PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle Launch Delayed One Week

Jerry Winchester
02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Now what are we going to do?

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — NASA has delayed next week’s launch of space shuttle Discovery by at least a week over concerns about fuel valves.

Discovery had been scheduled to launch Feb. 12 on a space station construction mission. But on Tuesday, NASA said it will launch no sooner than Feb. 19.

NASA spaceflight chief Bill Gerstenmaier said more time is needed to study three gaseous hydrogen flow control valves that were replaced aboard Discovery.

If a lip of a valve were to break off during launch, it could cause serious damage. A small part of a valve broke off during the last shuttle launch, in November, but no harm was done.

Top NASA managers decided on the delay after meeting on Monday at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida to discuss launch preparations.

MangoMike
02-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Although I'm sure this is not a uncommon occurance, I wonder how many family trips this will screw up, beside mine and JDUB's.

bummer.

merle&louise
02-03-2009, 09:20 PM
They can't cancel the launch, Louise has already made a chicken & sausage gumbo! And Mardi Gras is the next week!

What are those guys thinking!:eek:

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but we are going to Florida whether they launch or not! It's party time; we'll be in TGO on Feb. 11-14 with or without NASA! They can't rain on our parade!

We'll be in Port St. Lucie Feb. 8-10 to visit Lew & Paul & any other POGGERS who are around.

We don't need no stinkin' NASA to have a party:D

Coloradobus
02-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Well, our schedule is flexible. But those travelling with us may not be. One or our group of three has a boat ride to catch around the 19th. The other is wintering in Fla, near Tampa, so they will be local. So, we will need to have a kitchen pow-wow.

rfoster
02-03-2009, 09:53 PM
:cool:
Tuga: My float is already on the road! Come on down.

Nasa: Just like the Post Office

merle&louise
02-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Roger,

We'll be in PSL Sunday afternoon (Feb 8th). Let's do supper!

Jerry Winchester
02-03-2009, 10:04 PM
And I now have three adult and one child's ticket for the KSC Visitors Center to view the launch along with a parking pass I need to get rid of.

Joe Cannarozzi
02-03-2009, 10:38 PM
It's simple just extend your stays. What could be more important than a prolonged vacation.

Coloradobus
02-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Joe,
Nice thought, extended vacation, but the time clock beckons. Wednesday, we will have to scrutinize our schedule. To delay or not delay, that is the question. Current timetable is agreeable with the weather, no snow, clean bus! Delaying, we could have a blizzard next week, and the bus would be stuck in the barn.:eek:

JIM KELLER
02-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Now what are we going to do?

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — NASA has delayed next week’s launch of space shuttle Discovery by at least a week over concerns about fuel valves.

Discovery had been scheduled to launch Feb. 12 on a space station construction mission. But on Tuesday, NASA said it will launch no sooner than Feb. 19.

NASA spaceflight chief Bill Gerstenmaier said more time is needed to study three gaseous hydrogen flow control valves that were replaced aboard Discovery.

If a lip of a valve were to break off during launch, it could cause serious damage. A small part of a valve broke off during the last shuttle launch, in November, but no harm was done.

Top NASA managers decided on the delay after meeting on Monday at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida to discuss launch preparations.

Is this from the Acme bag of tricks ?

ajducote
02-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Is this from the Acme bag of tricks ?

No, the local news here is saying it is postponed "at least" a week, could be longer. I would not make any plans based on a launch on the 19th. It could happen, but it could be delayed even more.

We plan on having a grand old time with whoever shows up on the original schedule.

jack14r
02-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Jerry thanks for letting us know,I was really looking forward to this trip.I guess we should blame the current administration,they did not pay their taxes on time.

merle&louise
02-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Come on guys let's all go down and have a great mini rally. Reservations are made - some guys are already on their way (Roger & Micki) - let's do it. The exciting part of the rally is seeing everyone - the reason for the rally is secondary.

Let's take this lemon and make some lemonade:D

phorner
02-04-2009, 08:19 AM
We're still on for the party with our POG friends.... the shuttle launch would have been a nice add-on, but there will be a couple more before the program ends.

See ya next week..:)

rfoster
02-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Tuga & Karen: I'm hungry, let's eat. See you at PSL as planned.

Jack is right. If the new administration had paid their taxes, just think how good things would/could be.

truk4u
02-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Keep your plans for TGO, it's still a mini rally!;)

We will sure miss the Acme Crew, but those two weenies probably had something to do with the Shuttle Delay. The concern is Wiley Coyote riding on the side of the external fuel tanks and causing tile damage when he falls off at flight level 100.:rolleyes:

Besides, now I don't have to try out my new Intrusion Alert System recently installed to detect sheep molesters in the dark of night!

Pete
02-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Well, our bus is mostly packed for the trip, the road-kill armadillo is aged, I found a great pine plank to cook it on for Jim Keller, so we are still planning to make the trip to TGO.
Will see every one there..God willing.
Pete & E.J.

Jamie Bradford
02-04-2009, 07:10 PM
We still plan on being there........ I do not think missing the shuttle fly by for a few minutes will have a negative effect on the trip.

It is cold as %#$@ here and I wish we were down there NOW!:mad:

Jamie:cool:

02-05-2009, 08:42 AM
The shuttle launch has to be considered a bonus, I for one did not expect to see it go off based on past experience.

Lets make it a true rally and plan on attaching a few thousand bottle rockets to Jerry's bus and launch it while we are there.

Jerry Winchester
02-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Jim,

Man it hurts that you think we would pass on any inaccurate information....

Just take some of these and call MangoMike.

kenrobertson
02-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Rick and I will be there as planned. The boss thinks we are coming over there to WORK, so we don't want to dissappoint him. We are bringing the marguerita machine just in case we run out of WORK.:)

JIM KELLER
02-06-2009, 07:24 PM
:cool:We are having a mini and I mean mini board meeting of the POG group at the Keller Compound Campground and have determined the booze is good and the steak is better. But aside from that - since the launch has been postponed - we should all gather at Mango Mikes sometime in the not to distant future and send Jdub the bill .

Any takers?

Steve Cooper
02-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Ken, I've known you to mix a little work with a lot of downtime so it's just another day. Rick will work enough for both of you.
Have fun.
Steve

rickdesilva
02-06-2009, 09:15 PM
This screws up our plans, Wendy and I can't make it however our friends from NJ (Dators) are attempting to keep it on their schedule. So if you see a Gold/Black Bluebird pulling a grand cherokee with a BIG German Shephard don't hurt them. He just joined the POG discussion board as "Bluebirds Rule";)

Joe Cannarozzi
02-07-2009, 03:55 AM
Nice Rick invite a guy with a Bluebird and then run off and send him in alone:eek::D

Hook them up with the Tuga mobile:) What is that thing he drives, I forget:confused:

merle&louise
02-07-2009, 09:55 AM
It's a Newellvost:D

We can call the Dators' coach a PreBird. Bluvost is taken!

Welcome to POG Dators, you are in a great group of guys & gals (with the exception of 8 or 10)! Just kidding; look forward to meeting you @ TGO.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-07-2009, 03:51 PM
I think it is great we are getting SOBs (some other brand). We have learned a lot from Tuga's Newell and I am sure once we get to meet the Dators we will learn what Bluebird does to handle some things on their coach.

We have embraced the concept of diversity.