PDA

View Full Version : Routing around LA

LarryB
01-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Anyone have first hand knowledge of US 395 from Four Corners east of Mojave on 58 to connect with I 15south of Victorville? Want to stay out of most of the LA area going to Palm Springs.

flyu2there
01-24-2009, 07:29 AM
Where are you coming from? If you are Southbound on 395, just stay on it until it merges with the 15, out there by Hesperia. Highway 58 is mainly used by truckers trying to by pass LA, and the scales; 5 to 99, thru Bakersfield, up and over the Tehachapi Pass down into Mojave, thence high desert. Highway 58 isn't too bad, however, as mentioned, lots and lots of large trucks. The State has been working on the road for years and it seems to me its nearly all 4 lane, save just a few areas....only real caution is that it can get some serious wind up there this time of the year, watch the weather. You miss LA but not necessarily the traffic, and it is SLOW.

Should you be on the 5 Southbound, personally I would stay on the 5 up and over the Grapevine and jump onto the 210 just past Magic Mountain. Stay on the 210 all the way to San Bernadino where it merges with the 10 just prior to the Banning Pass, don't be tempted with 15 or 215...that just takes you down into the LA traffic. Two snags on this route, first being that as you approach Pasadena from the West you want to get over into the Right Lanes as staying on the freeway requires an exit...otherwise you will end up on Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena, no bueno! The second is the temptation to exceed 60 mph coming off the Banning Pass on the 10 inbound to Palm Springs. 55 is the posted in the entire State if you are towing anything but you can get away with 60...... I swear that the "fastest" freeway on the planet is the 10 between Palm Springs and Banning, the Highway Patrol knows this as well.:cool:

Kevin Erion
01-24-2009, 09:31 AM
I 2nd the 210 FWY all the way to the end! It's just to easy and you do miss most of the LA stuff.

LarryB
01-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Fly and Kevin, thanks for the input.
We are planning Bakersfield to Palm Springs area Monday AM and thought the LA area would be a zoo as most places on Mondays. We will use 210.

Thanks. See you guys in Havasu?