PDA

View Full Version : Today's Market

phorner
01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Here's the vocabulary lesson for today......

“Liquidity”

When you look at your investments and wet your pants. :eek:

lonesome george
01-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Is the glass half full, one third full, or almost empty full?
I wet my pants about six months ago.

Will Garner
01-21-2009, 08:53 AM
An optimistic person looks at a glass that is 50% full and sees it as positive. A pessimistic person looks at a glass that is 50% full and sees it as negative. An Engineer on the other hand looks at both of theses glasses and sees them as 100% over designed!:D

So, moral of the story - its all in the eye of the beholder.

Later guys and gals ..

Joe Cannarozzi
01-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Wills point of view stems from his prolonged exposure to mopar exhaust fumes.

dale farley
01-21-2009, 09:23 AM
When we bought our bus last year, I had two choices: I could take the money out of an investment fund and pay for the bus, or I could finance it for a few years. I decided that if I took it out of the fund, the money would just be tied up in a depreciating asset. If I financed it, I would just pay on it, deduct the interest as a vacation home, and the money would still be in the investment fund when I die. I figured my son had rather have the fund than a bus. My portfolio is supposed to be in a low/medium risk category. I am so glad it wasn't in a high-risk fund.

This is one of those cases where the bus "almost" might be considered an appreciating asset (at least, a less-depreciating asset) when compared to my investment fund. At this time, I wouldn't have lost nearly as much with the bus as I have with the investment fund. Of course, I am somewhat optimistic that someday the investment fund will go back up, and I will feel better about my original rationale. Of course, ALL IS NOT LOST for everyone; my fund manager keeps getting thousands every year whether I win or lose.

Jamie Bradford
01-21-2009, 09:30 PM
If you are looking for an "asset" that will appreciate---- do not buy a bus......

If you are looking for something that is fun as #@$% and will serve as a great hobby ....... then buy a bus.

At the end of the day ( or night ) I do not think any of our kids will begrudge us for the enjoyment we attained at their expense..............

Enjoying the #@$% out of it............:cool:

Jamie

Joe Cannarozzi
01-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Paul I had an E-Mail today suggesting ways to profit from pessimism:rolleyes:

phorner
01-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Hey, I'm no pessimist....

One of the advantages of having very little money is that you have very little to lose :D

I'm just waitin' for that nice, fat, stimulus check to come rollin' in any day now...

Joe Cannarozzi
01-22-2009, 06:35 PM
I think ya gotta have a job to qualify:D

jack14r
01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Apparently some senators want those that do not have a job and file a tax return to be included in the hand out.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Well that's great news for all the sluffs around here:D