PDA

View Full Version : PU Truck question

Joe Cannarozzi
01-25-2009, 09:48 AM
We have managed to get 160000+ miles out of the original stock single exhaust on Debs 98 Ram 2WD with single exhaust, accept for the catalytic.

There is complete accessibility to entirely and both manifolds, lots of room.

I am interested in replacing the whole 9 yards and go with headers and duel exhaust.

I want nothing real loud but possibly better performance w/o sacrificing mileage. It is also important that it be able to pass emissions and utilize the existing 02 sensor and corresponding wiring to it. Also can anyone shed some light on so called preformance catalyists?

Anyone switch to headers for their PU?

flyu2there
01-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Joe,

I have an 07 Ram 4 X 4 that came with a 6 spd and an anemic "Hemi" that managed to get lousy mileage and was not the performing engine that I remembered from my youth!

I chipped the engine, lost all of that restrictive plastic air intake junk, installed cold air induction, added a throttle body spacer, Hedman headers, ran a three inch ss pipe all the way back to a single Flow Master. Dual exhaust was not in the cards, fuel tank was in the way. I left the original catalytic converter, the headers were pre drilled for the 02 sensor.

No significant increase in mileage but the performance shot way up and it sounds very nice. I think the whole package was about a grand and a couple of days busting knuckles and practicing profanity...well worth it!

John

phorner
01-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Joe,

My brother-in-law did the same up-grade to his Hemi pick-up. He was looking for better sound and increased mileage.

The increase in torque was dramatic.

However, the down side was that the truck now sounds so sweet, and performs so well, that it's all but impossible to drive it without putting your foot in it.....:D

So,...... there went the mileage :eek:

Joe Cannarozzi
01-25-2009, 02:53 PM
I found Hooker ram horn design that bolt up to the stock crossover pipe if you so choose and they look good have thick flanges and are the shorter ones.

What I could use help with is the tube length and diameter thing.

3.73 gear with 16 in tires at 60 or 65mph not in overdrive it turns 2500 rpm or so. That is where, when I'm towing I'm looking for better response.

Compatibility is as important as something that will hold up as good as what I'm taking off.

John this one is a 318

My 04 is a Hemi but 2WD short bed standard cab and that same 3.73 rear end and it runs really good. I am lookin forward to a chip and K&N filter but IMO it don't need it.

flyu2there
01-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Joe,

Headers and dual exhaust would be fun however, I think that you will get more bang for the buck by putting in a mild Jet Chip, Cold Air Induction (K and N is a good one) and a decent Flow Master. There's an outfit in Texas that sells these bolt on upgrades as packages and they are really priced right!

As mentioned, I got the headers, cold air, throttle body spacer and chip for just a shade under a grand. Without the headers and it was in the 500.00 range, maybe less. I bought the 3 inch exhaust pipe locally as the Flow Master; mine was three inches to the Y then down to 2.5 to the muffler....bad. As you know, an engine is just a pump and the less restrictions you have on the intake and exhaust, the better the pump. That mountain of plastic junk that came on the engine...whew!! The muffler was half the length of a football field and they had a resonator on there to boot!
The mild Jet Chip re maps the ignition and fuel and as a bonus dropped my running temperature, not quite as lean. I have a 3.55 rear end and it really needs a thousand pounds or so back there if you get on it. They sold a handful of 07's with the Getrag 6 spd stick before someone decided no...probably Daimler.

I don't recall what the percentages are however I do recall that headers are a way down the list when compared to the other bolt on items available.

John

Joe Cannarozzi
01-25-2009, 05:54 PM
I was told that with the Hemi a "cat back" system is the way to go. That the stock exhaust from the cat forward was very hard to improve. So I agree.

I'm dealing with My wifes PU, a 1998 318 with garbage deteriorating factory cast manifolds and they need to be replaced.

If I can find something nicer I would prefer it.

So far this is what I am leaning towards. Hooker

http://www.holley.com/data/products/pictures/large5012HKR.jpg

I can use the factory y-pipe and catalytic with this choice and then 3 inch pipe bent correctly to the right muffler. I do not have a problem with single exhaust if it works good and sounds good.

John this truck also already has the chip and a K&N filter too:) I think that with the current overdrive combined with the current trend towards over sized tires the choices for rear axle ratios is lacking. Currently 3.73 is as big as it gets at dodge.

When I was younger I had a 340 with duel mufflers and duel resonators and we pulled the mufflers and went with just the resonators and it was the best sounding exhaust I have ever had.

flyu2there
01-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Joe,

You are reminding me of a project I have just finished, after 5 weeks! I have a Volkswagen (Winnebago) Rialta that needed front disc brake pads.....pulled of the wheel decided to replace the rotors as well. Hell, doing the front, do the back...wait time for parts, 1 week, forget about the special tools I needed, now wait time, 2 weeks. While looking at the brakes, I noticed that the cheapo vinyl graphics were looking shabby, so, while waiting for parts, out comes the heat gun. Guess what, got the old graphics off but also the paint...seems that Winnebago put them on over green paint, some chemical karma happened and they didn't come off without the paint. Finished the brakes ...now a repaint. No worries, I have painted before! Start preparing the vehicle, who put this thousand pounds of silicone everywhere...all has to come off! Sand, sand, sand, sand, sand and just for giggles, more sanding...mask, mask, mask, mask and a little more masking....time for completion, 1 week. Too much crap on the side of this thing, need to pull it off....vents, hookups, plugs, decals....add one more week. Time for paint, oh what to use...that's it, big sides, forgiving, I will two stage the thing...bad call. I use a lo temp reducer and hardener and the day I shoot the clear...85 degrees....uh oh..too late..it's getting warm outside. The stuff is orange peeled outta the gun............gawd! Got it, painted an airplane or two in my day, IMRON...no can't buy that here, hows about polyurethane....but I have to sand, sand , sand all of this orange peeled stuff off! Spect a gallon will cover this dude, its only 22 feet long....wrong again...needed two gallons, course Jose A or was that hose B at the paint shop didn't quite make the match...where are we about week 4? Sand, sand, sand, sand, sand....re-mask, re-mask, re-mask...were ready to go! So I shot the whole thing last Friday and it turned out nice....but, about a grand worth of paint (white) countless hours of prep....I should have left it alone.:( It's all white and has decent paint and good brakes, now just where to mount the POG sticker..maybe I will tow the thing..............

You get my drift,

John

Joe Cannarozzi
01-25-2009, 06:57 PM
The key to avoid broken studs is to get them out before they get too old, and candle wax.

dreamchasers
01-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Joe,

I'll bite.

What does Candle Wax do for a stud?

Hector

Will Garner
01-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Joe,

Go for the headers. Better air flow equals more power. The power may not be in the rpm range you are looking at. With 160,000 miles on the engine I would be looking at an engine rebuild with a custom camshaft that puts the power curve peak where you want it. Hey, why not pull the tired 318 and plug in a built 340? Oh yeah, you did say this was the wife's truck!

I have not been inside a gasoline engine for 20 years. Try finding and talking with the Ramchargers - I think they were early Mopar muscle men from Chicago. They did insane things like stuffing a 426 Hemi into a '65 Barracuda or Dodge Dart.

That's my two cents.