PDA

View Full Version : TOAD restrictions

bonhall41
01-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Does anyone pulling a TOAD with a speed restriction (55 or 65 mph) have any experience with going over that limit? We're trying to narrow down our choices and have found that many have speed restrictions and we do usually drive faster than 55 or 65--whatever the posted limit is. We don't know if this is a CYA thing or if actual damage can occur if you exceed that speed. We need to get a vehicle that my elderly mother can get in and out of so our choices are limited. We would appreciate help on this matter. Thanks.

Bonnie

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Bonnie, didn't you post that you bought a trailer?

JIM

Coloradobus
01-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Bonnie,

All stick shift Subarus are flat towable, and lower in height than other SUV's, with no speed or distance restrictions.
We found on a past towed car, a 2000 SW 2 Saturn Station Wagon, the speed 65mph restriction was a liability thing for Saturn at the time, noty machanical.
I spoke to a Saturn engineer back in 2000, and told him our legal speed in some western states was 75. "Would we damage the car in any way mechanically towing at our posted legal speed??" His answer was NO.
Hope this helps.

bonhall41
01-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Jim,
We do have a trailer but it's a stacker for two cars. We use that when Donald is racing to haul the race car and a street car or if we carry a car and golf cart. When we just need a street car, we don't want to pull the big trailer. Also, I'm not too crazy about driving a stick shift and Donald doesn't want 4WD. That really narrows down the list considerably.

Bonnie

merle&louise
01-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Bonnie,

We tow a 2005 Honda Pilot with all wheel drive. It is towable 4 wheels down according to the manufacturer. They recommend 65 mph max and stop every 8 hours and start the engine and then run thru the gears while the engine is idling.

I drive 65mph. Louise drives 70mph. Most of the time we remember to stop after 8 hours of driving but not always. If we are trying to make some time we have driven 12 hours in a day. We have not had any problems exceeding the speed limit set by Honda nor exceeding the 8 hour time frame.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. I think the manufacturer is just covering all the bases when they make these recommendations on towing speed. That being said I would just stay around 65-70 mph.

How fast do you guys drive?:eek:

Joe Cannarozzi
01-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Bonnie what vehicle would be the best for mom and why don't you use it.

You could get a mid-size SUV 2WD and pull it 4 down with a drive shaft disconnect.

I remember with my mom she always had a hard time with the smaller lower vehicles.

bonhall41
01-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Mom hasn't driven for over 4 years so we're replacing her car with something towable. She has a 2001 Buick LeSabre that she gets in and out of easily. She has trouble with our Excursion and my Mercedes convertible doesn't have room in the trunk for her wheelchair that she uses if she would have to do much walking. Normally she uses a walker that also has to fit somewhere. So what we're trying to do is get one vehicle to do double duty. We're leaving a week from Sunday for Daytona so don't guess we'll get anything done before then and will tow my car on an open trailer.
She's pretty picky about all this stuff. Joe, you know how all those ladies from Ohio are. :p
By the way, we drive the speed limit--or pretty close.

bonhall41
01-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Sorry, Joe. It's Jim who's from Ohio. :o

Joe Cannarozzi
01-24-2009, 12:02 AM
I was trying to suggest that it does not necessarily have to be a compact, stick or a 4WD to be tow able.

What would you like to tow that you don't think you can?

Coloradobus
01-24-2009, 12:40 AM
How about Oldsmobile Alero, they aren't made any longer but there are still some late models with lo mileage out there. Friends of ours used to tow a early 90's caddy front wheel drive with a Remco Lube Pump thousands of miles with perfect performance.
The 2007-08 Ford 500 sedan is towable without modifications, and since Ford resurrected the Taurus name plate attached to the 500 model.
How about the Ford Flex sort of station wagon??

bonhall41
01-24-2009, 10:50 AM
I think the Ford Flex is really cute and that would be my first choice. Donald would rather buy something used and I would like to have something that we don't have to mess around disconnecting a driveshaft or something. Do we sound picky or what?! I'm sure we'll agree on something sooner or later but any information is appreciated since we're new at all this.

Bonnie

Joe Cannarozzi
01-24-2009, 03:00 PM
The driveshaft disconnect can be done by a pull of a knob or the flick of a switch both from the drivers seat.

jelmore
01-24-2009, 05:48 PM
I've been told by a Ford dealer that the Ford Flex is towable all four wheels down in either in the AWD or FWD models. It's on my wish list. Linda won't budge.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-24-2009, 07:19 PM
There you go Bonnie.

Coloradobus
01-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Bonnie,

They are correct. We tow a E-350 Ford 1t Airstream Camper B Class van that has a driveshaft disconnect. One pull of the lever by the driver's seat and the "B" will roll freely.

bonhall41
01-25-2009, 11:25 AM
The ease of disconnecting the drive shaft opens up the possibilities. I thought you had to get under the vehicle and do some serious work. I wanted something I could handle myself if necessary. Thanks.

Bonnie

Joe Cannarozzi
01-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Many other front wheel drive cars can also be towed with a trans circulating pump that is good in terms of user friendlyness.

Yankee802
01-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Jeeps are super easy. :)

Coloradobus
01-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Bonnie,

We use the driveline disconnect that Remco towing has. For our E-350 1ton Airstream Ford van, the cost was about 1200 dollars installed. See www.remcotowing.com or call 1800-228-2841 and talk to Calvin.
There is also another small independent company in Tucson. Do a Google search using terms like "driveline disconnect."

Good Luck:)

bonhall41
01-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all the information. We probably won't be able to get anything done before our trip to Daytona since we'll be gone next week also but we need to take care of everything before our next trip in the bus. I'd still like the Ford Flex but Donald thinks it's too big. We could always put a Remco device on the Excursion if we want big. Hope to meet up with all of you sometime soon.

Bonnie

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Bonnie, IMO don't convert the Excursion. I owned a beautiful 4 x 4 2001 Diesel Excursion and labored long and hard before selling it and getting a Hummer to Tow and make into my daily driver. I loved my truck.:(

Greg is the only one here that tows an Excursion, and while I know it works, the question is " Are you pulling the Excursion, or Pushing the Bus". :eek:

Just my Thoughts, No matter what they are worth.

Gary S.