PDA

View Full Version : oil filter secrets

dalej
01-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Do any of you guys have any secrets as far as removing a oil filter? I have a 8v, don't know if you 60 guys have the same trouble.

Every time I remove the oil filter, it seems that I always get some oil on the floor. This time I unscrewed the filter a couple of turns until it started draining from the top. After it stopped draining, I then poked a hole in the filter about three inches up from the bottom and it squirted oil out far enough to miss the bucket.

I might try poking a hole in the bottom the next time before I unscrew the filter at all and then start unscrewing it.

Kenneth Brewer
01-20-2009, 05:01 PM
1. Drain the crankcase
2. Partially unscrew filter(s) and wait (as you did)
3. Do NOt poke a hole in the filter (it is still full)
4. Finish unscrewing the filter(s)
5. Wipe arm(s) off and drain remainder from pants legs

dalej
01-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Exactly! That's what I'm talking about. :)

merle&louise
01-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Dale,

When I used to change my own oil, I would punch a hole in the bottom of the filter before unscrewing it. I would let it drain overnight and remove it the next morning. It worked pretty good, but then when I removed the oil plug oil would run out and drip down my arms. So it is just a messy job.

I found a quick oil change place in town and they change & DISPOSE of the oil for $45 labor and I provide the oil and filters. I like it this way because it provides me with an invoice to prove that I changed the oil & filter every 15,000 miles.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Dale, I have one of the 14 or 15 gallon drain pans and it is big enough so I can poke a hole in the filter bottom and let it drain while I grease the bus. By the time i get back to it it has drained.

Then I rub my clothes in drain oil so it looks like i have been doing something.:D

Poking a hole is your best bet. I do not loosen it first. The crankcase is vented.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Put on a pair of disposable gloves.

Place an empty 5gal bucket under the filter.

Loosen the filter and promptly spin it off dropping it into the empty bucket.
(because the bucket is empty it will not splash)

Leave the bucket in place until the dripping stops and you install the new one.

Promptly put the bucket in a secure place so you don't knock it over AGAIN :eek:

JIM

Kevin Erion
01-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Poke a hole in the filter, they also make a replacement ball valve oil drain, no need for a wrench and no mess!

lewpopp
01-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Now can you imagine who asked this question? Dale, the most engenious member of the pack. Even an old grease monkey knows that and I'm sure you wanted Jon to devulge his magical movements.

truk4u
01-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Lew,

We know who does the greasy part of Dale's work, Jan!:p

tdelorme
01-21-2009, 11:29 AM
"Loosen the filter and promptly spin it off dropping it into the empty bucket.
(because the bucket is empty it will not splash)"

Jim, are you sure about this?? The one time I let a full filter drop into an empty bucket, I got splashed right in the face with warm oil. The filter hit the bottom of the bucket and tried to jump right out. It was one of those times when you think your brain must have fallen out.
At least wad up a bunch of old newspaper and put it in the bucket first.

dalej
01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys for the thoughts and ideas (not Tom)

Here is what I ended up doing. I made a tool that will let me place it under the filter and hit it quickly with a hammer. I will then let the filter drain. The tool is made so it lets any oil that gets on it to drain down toward the point.

One thing that I'm always glad about is buying these boxes of disposable gloves. I use them all the time when working around oil and grease. They are really nice to use when changing oil. I usually change them quite often. I bought 3 boxes at Sam's Club.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
How did you get away with no snow on the ground?

Nice tool, weenie.

dalej
01-21-2009, 06:06 PM
It's been in the 50-60's here, really nice.

I just put a new rear tire on the Harley, so I think were about ready to head to the southwest. I think we will try to leave in a week.

truk4u
01-21-2009, 06:51 PM
What was wrong with a hammer and center punch? Did you build this new tool, Joe called you a Weenie, so you wouldn't get oil on your rubber gloves! Did you forget, your the macho guy who can change a tire along side the road and not even break a sweat.:D

We don't need no stinking rubber gloves, man up big boy!:cool:

On my way to Florida.....

dalej
01-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Tom, you guys have a great trip. Take lots of photos and post them for the guys on the West side. I want to see some spectacular shots of the launch.

ronwalker
01-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Kevin, would you share some crankcase ball drain valve info with those of us who aren't trucking savvy? Quick drains work well on airplane engines and make the oil change job civilized, but how do the truck/bus folks keep them from being inadvertantly opened by road hazards, etc? Pros and cons? Source? Thanks.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-21-2009, 10:05 PM
I had one on my Cat. Nothing complicated a ball valve with a spring loaded lever to lock it in place, and that replaces the drain plug.

It was located on the side of the pan at the bottom on the Cat. The 8-V plug is on the bottom it is kinda low and I don't think I would trust it for your same concerns.

If the 60 series plugs are off the side of the pan it would be a great gadget you will love it.

ronwalker
01-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Nope, the S60 plug is on the end of the pan that goes down the road first... where my shiny new ball valve would probably snag the first road alligator it sees and somehow dump the oil. If there's not a really positive lock, I'd better keep oiling my armpits.:D

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-22-2009, 01:24 PM
This is one, but I am not to the point of trusting it.
There is too much to loose for the sake of a little time.

http://www.qwikvalve.com/home.php

JIM

Kevin Erion
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Ron,
I use a product from WWW.Fumotousa.com
I have used them on our over the road trucks and also on both my 99 and now the 01. If this hits the ground so will a lot of other parts and I will be screwed no mater what.
I change my oil only when it's hot, I can let it drain into smaller drain pans that I can pick up to put into the larger drum. Stopping the oil anytime is so easy and no mess!
I think this is the best thing going for the person that changes there own oil. You can also dope it when you install and never worry about oil leaks at the drain bolt.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Same one I was using. Kev you probably have a point.