PDA

View Full Version : GFI Trips

LarryB
01-25-2009, 12:51 AM
While running down the road with only engine running, both inverters on, we attempted to use a "Crock Pot" slow cooker. It worked well for awhile then the GFI would trip.

I expected a breaker to open if we had an overloaded circuit but not the GFI. The cooker is rated at 250 watts. The GFI does trip occasionally when switching power sources. Suppose it is time to R&R the GFI?

Suggestions anyone?

OBTW, my supper was done to perfection when we arrived for the night, but did start the Gen. to finish up the cooking.

Thanks

jello_jeep
01-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Larry, usually if you have a gfi acting up, the first thing to do is replace it. Also you might consider tripping the GFI and then checking other receptacles to see if they are still hot. It could control a number of them, and you might have a larger load plugged into others.

They will trip when overloaded, in my experience.

Second, when buying receptacles, make sure you the the kind that allows you to tighten up screws to secure the wires, and tighten the heck out of them.

The kind you stab the wires into the back of, then if you have to remove the wire, you have to poke a wire inside of... are CRAP.

Thats why if you go into Lowes, you see receptacles for .59 and for 3.50.. Always use the high dollar stuff on your own projects and you will avoid problems down the road.

The actual plug is tighter too, you wont have cords falling out etc. Usually they have a grounding bond too. All good stuff.

Good luck!

dalej
01-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Larry,

Do you have a GFI breaker or GFI receptacle?

LarryB
01-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Warren, thanks for the info. I will plan on an R&R once I get stopped for a few days.

Dale, I have a GFI receptacle. The odd thing is, the coach has 2 that I have found, left and right in bdrm. The cooker was plugged into the left side outlet in the galley but the right side GFI was tripping.

flyu2there
01-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Larry,

Country Coach puts a 15 amp GFI plug in the bedroom then wires all outlets that are owner accessible, downstream from that same GFI. It is fairly easy to overload the thing and common for the GFI to trip when switching power sources, especially if it is under a load. One can install a 20 amp GFI unit into the plug that will illiminate most nusance trips, however Country Coach is fond of 14 gauge romex for household wiring vice the 12 gauge that should really be used with a 20 amp unit hence one could create a potential hazzard.

The odd thing in your description is that when the generator was operating everything was normal, I presume this was after a GFI reset, which leads me to believe that one or both of the inverters may be at fault. The inverters draw power from the house battteries and those same batteries are being charged by the engine. I am probably going out on a limb her, but my suspicion would be that one or more of the house batteries may be ill which is giving sporadic lo voltage to the inverters which in turn causes the GFI to trip under a load while on battery power. Think I might look there......

John

flyu2there
01-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Larry,

Just read your reply...have a look at your electrical (AC) distribution schematic. I think you will find just one GFI in the system (in the bedroom) and that someone may have added a second unit but, perhaps yours was wired with two. In any event, I would still have a look "downstairs".

John

garyde
01-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi Larry.
You should have two separate 20 amp circuits from your breaker panel on 12 gauge wire feeding first to one of two GFI receptacles and then downstream to the remaining receptacles. I believe mine are wired Port side for one circuit and Starboard for the other. Approx. 4-5 receptacles on each circuit.
On mine, Coffee receptacle is on a separate dedicated breaker, not GFI.
If you have a digital volt meter, check voltage to your GFI's under load when using the inverters.

dalej
01-25-2009, 03:20 PM
We have GFI breaker in the panel (2) for feeding the kitchen and bath. This in my opinion is the best solution for you. Just put regular receptacles in and use the GFI breakers.

flyu2there
01-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi Larry.
You should have two separate 20 amp circuits from your breaker panel on 12 gauge wire feeding first to one of two GFI receptacles and then downstream to the remaining receptacles. I believe mine are wired Port side for one circuit and Starboard for the other. Approx. 4-5 receptacles on each circuit.
On mine, Coffee receptacle is on a separate dedicated breaker, not GFI.
If you have a digital volt meter, check voltage to your GFI's under load when using the inverters.

Gary,

Agreed, unfortunately Country Coach really doesn't do it that way. CC runs one circuit to the outlets, they are all protected thru a 15 amp receptacle GFI with, you guessed it, 14 gauge romex. Two in the salon, one in the galley, one in the bath, one in the bedroom. The televisions/Bose are on dedicated 20 amp circuits as is the convection microwave with another to the dishwasher, if installed, plus a spare for those who get cunning in the options department. Now, mind you, all the schematics that I have been able to collect (by hook and crook) are good only up to the year 2000, I have nothing newer plus I am certain there are a number of modifications out here as well.

Dale,

IMHOP panel mounted GFI breakers are lousy, at best. I cannot tell you how many of those overpriced things I have replaced in houses, never seen one in a motorhome or conversion, but I will yield to the fact that they may have improoved. Anyway I have had nothing but bad luck with them unless I conviently forget to hook up the second neutral, then they work fone, just don't test!:D

John

dalej
01-25-2009, 08:17 PM
John, we haven't had any trouble with ours. We have two circuits in our home too.

garyde
01-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi John. that's real puzzling about the 15 amp circuit w/ 14 guage wire. I thought the code was real specific for mobile and motor homes when it came to wire guage and circuit protection for the Galley or kitchen area. I will have to look into it.

LarryB
01-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Well, I guess I have a modified electrical system. 2 GFI, 4 outlets in salon, 5 in galley, 1 in bath, and 2 GFI in bdrm.

I'll be checking the drawings when we get parked for a few days.

The Batts are 6ea. 8Ds, one month old, and, dare I say it, no other electical problems, just the 'weak' GFI.

gmcbuffalo
01-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Larry
In my coach I have circuits labeled driver and passinger side. I have found that, especially in the kitchen dinning area, a dirves label circuit can be found on the passinger side and visa versa. Throw the CB on the panel and see what outlets and applicances are hot.
GregM