm thinking it would be appropriate to see a 600 pixel blow up of this avatar. I'm sure Loc and others would agree.

mm

hhoppe
02-09-2009, 09:40 PM
I suggest you put cotton balls soaked with peppermint extract in the engine, wiring and other areas they are evident. I had a wire chewing shutdown problem on my other coach. It took me two days to track down the problem.
Tough problem to overcome. If I was one of those critters, I would want a nice warm home in a bus during the winter. Good Luck.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Does that treatment work on mice?

garyde
02-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Well, they've cleaned out two trays of Dcon, eaten all the peanut butter off a spring trap w/o springing it, side stepped all of the glue pads, and left me a nice thank you note.

rfoster
02-10-2009, 11:04 PM
GaryD: Send the varmits to D.C. with the rest of them.

jello_jeep
02-11-2009, 06:05 AM
I don't care who you are, thats funny right there!

GaryD: Send the varmits to D.C. with the rest of them.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-11-2009, 07:03 AM
Roger,

Quit insulting the rats. The four legged ones.

hhoppe
02-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Decon!! Use only in pet proof containers. A farm supply has them. My lab got a hold of Decon carelessly left lying around at our hunting camp. The vet had me force feed him heavy salt ladden water. He upchucked the turquoise colored poison. Otherwise he would need imediate treatment to save him.

Yankee802
02-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Will rats or mice eat alkaseltzer? Works for birds real nice, bet it would for rodents as well. (not that I know from first hand experience)

lewpopp
02-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Only if the mice have indigestion or a head cold.