PDA

View Full Version : Hopkins tire air monitor system $359

Danss
01-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Does anyone have experience with this system from Camper World? To monitor all tires it would be $89 more. Dan

merle&louise
01-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Dan,

I looked at the Hopkins system, and it looks like the TireMate system that I had about 10 years ago. I had trouble with the TireMate: the sending units were screwed onto the tire air valves and they would get scraped up when I hit a curb. Or the batteries inside the sending units woud short out when it rained. Or they would just give a false reading; telling me I had a flat when I didn't.

I now have a Smartire system, and I like it much better. I had a bad sensor in the passenger side front tire, but the company has replaced it with a new one at no charge. These sensors fit inside the tires so they should remain dry and protected from curb damage.

The SmartTire is considerably more expensive than the Hopkins system. Like anything mechanical it can and sometimes does give trouble.

Ray Davis and a few others here on POG have the SmartTire and they seem to like it.

My Smartire has an audible alarm that notifies me when my tire loses 16# of air. Since the cause of most blowouts is a loss of air pressure, the system could give a warning BEFORE the tire blows. That to me is worth a lot!:)
Not only in protecting me and my family, but in possibly saving me the cost of replacing a tire.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-28-2009, 10:27 PM
get scraped up when I hit a curb.

protected from curb damage.

So Tuga, I guess it goes without saying " DON'T HIT THE CURBS" :o :eek: :D

Sorry for picking on you Tuga, I had a New type of Cocktail tonight, and it REALLY HIT THE SPOT, if you know what I mean... !! ? :p

Gary S.

merle&louise
01-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Gary,

Take it easy on that juice - that stuff can jump up and bite you!:D

Do you have a tire monitoring system on that American conversion? If so, what kind?

Why don't you and Peg come to the Space Shuttle rally? It's going to be the last shuttle launch as I understand it. We're going to have a good group.

Ray Davis
01-29-2009, 12:29 AM
My Smartire has an audible alarm that notifies me when my tire loses 16# of air.

Hey Tuga, even better, you have complete flexibility in programming each axle's desired pressure, and you can control the amount of pressure loss to trigger a warning, and the alarm.

Ray

merle&louise
01-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks Ray, I only have Smartire on the 2 front tires. I am going to add it to the tow car and the rear of the coach in a few months. I just wanted to try it out before I purchased the whole system.

Thanks for the update.

truk4u
01-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Brian put Pressue Pro on my Liberty and it seems to work well.

Danss
01-29-2009, 08:20 AM
I am confused! When you go to the Smart Tire Website it tells you it can be purchased at Camper World. When you go to that link guess what? The Hopkins tire Monitor comes up! I need a clue!

merle&louise
01-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Sounds like some creative advertising on Camping World's part. Just give them a call and tell them which system you are interested in buying.

BrianE
01-29-2009, 12:36 PM
After visiting The Hopkins website: http://www.nvisionsafety.com/TPMS and the Dorian website: http://www.doranmfg.com/rvtirepressuremonitors.htm, I called the Hopkins tech support folks and have come to the conclusion that the wheel sensors for these products are identical. The specs are the same and they are both made in China. There appears to be some difference in the monitor panels however with Hopkins claiming almost double the reception distance as the Dorian. The price seems to be more or less equal with both units. The Pressure Pro system that I purchased for Tom's bus is identical to the earlier Dorian unit but Pressure Pro is now an independent company that seems to be made up of independent dealers as I couldn't locate a Pressure Pro company per see on the internet. I really liked this system and would purchase it again unless I can talk Tom out of his. :D

Bottom line is all of these units seem to be very similar with the latest entry (Hopkins) claiming more range and a nicer monitor panel. FWIW

Tully
01-29-2009, 01:34 PM
The retail on this is $399.00.

A seller on Ebay is selling these units new for $274.88.
This includes six sensors.

Two additional sensors can be purchsed for $64.00.

Looks like a pretty simple and straight forward system.

Thoughts?

Tully

tdelorme
01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Tully, is this the system on eBay your talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KENWORTH-SEMI-TRACTOR-TRAILERS-TIRE-PRESSURE-MONITOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1199Q7c66 Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c2 93Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZ item120363879788QQitemZ120363879788QQptZOtherQ5fVe hicleQ5fParts

Ray Davis
01-29-2009, 05:13 PM
The Smartire system is sold through dealers. In the US the one I used is Dickman Tires in Junction City Oregon. http://www.dickmantires.com/

They are very knowledgeable about this system, and very responsive.

Ray

jack14r
01-29-2009, 08:25 PM
I have a Pressure Pro system and it has worked very well,the sensors look like the other brands and the description on the Hopkins web site is the same as the Pressure Pro.I have sensors on my toad also,I doubt that we would feel a tire down on it and could do some major damage if we did not know that one went down.

Tully
01-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Ted:

No, that is not the system. The system is item #: 250365091979.

Take a look,

Tully